The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-06-2012, 06:17 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default The new Auction section

No info? No seller info, like who, how many posts? No location info? The only way to see the item is to leave the reservation and go to eBay? And its too easy to hit "Buy it now"

The pricing on the few I have opened remind me of a Fishing trip I went on once.
Back to Classifieds for me.
What do you folks think?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

agreed. I havent really been able to figure it out. Seems like just an ebay promo area.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Not a fan and don't visit it. If I want to go to Ebay and look at guitars, that's what I do....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-06-2012, 06:38 AM

I doubt I'd ever use it, but to each his own.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:45 AM

I still don't get it

does it just go randomly pull ebay auctions and post them?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:54 AM

Don't like it. Not sure if it's a forum member who has also put an ad in the classifieds or someone separate, since I have never clicked on the Ebay ad.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

A zagerized used D-18 for almost 3 grand was enough to quell my interest.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanheeg View Post
I still don't get it

does it just go randomly pull ebay auctions and post them?
I found myself asking this question as well. How does it pick and choose which auctions appear there? What is the point of this over just venturing to eBay and looking at those listings?

I thought for a moment AGF had opened up its own auction system, which to me would have made a lot more sense. I'm sticking to the classifieds as well.

Playing
* Ibanez V70BK (2005)
* Martin OMC-1E (2010)
* Taylor 414ce (2015)

SoundCloud
Old 04-06-2012, 07:28 AM
*mahoganut*

If it is generating $ then I understand - maybe some kind of commission from ebay.

But -- the req'ts are to be a charter member. "ebay" is apparently a charter member (can a business be a single member?). "ebay" has the most posts there by a large margin.

"ebay" should not be the member. The person selling should be the member. I think they (whoever "they" are) are ducking the costs and JR is missing the revenue he should be getting.

Sorry... not interested in just a page of links. Easy enough to browse ebay.

Just my $.02...

Phil
Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Auction section?? Wow...I'm checkin it out.
I always thought that would be a great idea. I've thought of posting a guitar or two in the classifieds as an acution. Maybe as a dutch (?) Auction..where you start high and maybe every hour the price comes down by a hun or something. WHEN do you pull the trigger? Now when it's a good price? Wait till it drops anopther hun?..but what if someone else pulls the trigger???

But..with any kind of auction you need some hard fast seller rules/guidelines..like the item MUST sell...or auction MUST close at such and such a time/day. And Sellers MUST honor the deal....man...it takes some serious structure.

OK...I'm gonna go see this new Auction section. From what I just read here...it's nothing like I (or anyone) expect.
I'm kinda stoked though...here I go.
beep beep
Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 AM

Woah...well that didnt take long.
So it's just an "eBay Listings" notification forum?

They've had this for years at PlexiPalace but it's just a forum where people can go give heads-ups about eBay listings/deals. Like a PSA forum...but you of course are free to post links to your own eBay listings too.

Didnt we already have a PSA area for this here at AGF anyway?
So now it's the same thing only before you're allowed to post a link to your auction you have to pay AGF 5 bucks?

Anyway, some will say it's slimey or cheesey but...it's AGF's forum and they can do what they like.
It must be worth it for some eBay sellers or the forum would be empty.
Whatever.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:17 AM

Hello,
Only been here (AGF) a couple of years, but everything is so well organized I (my bad) assumed it was a an alternative to the other selling areas for those AGF members who wanted to open their sales beyond this immediate group of buyers, in other words I thought all offers in Auctions were from members of this board. At the very least I would recommend a sticky that clears that up one way or the other. My shields would be at a different setting for "random brou-ha-ha" as opposed to " being sold by a member in good standing". Fare well, db

Last edited by dogboy; 04-06-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: sp
Old 04-06-2012, 10:25 AM

It is a useless section IMO.....

Frankly, I see it as a cash grab by the AGF..... you have to pay AGF $5 to become a 'Charter Member' before you can post a link to an auction item!?!?!?!..... WT*

IE: I am a AGF 'registered user' ..... I cannot post in the auction section unless I pony up $5 to AGF first....

no thanks....

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=245799
Old 04-06-2012, 10:39 AM

I don't like it and I think it's a waste of bandwidth (and we all know the AGF is in need of extra servers )

It has 214 posts from the same ebay user linking different ebay auctions, so it's not one single person.

The only logical explanation I can find is that there is some commission or revenue created for the AGF when we click. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of overpriced guitars. And, who would use this section if we have to 1) pay to list there 2) pay eBay fees 3) pay PayPal fees? Why not list in the classifieds? Not sure who this section was built for.

As we all know, with eBay fees being 9% and PayPal (also owned by eBay) taking an extra 2.9% - you can sell/buy the same guitar for 88% of the posted price.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

The prices in the auctions do seem high to me, but if the auctions forum somehow helps support the AGF financially, then I guess it's a good thing.

I also have a problem with "Ebay" being the seller, but we're all free to visit the auction section........or not.

Question: is the auction section only open to "Ebay", or are other instrument auctioneers such as Heritage allowed as well?

Tom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion