The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2012, 07:16 AM

I've got simpler suggestions....

Make sure the guitars are at least fairly in tune. (there's nothing worse than picking up up a nice instrument, strumming a big open chord & then it sounds like @*&%%$KHmghckpUU....)

Work out the dead spots/bad frets in the lil guys too. (I might like playing that 814ce, but I really have a wallet that is screaming GS Mini right now -- either way, I can't buy your Mini Hog with dead notes & then BEG/negotiate for you to fix that. Especially when so many shops offer free setups on guitar.)

If it's been hanging there being played for months & months, how about a new set of strings? (Go ahead, drop the $3-$15 marketing money on new strings so that guitar doesn't sound dead.)

And yes -- we all hate those shops where we feel like a 10 year old in trouble playing the one from way up high on the wall. But, for some of us - that is unavoidable when shopping local. I used to visit a store that kept most of their amps in small 6x10 or 10x10 rooms with sliding doors. If you wanted to crank that amp up & check out the saturation -- go for it. However, these rooms also doubled great to demo an acoustic. Put some effort out to keep everyone happy --- A HAPPY CUSTOMER IS A RETURNING CUSTOMER!!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:17 AM

Wow, a 10-year-old thread. When someone says not to shop at Mars music, I knew it had to be old, then I checked the date. I don't mind old threads being brought up; this is a pretty good one.

Yet another phoenix rises from the ashes!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:23 AM

So a "How to sell me a Taylor" thread...
Old 06-26-2012, 07:23 AM

Ha, 10 years old... a proper zombie then.....
Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 AM

My own "pet peeve", aside from many mentioned here

Picture this scenario: (note: this is from when I was younger and so on..) Step into Brand X music store. Let the salesperson know that I am interested in a certain instrument (s). He pulls it down, plays some incredible riff or tune and then hands it to me. Yes I know that I should be more confident with my own abilities and so on, but the point is that I DO get self conscious. Simply tune it up (lets me know that you want the instrument to sound good and implies good customer service), and let me know that you will check on me later. There are times that I will ask the clerk to play so I may listen......
If you want to show off, go find a gig.....I am here to buy a guitar.
Perhaps I have been in retail too long.....
Old 06-26-2012, 09:26 AM

If you want to sell me, Don't approach me

Harmonics101
Old 06-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Music soothes the soul!

What I find incredible is the issues identified in this thread, from 2002 to now, remain close to the same. You would think sales folks would have perfected the technique by now. Still some good sales folk and still some that suck at it.

It still amazes me they don't have some cheapie belt buckle cover they hand folks entering the acoustic demo area. Nothing gripes me more than a store trying to sell at "new" guitar price with a bunch of buckle rash across the back.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:22 AM

I purchased my Taylor from Bruce at Wildwood Guitars and had a very pleasant experience. This is a stereotypical thing to say, but the majority of Americans I've met speak really fast. The first thing I noticed about Bruce was that he spoke slowly, patiently allowing me to interrupt when I accidentally did so at times, and it just made me feel a lot more comfortable discussing the guitar with him. Because I didn't feel like he was trying to talk up a sale, my mind didn't have to try race and second-guess anything he said and I was able to make the decision fully based on my own judgment of the pros and cons rather than having an assessment pushed on to me.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Wow, a 10-year-old thread. When someone says not to shop at Mars music, I knew it had to be old, then I checked the date. I don't mind old threads being brought up; this is a pretty good one.

Yet another phoenix rises from the ashes!
That's when I checked the date too!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion