The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-11-2022, 09:24 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Default FabFilter Pro-C 2 Compressor

Why would I need this? Would it's use allow recordings to sound good on a phone as well as a speaker? Just curious. I do solo acoustic recordings, no vocals for my own entertainment and to share here and other sites.

Here's a link to it:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ro-c-2-plug-in

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-11-2022, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Personally I would not bother with it.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-11-2022, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

If you want to try a compressor, I recommend Klanghelm MJUC Variable Mu. It's only $25, and many, many users at Gearspace picked it as the top plugin for 2015 (when it was released I presume).

https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/MJUC.html

https://gearspace.com/board/reviews/...helm-mjuc.html

https://gearspace.com/board/music-co...op-3-a-11.html

I bought it but won't be able to try it out until after the holidays.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut

Last edited by Cocobolo Kid; 12-11-2022 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Why would I need this? Would it's use allow recordings to sound good on a phone as well as a speaker? Just curious. I do solo acoustic recordings, no vocals for my own entertainment and to share here and other sites.

Here's a link to it:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ro-c-2-plug-in
If I am remembering correctly, you use Reaper for your DAW, yes ?
If so (and you have not already done so) there is likely a compressor bundled in Reaper ? I would play around with it first both in tracking (if you have wide dynamic (volume) swings in your playing ? Or wait until mixing after recording dry, to maybe boost overall level a bit and add presence if needed. But many solo acoustic players do not use compression at all, and simply increase the track fader or main out fader level if they want more output .
I believe Doug Young occasionally uses comp ? maybe he can chime in.
Remember a good general rule of thumb for compression is use it sparingly at first so you only just barely notice a slight change when you bypass it (often that is sufficient for added presence and will be more or less unnoticeable)

As far as sounding good on a cell phone No it's use would not really be for that per se.(albeit any improvement in the mix will help translation to cell phone) that said to sound good on a phone (with a limited frequency response) the mid range must good (possibly a bit pronounced) and be clear of distortion, because that is where sound lives on a phone

One mixing trick you can use is once you like you mix turn it up a bit and go to a different room and see if you can still hear the mid range pretty well (if so it has a decent chance to sound good on a phone)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-11-2022 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
If all you want to do is tame some of the peaks and bring up overall levels, C2 is probably overkill--you won't use 95% of its capability. The compressor provided with Reaper, ReaComp, may not be sexy but will give nice clean uncolored compression to do what you need.

I'd save your money, or at least try a few regarded but far less expensive plugins like the Klanghelm if you want to experiment. Heck, did you know Reaper has a couple other compressors included? the "1175 Compressor" is an 1176-modeled compressor, and the "Major Tom Compressor" (both of these made by Stillwell) has auto-attack/release inspired by the dbx160. Just search the plugins for "comp" and you'll also see "Fairly Childish" (Fairchild emulation, ofc) and several more I haven't played with. The JS plugins don't have a spiffy GUI, but they do give you a number of free options to play around with.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:44 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Thanks everyone. I do use Reaper and I'll play around with the compressors that are bundled with it.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-11-2022, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
If you want to try a compressor, I recommend Klanghelm MJUC Variable Mu. It's only $25, and many, many users at Gearspace picked it as the top plugin for 2015 (when it was released I presume).
The Klanghelm is very good. They even have a MJUC jr version that's free. It doesn't give you all the fine tuning adjustments but it sounds just as nice.

I don't know anything about Reaper's bundled plugins but it's always a good idea to wet your feet on those. They cost nothing and you already have them. But if you want more options, take a look at the plugin lists in the stickied thread. There are many recommended plugins that are free. However, they're on the list because they're good. Being free is a bonus.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-11-2022, 02:29 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
The Klanghelm is very good. They even have a MJUC jr version that's free. It doesn't give you all the fine tuning adjustments but it sounds just as nice.

I don't know anything about Reaper's bundled plugins but it's always a good idea to wet your feet on those. They cost nothing and you already have them. But if you want more options, take a look at the plugin lists in the stickied thread. There are many recommended plugins that are free. However, they're on the list because they're good. Being free is a bonus.
Thanks Jim. I downloaded the free Jr version to try out.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Eric Skye

Pro C2 is my favorite compressor and the one I use probably 95% of the time. I think it’s just great clean compressor, extremely versatile, and has a top notch and very intuitive interface -particularly if you’re someone that doesn’t care if it looks and feels like classic hardware. I also have the Klanghelm, and that’s probably my second favorite, however, it’s definitely a very colored thing and not the cleanest by any stretch. Lastly if the OP is running Logic, I personally think think Logic's stock compressor (maybe along with the Neve EQ in the vintage eq section..) is it's strongest plugin, and that could easily be more than enough.

Last edited by min7b5; 12-11-2022 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-11-2022, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Jim. I downloaded the free Jr version to try out.
That should be fun I am a big fan of Vari-Mu type compression

My hardware comp is a Vari-Mu type and I use the bundled Fairchild plugin in Pro tools more than it's other comps

For finger style guitar I would think the "Slow" time constant will let more of the transients thru but as alway the final test is your ears

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-11-2022, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Pro C2 is my favorite compressor and the one I use probably 95% of the time. I think it’s just great clean compressor, extremely versatile, and has a top notch and very intuitive interface -particularly if you’re someone that doesn’t care if it looks and feels like classic hardware. I also have the Klanghelm, and that’s probably my second favorite, however, it’s definitely a very colored thing and not the cleanest by any stretch. Lastly if the OP is running Logic, I personally think think Logic's stock compressor (maybe along with the Neve EQ in the vintage eq section..) is it's strongest plugin, and that could easily be more than enough.
What are the other compressors that you own, besides the ProC2 & the Klanghelm? I now own the PROC2 from your praise of this unit & been meaning to purchase the Klagnhelm as I have their Meter Plug in.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:52 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
What are the other compressors that you own, besides the ProC2 & the Klanghelm? I now own the PROC2 from your praise of this unit & been meaning to purchase the Klagnhelm as I have their Meter Plug in.
Yeah, the Klagnhelm VU meters are sweet. The only other compressor I have is the Pulsar Mu that I got a week or two ago. I don't think I've quite bonded with it just yet though. I tried is on vocal duo video I'm working on for someone and ended up back with the ProC2..
Old 12-13-2022, 04:06 AM

Compressors strange and enigmatic toys of which much BS is spoken. It seems clear that folks here are talking from experience and understanding but that's often not the case.

It's worth considering what it is you're trying to do with compression and then studying a little on compression types before deciding what's appropriate to your needs.

Beware of fancy GUIs, they can distract us from mediocre performance and hog a lot of resources in the process.
Old 12-13-2022, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Just wanted to say how much I like all of your Slide show you tube presentations TBman! Not only do you play and record so beautifully, but the turning pictures are always of interest and in good presentation.

Exossaise Op. 33 no 2. Extremely beautiful composition. I had the great pleasure of being taught by the number one understudy of the -second to the last picture person in your video. Back in the mid 60's that is. And got to meet him several times a small parties. Unfortunately, I only studied classical for a very short time. The desires of youth made me quickly seek out melodic Rock and Roll. But I did keep much of the fingering and merged it with heavy strumming.

Back to compressors of which I am a novice as well; One way to look at the difference in compression for fingerstyle and classical might be your typical solo single notes on a nylon guitar in Movie soundtracts. You can hear a total loudness level evenness that makes it jump out. That heavy type of compression would most likely be way to much for a fingerstyle player.

My personal take is that I feel it was so easy for me to get a reasonable sound for acoustic guitar back in the 70's going into tape. Tape offers a mild compression on its own. In today's world my guitar is 5 times better sounding than what I had back in the day, yet it is harder for me to get the sound I desire in the digital age. Why? That is because recorded raw digital does not do any of the Compression-saturation effects that tape offers. Compression is one part of getting sound I desire. Also room acoustics can also form a type of leveling. As the sound is bouncing off the walls and coming back to you is at less of the initial volume in which you hear as the player.( unfortunately rooms causes other unwanted frequency problems as well though)

You play so evenly TBman that compression will be of less value to you. As I have learned from so many others input...only 2 db reduction for fingerstyle is generally all you will need. More than that and you might get some negative artifacts.

For myself, I have not found the perfect compressor settings as of yet(but getting closer). That is because I will jump from fingerstyle to heavy strumming in an instant. I will not have time to play around till the new year as relatives are coming to stay with me for the next several weeks. I plan to experiment with very gentle compression while tracking, an then a little bit more compression afterwards.

I am pretty sure that all of our cellphones have compressors in them...and of course all of the media sources such as youtube add some type of compression as well.
Old 12-13-2022, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Barry, is this your recording and playing? If so it's the cleanest, most solid performance I have heard of yours - plus a fine sound.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD