The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-14-2008, 12:08 PM

Default Hum from a Piezo UST

Hey all,

just installed a piezo UST in my GS.. when i turned up the vol knob, i heard a low pitch hum.. is that normal?

Definitely not a deal breaker cos the UST sounds great.. just not sure where I went wrong.. cos I'm pretty sure my solder joints were good. The inner wire to the live, the outer to the ground.. the wires didn't touch...

so now very sure where the hum is coming from really...
Old 11-14-2008, 01:24 PM

I brought my amp and my guitar to a buddies house and noticed that i was getting a similar noise. When I play at home not a sound. It turns out that the outlets in his house were not grounded. That's one place to start. Good luck!
Old 11-14-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
Hey all,

just installed a piezo UST in my GS.. when i turned up the vol knob, i heard a low pitch hum.. is that normal?

Definitely not a deal breaker cos the UST sounds great.. just not sure where I went wrong.. cos I'm pretty sure my solder joints were good. The inner wire to the live, the outer to the ground.. the wires didn't touch...

so now very sure where the hum is coming from really...
What are you plugging it into?

I'd just try to narrow the problem down first.

-try a different outlet that's on a diff circuit
-try a different amp/pa
-try a different guitar into the same amp/PA you're playing into right now
Old 11-14-2008, 01:51 PM

Hum is nearly always due to improper grounding. As Jrocker stated, it could be your electricity or your amp. Another possibility is the pick-up. The Fishman USTs are especially very fragile (I have shorted a portion of two of them in the past just by scratching the surface it the little screw driver I used to lever them out of the saddle slot when making adjustments (I know not to do that, now, LOL). So, a bend, scratch or dent in the pick-up can break an internal connection and cause a low hum. Check your guitar on another amp in another electrical grid (friend's house). If you still have the hum in all environments, the problem is in the pick up.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 11-14-2008, 07:29 PM

I actually just plugged it into my mac to have a test out after installing it.. i've nothing else to plug into currently so i'll do it at church this wkend.

it's definitely not those huge hums where it covers everything.. i can't hear it once I play... i've heard some where it just blasts over the speakers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification