The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-14-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
...the OP should figure it out himself..
If all OPs should have figured out things for themselves, there wouldn't be any need for this forum. He's asking for help. Is it really that big a deal to provide it?
Old 09-14-2016, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
If all OPs should have figured out things for themselves, there wouldn't be any need for this forum. He's asking for help. Is it really that big a deal to provide it?
You missed the point. See my earlier post. Being helpful is not always providing ready made answers to a question. That was easy in this case. Sometimes being helpful is encouraging someone to learn how to work out something themselves, and in the long run that pays that person the greater dividends down the road.

Over the years, in the areas I know things about, I have spent a lot of time and effort trying to help out others. Do the same yourself as you are able to.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-14-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
This is a specific case, so extrapolating to "all the OPs" is really not applicable. Each case is different and should be addressed as such. In this case the "give a man a fish/teach a man to fish" adage applies.

Edit:

1pic/1K words

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...l#post12136223

Had to link to photo on another forum as currently can't attach photos here...

Picture clearly shows strings fretted at the given point in time. How hard is it to pause a video and put your fingers in the same place?

Theory is the post mortem of Music.

Last edited by Wyllys; 09-14-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:06 AM

I don't want to read music but everyone here ignores this guys link where the melody is actually written correct compared to the first YouTube link where the guy misses the important e note before open a. So there is your answer if you can read music. If you know how to listen even better. I suggest listening piano version.

Always learn songs the way that you really learn them.

1. Play the whole song as a campfire version with simple chords and hum the melody over.
2. Play the melody individually with attention to each phrase.
3. Then arrange it to your liking with the guitar techniques you have or like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Look at some of the other utube vids and it's obvious that this is an attempt at the Mario Parodi original from 1966. The transcript of this is at:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/13NkW...bU-X_aY3w/edit
Old 09-19-2016, 05:06 AM

Tomi...

Neither of the linked tabs show what is being played in the referenced video...which is what was in question. Derrick finally wrote out exactly what was being played in the video.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:53 AM

The link what I quoted has a standard notation version of the song which is also in a key of C. And like the poster said youtube video was an "attempt" playing that version which had a correct melody = https://docs.google.com/file/d/13NkW...bU-X_aY3w/edit

The YouTube video does not have good phrasing of the melody. Like I said... Listen how the original piano composition is done and you know what I mean about the melody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Tomi...

Neither of the linked tabs show what is being played in the referenced video...which is what was in question. Derrick finally wrote out exactly what was being played in the video.
Edit: But yes the links do not show what is played in the video but who would like to play the composition that way? Maybe people who want to change the melody?

Last edited by TomiPaldanius; 09-19-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomiPaldanius View Post

Edit: But yes the links do not show what is played in the video but who would like to play the composition that way? Maybe people who want to change the melody?
Who would like to play it that way?

The OP.

It's up to any responders to address the question as asked.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-20-2016 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 09-19-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Who would like to play it that way?

The OP.

It's up to any responders to address the question as asked.
It is the composers opinion.

Just sing the melody once and you know exactly what I mean about notes from e to a. You can listen it from any concert pianist performing in YouTube and you won't find a single one who leaves it out. It is like having a sentence and leaving important word out from the middle. But the arrangement is not that bad and as we listen music in waves who cares. He is just playing two A notes instead E to A which sounds so much more natural for more trained ears. That is how it is composed and flows naturally.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-20-2016 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Rule #1 and deleted part of quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

By ear, standard notation, tablature, videos, all have their place and value, some more than others depending on the circumstances.
I would not eliminate any from consideration a priori. Also FWIW Liszt, Mozart, et. al. were know to often freely improvise while playing
their and other composer's music.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 09-19-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:07 AM

If you're such a stickler for no change, then forget the guitar and limit yourself to the type of keyboard available to the composer for historical and tonal authenticity.

My friend, the idea that a melody exists only in the written notes is a modern fallacy occurring in the latter half of the 19th century. Prior to that it was not just common but traditional for the notes on paper to be an outline, not an absolute. Good soloists were respected and employed for their ability to improvise and interpret the written music.

Playing the "correct" notes in the right order is not music. It is soulless parroting. There is an essence far deeper and beyond the mere tonal sequence, an essence which can and must be open to individual interpretation. I'm sure you know this.

When freedom is lost we are left with slavery. If there is no freedom in music it no longer sings or speaks to us. Let us each choose our own voice, each sing the song as it speaks to us and not place value judgements on personal artistic choices.

Have fun...

Old 09-19-2016, 09:26 AM

I just played this one and it is actually hard to get that e to a melody especially when that melody note is the 9th of the chord (e of the D9 chord) and it is at the bass. You need a new fingering (look the guy on this video). I guess that is the reason why it is played differently at the first post video. This guy does it well. Actually both guys play it well. Peace

What you can do also is that play the melody over the basic chords of the pattern.

C E7 A7 D9 G C

Last edited by TomiPaldanius; 09-19-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:43 PM

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing...

https://youtu.be/Mbk1-9envVo

https://youtu.be/UUmvuFPwf_A

Oooh....Waaaaah

And a kühl one on the out:

https://youtu.be/k6aUWI6F5p4

Last edited by Wyllys; 09-19-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing...

https://youtu.be/Mbk1-9envVo

https://youtu.be/UUmvuFPwf_A

Oooh....Waaaaah

And a kühl one on the out:

https://youtu.be/k6aUWI6F5p4
Great music and thanks for sharing... I want to end from my side our little "melody dispute" by saying that all of the links you put here had the main melody played the way I was suggesting (even they take the freedom with many things). Peace.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomiPaldanius View Post
Great music and thanks for sharing... I want to end from my side our little "melody dispute" by saying that all of the links you put here had the main melody played the way I was suggesting (even they take the freedom with many things). Peace.
I've never disputed one note. I simply fail to see that it makes any difference. Liszt wrote it in A flat. Guitarists seem to prefer it in C. Beyond quibbling over a single note (which one I have no idea nor is it important) why not insist it be played in the originally intended key?

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-20-2016 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 09-19-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I've never disputed one note. I simply fail to see that it makes any difference. Liszt wrote it in A flat. Guitarists seem to prefer it in C. Beyond quibbling over a single note (which one I have no idea nor is it important) why not insist it be played in the originally intended key?
I am sorry to hear that it does not make any difference to you. That just confirms that our discussion is not in the same page here.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-20-2016 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Rule #1 and edited quote

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write