The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-12-2014, 08:02 AM

Default Giannini guitar?

Hi, I just received a Giannini model no.6 made in brazil in '67
I was just wondering if anyone knew much about these?
Thanks!

Scott
Old 10-12-2014, 08:25 AM

http://http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351265&highlight=Giannini
Old 10-12-2014, 08:42 AM

Ok thank you, It seems the seach function escaped me.

Not much monetary value.
If I find joy, good enough.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:10 PM

I read through the other thread and I wouldn't believe verbatim what is written there. You tend to get a lot of slagging off for lesser known brands or countries of origin.

That's not to say that none of it is true. I regularly travel to Brazil and when I'm there I usually visit the music shops trying out (and sometimes buying) anything I like. I must say that I have not bought anything there since 2007 and I've been there 8 times in this time. The main reason is that it is hard to find anything that sticks out and when it does they are asking stupid money now ... the days of finding a cheap Brazilian bargain are over.

However, it wasn't always so. In the past, the local currency (Real) was low in value and almost everything was cheap. Back in the 90s I was looking to buy a Giannini for no other reason than I was there, I didn't have one and they were being used in a lot of gigs. You can definitely say the lower range models were uninspiring (I'm being polite!) but they had a range that were apparently handcrafted in Brazil so I focused on them. I believe the models were GNC4 or for short C4 (a 7 string model) C5, C6 and a special C7.

A friend had a C5 and I liked it ... it's fairly standard German Spruce top with solid Indian Rosewood back/sides (I like this combo of wood for some reason). The problem I had was finding a good example. I must have driven around most of Sao Paulo trying about 20 examples in total. I even drove to the distribution point for their factory in Sao Paulo ... who, would you believe it only had 2 examples. Out of all those I tried, only 2 sounded any good ... but they sounded really good.

In the end I paid about 600€ for mine. I think this was fair ... it was of similar calibre to Spannish instruments costing about 1000€ ... so no bargain but worth the money I paid. It's not a highend guitar ... but it's also not junk. It's just a decent mid range classical guitar.

The problem with finding musical instruments in Brazil is there doesn't appear to be much quality control. So for any given model you may need to try out dozens of examples before you find a good one. I've visited some well known luthiers there and when trying stuff out only occasionally pickup a real gem ... most of it being quite bland.

So if you want to get a good Brazilian instrument it is possible but you need to visit Brazil and you need to have time and patience.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:17 PM

I wasn't actually looking to buy one, I have one, and just wanted to learn more. a basic google search didn't bring much on the specific model, so I thought I'd check the forum.

Thank you very much for all of the information!
Scott
Old 10-12-2014, 01:20 PM

well, in that other thread they were all saying they were all junk ... I'm saying they are mostly junk ... but there are some good ones in there.

Maybe yours is a good one. If it sounds good and looks good then it is good :-)

Model 6 ... is that cedar top with rosewood sides and ebony fretboard (all solid)?
Old 10-12-2014, 01:38 PM

If it's solid, it's spruce and maybe mahogany?
Old 10-12-2014, 01:46 PM

Then I think it must just be an older model that hasn't been continued.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:31 PM

I think you summed it up well
' if I can find Joy '
That's all that really matters
Who really cares about the monetary value
May not be the best classical but my re collection is they have a nice soulful quality for bossa etc
enjoy the guitar

Last edited by AlVal; 10-12-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:21 PM

One last thing I discovered with these guitars is they don't like rich sounding strings (sorry, my vocab for classical guitar strings isn't great) ... so I find my usual D'Adarrio classical strings a bit thick sounding. I like it with some Augustines, Aranjuez or even try flamenco strings. You lose a bit on the sustain but it sweetens up the sound.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:30 AM

TheGoldenWalrus,

Just take a look on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giannini

This would be little but handy and hope it works for you.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:58 AM

Thank you all.

I think I'm going to abandon my search for info, and just enjoy it.
looking close it appears to be all laminate so I got me a beater.

I think I'll follow the advice to get strings with less body, I don't know if it's just the nature of classicals, but it's pretty muddy with what I have, something with less sustain and thumpier tone may help get the most of it.

If nothing else, it's a different sound to my main guitar (also a beater actually, Old Harmony stella, with a lot of work on it)
Maybe I can squeeze a few songs out of this one.

Thank you all for your help
Scott
Old 11-11-2022, 12:32 AM

read this link....
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=656690

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenWalrus View Post
Hi, I just received a Giannini model no.6 made in brazil in '67 I was just wondering if anyone knew much about these? Thanks!

Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical