The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 01:30 PM

We shall see what all the fuss is about. Ordered 3 online. Curious to see how they work out.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve223 View Post
I need to get a couple of Scotts picks ...I broke my red bear in half a couple of months ago. I sure like the looks of those picks!
That looks like a really nice Yairi. Did you buy it new? I have a '91 DY-85 I bought a few years back that I really love.

sm
Old 06-13-2018, 07:03 PM

No Scott i bought it used about 15 years ago... And it is really nice..... probably the second best Guitar i ever owned. It had some issues when I bought it but have next to nothing for it.
I think Yaris are way underrated...
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2
Old 06-13-2018, 07:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
No Scott i bought it used about 15 years ago... And it is really nice..... probably the second best Guitar i ever owned. It had some issues when I bought it but have next to nothing for it.
I think Yaris are way underrated...
Steve, sounds wonderful. I try to not talk about them too much, lest word gets out. These go straight up against all the big boys, but because they don't have a "name" on them you can get one used for roughly half what you'd pay for the other guys. Mine has genuine mother-of-pearl on it and other niceties, but some road wear (which I often prefer) brought the price way down.

Shhhh, don't tell anyone!

scott memmer
Old 06-13-2018, 07:21 PM

Lol my lips are sealed.... Sounds like yours is a NICE one... Mine has the snow flake fret markers... And it has some road wear also. The sitka top has that almost pumpkin color...Mine will stay here as long as I can still play it.
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2
Old 06-14-2018, 07:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Lol my lips are sealed.... Sounds like yours is a NICE one... Mine has the snow flake fret markers... And it has some road wear also. The sitka top has that almost pumpkin color...Mine will stay here as long as I can still play it.
When I buy used, Steve, I actually prefer high-end guitars with some road wear and cosmetic issues. As long as the neck and body are clean and functional, I'm good to go. Save $$$$ and get a guitar with some character.

Here in L.A. I go to one of the top luthiers in the country. I don't know if you've noticed, but the eyes of the true techs and luthiers get really big when they find out you have a Yairi. The big boys have seen the insides of thousands of guitars, and they know beautiful craftsmanship when they see it.

Steve, does yours have solid B&S or laminate? Mine's solid, but the laminate Yairis are also the bomb.

Great Talking to You!
Scott
Old 06-14-2018, 07:46 PM

I’ve been using an almost tortoiseshell pick in a triangle with the holes. One’s highly polished and the other is blemished. Love them but every time I put one down to fingerpick it’d take me awhile to locate. Especially difficult locating when playing around a campfire! But for me they play so much easier. For the cost of a new pick I purchased a necklace that the pick can slip into easily. They made it fit the triangle Picks I have.

Then I saw the flame picks. They show up. Got mine today and I’m very impressed. I don’t like that clicking sound some picks, or “pickers” get. This plays cleanly with no clicking. It does not seem to move around without the holes. It’s my new favorite. I'm so glad I got the necklace cause I’m not laying this one down.

I’d post a picture but it’s on the iPad and I can’t remember how to post with the link.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks so much, Shirley, for taking the time to post. It was fun meeting you at Topanga Banjo & Fiddle Contest several weeks back (the only Bluegrass Festival in the world named after a character in a sitcom; can the Screech Valley Bluegrass Gathering be far behind?). If I may, folks, here's the model she's referring to:

Thanks again, Shirley. Talk to you down the road...

scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion