The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-31-2008, 03:16 AM

Default John Pearse is gone...

John Pearse was one of the true geniuses I've had the great good fortune to know. John died late last night at a medical facility near his home in Besigheim, Germany. John left behind his wife Linda, his adopted son, and his former wife and longtime business partner Mary Faith Rhoads.

John Pearse was more than just a genius, more than just a charming man, more than just a terrific musician - he was a true friend and mentor to me and many others.

John had been ill for some time now, bedridden and in the hospital. But he somehow rallied, time after time. It's still hard to believe that he didn't quite rally this time around, he didn't make back from the brink as he had before.

Logically, of course, I knew John's death had to happen sooner or later. But emotionally it's as though I've been kicked in the solar plexus, and can't quite recover my breath, or believe that it's really happened...

I can't begin to tell you how often John made a difference in my life, or how much I learned from him. Unless he was away from home, off gallavanting at a trade show, I could always get him on the phone, and we'd talk guitars and string alloys and delve endlessly into the musical minutia that delighted us both.

John was always charitable, if not necessarily diplomatic, and his good humor shone through everything he said and did.

It was an honor and a privilege to have known him. It enriched my life and my spirit simply to have been able to rely on him as a friend.

When I have more details about the memorial services, I'll post them.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-31-2008, 03:44 AM
The Foreigner

Because of where I am, I've only ever bought one pack of John Pearse strings. It hasn't been opened yet, but I guess I will now.

Rest in peace, John
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 10-31-2008, 03:49 AM

Thanks for letting us know Wade. Sad day indeed...
Old 10-31-2008, 04:41 AM

John taught me lots of things about the guitar, even though we never met.
The internet made a friendship possible in my case.

He will be missed.

Dan

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:46 AM

Wade, I am sorry for the loss of your friend, John.

I have John Pearse armrests on several of my guitars, and a few get strung with JP strings.I still laugh each time I pick up a package of "Gorilla Snot" that I keep in one of my guitar cases!

To me, he was just a big bear of a man, characterized on his string packaging, who made some pretty neat products. For others, it seems he was a big man all around.

RIP
Old 10-31-2008, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

I'm sorry to hear about this. I never knew John, but admired him anyway - he managed to do something few of us do - make a real difference to a lot of people with what some would consider a small service.

I wish him rest, and his family, comfort.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 10-31-2008, 05:45 AM

This is very sad, and I am sorry for your loss, Wade.

JP joins the ranks of so many musicians and entertainers that have passed this year. I do not want to see another year of losses like this...very sad, indeed.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 10-31-2008, 05:50 AM

That's just a real shame. Never met the man but I've been using his strings for about 15 years. From what I've read here in the couple of weeks since I've joined, it sounds like knowing him would've been a good thing.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:51 AM

I'm very sorry to hear this and for your loss of a good friend. I've been a very happy user of his products as well.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:55 AM

((((John and Kin))))
Old 10-31-2008, 06:59 AM

RIP

Old 10-31-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
John Pearse was one of the true geniuses I've had the great good fortune to know. John died late last night at a medical facility near his home in Besigheim, Germany. John left behind his wife Linda, his adopted son, and his former wife and longtime business partner Mary Faith Rhoads.

John Pearse was more than just a genius, more than just a charming man, more than just a terrific musician - he was a true friend and mentor to me and many others.

John had been ill for some time now, bedridden and in the hospital. But he somehow rallied, time after time. It's still hard to believe that he didn't quite rally this time around, he didn't make back from the brink as he had before.

Logically, of course, I knew John's death had to happen sooner or later. But emotionally it's as though I've been kicked in the solar plexus, and can't quite recover my breath, or believe that it's really happened...

I can't begin to tell you how often John made a difference in my life, or how much I learned from him. Unless he was away from home, off gallavanting at a trade show, I could always get him on the phone, and we'd talk guitars and string alloys and delve endlessly into the musical minutia that delighted us both.

John was always charitable, if not necessarily diplomatic, and his good humor shone through everything he said and did.

It was an honor and a privilege to have known him. It enriched my life and my spirit simply to have been able to rely on him as a friend.

Wade Hampton Miller
This is sad news indeed. I had the pleasure of meeting John several times over the last few decades, in different parts of the world and can attest to his unique character... a true renaissance man who I'm sure has touched many lives on this planet.

Sympathies to his family; the world is a lesser place today... R.I.P. John Pearse
Old 10-31-2008, 08:04 AM

Rest In Peace.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:27 AM

I met John quite a few years ago at a NAMM show in New Orleans,probably the mid to late 80's. He was fairly new to the whole scene then, but I will never forget his warmth and his caring for musicians. He was such a big person, He was willing to go the extra mile with anyone who would stop at his booth and want to talk guitars. I remember him just lighting up when I told him about my father giving me his 1946 Martin D-28, He went behind his table and pulled out a box of strings, and said "here You go, You need to try these strings on that guitar" He gave me a whole box of strings, not just a set, a whole box. I was there for the weekend and I found myself constantly going back to the JP booth, We became friends over that weekend and He always had time to talk to me when I would run into him again. The store I worked for at the time was one of the first stores to carry his strings in the state of Ohio, I knew this because He told me that He only had one other account in our state. Nowadays I see them everywhere I go, proof of a man and his vision. I will miss You John, Thanks for being my friend, Chris
Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 AM

though i am pretty committed to d'Addario pb 12s, i will buy a pack of the jp pb 12s next time i change strings out of respect for mr pearce.

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion