The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Default How are the laminates created, Mike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
I have instruments from Somogyi, Matsuda and Beaureguard, all of which have laminant brazilian sides, and the sound of each instrument is simply astounding. If you ask each one why they use laminant sides, they will all pretty much say the same thing, much like Chicago Sandy. The laminant sides help make a very solid box, allowing you to do much more with the top and back in the design of the guitar.
Hi MikeD...
Michael Bashkin builds his guitars with two full thicknessed sets of side wood (same wood) glued together in each guitar. Is this what Somogyi, Matsuda and Beaureguard are doing as well?

Michael studied with Ervin Somogyi and loves Matsuda's work. I'm wondering if his is the same process as theirs? He says it is to give the sides the rigidity they need and then he can build the top and backs to be more responsive.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-01-2005, 03:21 PM

I have a great Taylor 410 (bright & Loud) but you know what ? i still love the sound of my first Alvarez RD8...Laminated back & sides....Not as loud as my Taylor, but it has a sweet mellow sound....For less than half the $$....I just wonder sometimes if we are paying for a name only ?
Old 05-01-2005, 05:35 PM

After reading all of these posts I have come to see that maybe solid woods offer something that laminates don't. Yet laminates can be great guitars and also have great tone to them. So, the lesson is maybe to be open minded and not turn up your nose at a guitar that is not solid wood.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jox51
Laminates suck. Solids rule. Discussion over.
64 posts in this thread so far would tend to indicate that some of us prefer longer discussions than others. The same kind of variety goes for our choices and opinions of guitars. I think that's the way it should be.

cotten
Old 05-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

LJguitar,
Yes I believe that the woods used for the sides are standard thickness and are bonded together (laminated) and then bent, hence the heavier weight associated with the instrument (same is true with Ervin's & Mario's). I've noticed that Bashkin's smaller OM-ish body is similar in shape and size to Michi's, and I've always wondered if he too learned from Ervin.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Default sides, backs etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
LJguitar,
Yes I believe that the woods used for the sides are standard thickness and are bonded together (laminated) and then bent, hence the heavier weight associated with the instrument (same is true with Ervin's & Mario's). I've noticed that Bashkin's smaller OM-ish body is similar in shape and size to Michi's, and I've always wondered if he too learned from Ervin.
Hi MikeD...
I cannot speak as to procedure for Ervin or Mario's guitars, but Michael fashions and bends two sets of sides separately and then glues them together.

I don't think the procedure we are discussing should be confused with typical laminates used in guitars. This is more of a double shell built of solid tonewood of normal thickness to hold the tops and backs more securely and to isolate them from the resonance of the top.

This is not the cost cutting feature which most laminate guitars are.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-06-2012, 01:32 PM

People are holding Gibson, Taylor, Martin guitars as the Holy Grail. They are STILL mass produced guitars, albeit better quality than "imports". Go to a real guitar makers site, like I did when I slipped into this thread. The concensus of REAL guitar makers is as stated, the sides are like the sides on a drum. I dont have a horse in this race so it doesn't affect me. What does are folks who think their massed produced, overpriced Martin is the grail. NOT
Old 02-06-2012, 02:48 PM

Personally, I prefer to look at laminate and solid wood as different flavors of ice cream.

My all solid wood Larrivee D-03R is smooth, velvety chocolate. It has a very liquid, yet clear tone without the muddiness that can often accompany a rosewood dread.

My 70's model all laminate Epiphone FT 000 is rocky road. It has a down-and-dirty mid-range hum with few overtones to get in the way. Also, something is loose in the tuning machines (or it might be a small brace) that produces this glorious rattle/buzz at certain frequencies - it's like the the illegitimate love child of a traditional acoustic and a resonator.

The Larrivee fill a room or it can purr like a cat getting it's ears scratched.

The Epiphone can growl.

I love them both. The D-03R is my main guitar, sure. But when I want to play some blues or some open E tuning Keith Richards-esque stuff, the Larrivee stays in its case.

I like things about both solid wood and laminates. I want one of those carbon fiber guitars too.

Ibanez AC240
Yamaha AC1R
Epiphone AJ220S

"It's folk music so.... you can kind of do what you want." - David Hamburger, Blues Genealogy.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:16 PM

Two points to add to this already long thread.

1) I'm not sure as one suggested that laminated guitars will not, or could not "open up" and increase their bass tones with time and playing. Since the majority of the movement is in the top near the bridge, it's possible a solid top guitar with laminated back and sides might also do his.

2) A significant difference between all solid guitars and laminated guitars with solid tops could be the quality of the solid top that is used. Even if the laminations give only a small reduction in sustain and tone, the use of the better tops on the solids will give them an edge.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:56 PM

The problem is you are comparing it to a Guild.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:10 PM

Im ok with laminates in sem-acoustic electrics but never in strait acoustics. Probably couldnt tell the difference after 30 years of playing rock bands...
Old 02-06-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jox51 View Post
Laminates suck. Solids rule. Discussion over.
Can we assume you meant this to be funny? Or are you 12 years old?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:23 PM

I also have a Seagull S6 that sounds very good as well. However, when A/B'd with any of my all wood guitars, there's something about it that's lacking. It's not quite as warm, not quite the same harmonic content, etc... Like I said, it does sound very good out of context with solid wood guitars.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 02-06-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjaboy View Post
People are holding Gibson, Taylor, Martin guitars as the Holy Grail. They are STILL mass produced guitars, albeit better quality than "imports". Go to a real guitar makers site, like I did when I slipped into this thread. The concensus of REAL guitar makers is as stated, the sides are like the sides on a drum. I dont have a horse in this race so it doesn't affect me. What does are folks who think their massed produced, overpriced Martin is the grail. NOT
You bumped a 7 yr. old thread for that nugget?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:44 PM

Hope you play better than you read pal, my opening this nugget was not to discuss brand a and B its the snobs that did that, pillock

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion