The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-03-2014, 09:22 PM

I mostly gave up classical guitar last year, due to tendinitis. I bought and sold many classical and flamenco guitars for 12 years, and owned everything from Yamaha to an Andres Dominguez Guerrero. I kept one classical that I bought a couple of years ago: a Córdoba 32E, Made in Spain. I don't have a clue what the E stands for, but it's not electric. It's a traditional solid cedar top, with laminated B&S. The latter can be forgiven, since it sounds fine, and has maple binding. I do not play this guitar, and would be willing to part with it for WELL under your budget.

The newer Córdoba classicals sound a little too bass heavy for me, and they are built very lightly, with very soft cedar tops. They tend to look shop worn rather quickly. I bought a C7 before I found the 32E, and the C7 was promptly returned. I'll take a few pics and record a sound sample with my phone, just in case anyone would like a great classical value.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWhitehurst View Post
Yamaha CG172SF Flamenco Guitar

I bought one of these and I've had expensive classicals in the past and this guitar sounds great, it's loud, and the quality in the construction is excellent. I bought it and Gator case and it's my go-to guitar for practicing. I perform on a steel string but this guitar is great for all kinds of music. I've played classical, jazz, country, rock, and even some flamenco on this guitar. Hand's down it's the best classical I've seen for the price!
Yes! A friend owns a G172SF. The first time I played it was a proverbial WOW! moment. Been looking for one (used, craigslist etc.) ever since.

Addressing the original post: La Patrie. I own & love a La Patrie Etude.

Also: many reasonably priced Yamahas sound/play wonderful.

Good used/vintage (good meaning low-price) values can often be found in Gianinni and Goya (Levin-factory Swedish-built goyas, not the later asian-built ones) which were also sometimes sold in the US under the brandname 'Espana.' I have a wonderful 1960's Levin-built Espana. Spruce and mahogany, all solid. Not loud but very sweet. More of a nylon-string folk guitar rather than a traditional classical guitar. It cost me $45 at a flea market. This summer a friend got a goya-branded identical to mine at a flea market for $50, in pristine condition. They regularly show up on craigslist, flea markets, yard sales etc...at least around here (philadelphia area).
Old 10-04-2014, 04:27 PM

My fingerstyle instructor uses a classical guitar to save his tendons during lessons and was a former classical performer...he loves the Yamaha for his everyday guitar he says "it stays in tune and sounds great" his was around $350 I think.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:58 AM

I would like to suggest to go for a Pavan TP10. It's an awesome. Try it.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:06 AM

Default Washburn C80s blem vs. distressed La Patrie Etude

I've also been looking for an inexpensive-but-decent classical in this same range and found a couple of interesting but slightly distressed options that I'm debating. One is a factory blem Washburn C80S through Butler Music/eBay for $159 + shipping (they have a few listed right now), or a La Patrie Etude at my local used music shop for $100.

The Etude is interesting because it appears to be a showroom model (it's still tagged and shows no wear on the neck, fretboard, body, etc.) BUT it has 3 hairline cracks on the cedar top. I'm not sure how that would have occurred; maybe heat or sun exposure? At any rate, it plays well but I'm concerned long-term about stabilizing the top so it doesn't deteriorate further. I loved the instrument on the first strum but I'm not sure it is really a good buy.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:46 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

The cracks may have been caused by humidity problems - too dry in the showroom, perhaps? Personally, I'd steer clear of a "new" guitar that's already in that state, but there's no reason the cracks would necessarily get any worse, if you could keep the instrument within a reasonable humidity/temperature range. Might be worth making sure the guitar still has some sort of factory warranty, if it's being sold as "new" in the shop. Seems like that's $200 discount from the new price of an undamaged model, so I'd probably spring for the extra, or just buy a Yamaha
Old 10-13-2014, 03:31 PM

I finally posted my Córdoba E-32 in the Classified forum. I've owned a few Yamaha guitars, including the 172-SF, and they have nothing on this Made in Spain Córdoba. Just trying to find it a loving home.......
Old 10-13-2014, 05:45 PM

Additional suggestion: Art & Lutherie Ami Nylon. I got one very recently and am deeply smitten with it.

Probably not so good for traditional classical/flamenco tho...but for anything else, oh dang it's delightful.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:50 PM

I've personally not liked any of the lower priced Yamaha classicals I have played (some were just awful), but I probably just haven't played the right ones. (I HAVE very much liked some of the low priced Yamaha steel string guitars though).

I've liked pretty much all of the LaPatrie guitars I've played though. No, they don't match my Spanish made classical, but if I was shopping in the sub $500 price range I think there is a good chance I'd end up with a LaPatrie.

(The Hermosa guitars Scottishrogue talks about sound cool too, though I've never encountered one).
Old 10-13-2014, 08:44 PM

I have a Cordoba C5ce and you can`t beat it with a stick plugged in or unplugged.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:54 PM

I agree, they are real nice.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:00 PM

I bought a new La Patrie concert classical last Wednesday and love it: good construction, and solid cedar top and solid mahogany back and sides for less than $500!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical