The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-03-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Here's a bunch of 10" active speakers that I'd like to try out. But there's no way, so I just just read as much as I can and then throw a dart.

EV SxA100+ $540
FBT MaxX 2a $600
QSC K10 $700
RCF ART310-A $580
Yorkville E10P $750
You've got a great selection there BuzzardWhiskey, let me add a few active loudspeakers for consideration,

Yorkville NX25p
Yorkville NX55p
JBL PRX512
Ev SXa360
QSC HPR series

JBL SRX series are passive/ mucho dinieros.
JBL MRX series are also passive/affordable. Equivalent to PRX series (without built-in amps/processing.
Yorkville Elite series are definitely worth a look. E10's and E12 passives.

For an acoustic guitar/w vocals loudspeaker, I prefer something with a 1"throat" high frequency driver. 1.2" Max. I find larger throated compression drivers better suited to electric rock, etc. Depends. You really can't view loudspeakers in isolation IMO. You have to consider the entire audio path. Even the best loudspeakers will sound dreadful if the signal being fed to it, is not up to par.

Bob
Old 01-03-2010, 06:16 PM

Red face

Lots of talk here about the K8 without a lot of auditioning. My suggestion is give them, and all the others a test drive. Stats are worth reviewing and needy in a lot of instances like with the baritone, etc., but in the end if the Mackies do it for you, buy 'em up. FWIW, my good bud who owns a very nice music store has greatly reduced his inventory of Mackie products due to serious quality control issues that have developed over the last couple of years. He has had way too many products to return and is considering dropping Mackie. I was pretty much a Mackie user up and down the line from mixer to powered speakers until BOSE hit the market. If you do get a chance to audition the QSCs or any of the others in their class, take your favorite mic and your set-up. That will be the true test. I was so surprised by the K8s that I bought them right away, after just buying a new acoustic amp and picking up my SoloAmp. Just my experience and not necessarily yours.
The K8s ARE designed to be used without subs, especially for acoustic music. They sounded better to me than anything in their class. You can add subs if you want but to me that is too much to lug and not enough return in your investment.
I try not to criticize anyone's sound preferences since good sound is kind of like love, you know it when you feel it, (or step in it). This post has gone kind of crazy but the bottom line is there are lots of good ideas here and lots of great folks chipping in. After all, we are all searching for the same thing, but the same thing isn't exactly the same for each of us, is it?
davidc
Old 01-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Just for the record, not only Mackie, but all--if I'm not mistaken--mainstream Pro sound gear, of which Mackie, JBL, QSC, EV are some names, is "Designed & Engineered In The U.S.A." but made in China.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Not quite,

Some specific models of some companies are built in China. For example, Yorkvilles' YX series are manufacured in China, designed in Canada. All other Yorkville enclosures are designed and manufactured right here in Canada. Same goes for most companies. Depends what market segment they're targeting, and pricepoint they must achieve in order to be competitive. JBL's budget-conscious JRX series, are probably manufactured in China.

Bob
Old 01-03-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Lots of talk here about the K8 without a lot of auditioning. My suggestion is give them, and all the others a test drive. Stats are worth reviewing and needy in a lot of instances like with the baritone, etc., but in the end if the Mackies do it for you, buy 'em up. FWIW, my good bud who owns a very nice music store has greatly reduced his inventory of Mackie products due to serious quality control issues that have developed over the last couple of years. He has had way too many products to return and is considering dropping Mackie. I was pretty much a Mackie user up and down the line from mixer to powered speakers until BOSE hit the market. If you do get a chance to audition the QSCs or any of the others in their class, take your favorite mic and your set-up. That will be the true test. I was so surprised by the K8s that I bought them right away, after just buying a new acoustic amp and picking up my SoloAmp. Just my experience and not necessarily yours.
The K8s ARE designed to be used without subs, especially for acoustic music. They sounded better to me than anything in their class. You can add subs if you want but to me that is too much to lug and not enough return in your investment.
I try not to criticize anyone's sound preferences since good sound is kind of like love, you know it when you feel it, (or step in it). This post has gone kind of crazy but the bottom line is there are lots of good ideas here and lots of great folks chipping in. After all, we are all searching for the same thing, but the same thing isn't exactly the same for each of us, is it?
davidc
Well said -- and at the risk of being completely repetitive, I didn't say K8's couldn't (or shouldn't) be used as a main. In fact, for acoustic performers, I said the opposite. And for those who require more of the lower frequencies, you can boost them through EQ since you have a usable response down to at least 61 Kz.

I think the advice that has been given for the BagAmp -- add the sub if you have bass and/or keyboards -- is applicable for the K8 (and it all makes perfect sense).

geokie8
Old 01-03-2010, 06:39 PM

dcopper: Somehow I missed the fact that you had purchased the K8 after owning the SoloAmp (you did say that, right?).

Did you get a chance to A/B the K8 with the BagAmp (that's probably asking too much) or the JBL 510 (a better chance, perhaps)

Finally, did you buy just one speaker or two, and how do you monitor?

Thx in advance,

geokie8
Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 PM

Specs are specs. (profound thought for the day)

You gotta get out and actually listen to these boxes. ANY boxes.

I've read threads here, where guys are taking SPL meter readings, checking dispersion of so-called line arrays, and coming up with numbers like 68 dB at the back of the room. Geesh!!! Normal conversation is louder than that.

For an acoustic act, gimme a loudspeaker with pristine vocal intelligibility first and foremost, and a silky high-end, and tight, articulate bottom-end.

Just because a speaker can go down to a certain frequency, doesn't necessarily mean it does a good job at reproducing those lower octaves.

Specs are specs! (There I go again )

Bob
Old 01-03-2010, 07:49 PM

Hey, I'm with you Bob and dcopper. You need to go out and listen to these boxes mentioned in this thread if you are in the market for one. I've never bought any speakers based on specs. Specs only told me I should take a listen. My ears were the ones that told me to buy them (well, my wallet had something to say about this too ). And telling me I need objective measurements since my subjective ears are flawed when they themselves have no experience with that product? What is objective? From the manufacturer? Even manufacturers vary in how they spec things out. From review magazines? Good luck on that one. I trust my ears over specs and you should trust your ears over my ears.

dcopper: I'm also interested on your comparison take between the K8 and Soloamp as far as sound quality preference. I know, I know...I need to lug my guitar to the local shop and compare myself (eating my own words).

Gordon

Last edited by GordonHLau; 01-03-2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to put in a wink
Old 01-03-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I thought the Mackie's were 12" models (I'm specifically interested in 10 and maybe 8's).
Those Mackies are 12's. Am I missing something?

Well the movie is over and I had a bunch of catching up to do. I really thought by now you guys would have decided what it is exactly that I should buy. Guess I have to give you some more time.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHLau View Post
Specs only told me I should take a listen.
+1

I think there's a little more focus on specs -- at least in this thread -- because technology is taking us further and further along. Speaker design is allowing a much better response in a smaller speaker -- and that's even before we get into the theory of line array (which introduces projection, dispersion, and other sonic factors).

When buying high quality (and recommended) products, I think it's possible to buy without hearing -- although a few will be disappointed in the result. But if you want (and need) to hear the subtle distinctions between high quality components, it obviously requires a hands-on experience.

FWIW,

geokie8
Old 01-03-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Those Mackies are 12's. Am I missing something?

Well the movie is over and I had a bunch of catching up to do. I really thought by now you guys would have decided what it is exactly that I should buy. Guess I have to give you some more time.
What's your goal Bob? What do you want to amplify, and what audience do you want to cover? I presume you want something for acoustic guitar and vocals. An Ev SXa100+ might be just what the doctor ordered. Throw in a decent-sounding Soundcraft Notepad 124FX mixer, and you'd probably be quite happy with sound-quality, portability, affordability. You could also consider a Yorkville NX25p or NX55p as well.

The NX55p is a little bass-heavy, and that may or may not suit you. On-board processing deals with that however. I generally set the high-pass filter(low frequency roll-off) at 100hz, and still do a 3-6dB cut on the bass frequencies, in order to get a "flat" sounding box.

Bob
Old 01-03-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokie8 View Post
+1

I think there's a little more focus on specs -- at least in this thread -- because technology is taking us further and further along. Speaker design is allowing a much better response in a smaller speaker -- and that's even before we get into the theory of line array (which introduces projection, dispersion, and other sonic factors).

When buying high quality (and recommended) products, I think it's possible to buy without hearing -- although a few will be disappointed in the result. But if you want (and need) to hear the subtle distinctions between high quality components, it obviously requires a hands-on experience.

FWIW,

geokie8
Geokie8,

Are "specs" going to tell you if the mid-range of a consumer-grade box lacks intelligibility? Or if that box's bottom end sounds loose/muddy/inarticulate? Are specs going to tell you if the highs are harsh/strident? What about cabinet resonance?

Unless you're dealing with a known entity, I'd avoid buying based solely on specs. Now, if we're talking Danley speakers, or something along the lines of the Klein & Hummel monitors, then we're talking a whole 'nuther kettle-of-fish.

Bob
Old 01-03-2010, 08:51 PM

I read somewhere that I should just go and get a pair of daedalus w-803.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:55 PM

Thanks Bobby1note!

If I put an arbitrary limit of $800 (self powered is a must), and go ahead and open it to 12" speakers, then the list grows much longer...

EV SxA100+ $540
EV Sxa360 $760
FBT MaxX 2a $600
JBL PRX512 $800
Mackie SRM350v2 $440
Mackie SRM450v2 $500
QSC K8 $650
QSC K10 $700
QSC K12 $800
RCF ART310-A $580
Yamaha MSR250 $470
Yamaha MSR400 $580
Yorkville NX55p $735
Yorkville E10P $750
Old 01-03-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
I read somewhere that I should just go and get a pair of daedalus w-803.
Nah !!! They SUCK

(Just kidding Sdelsolray,,, just kidding)
Old 01-03-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
Nah !!! They SUCK

(Just kidding Sdelsolray,,, just kidding)
They're not popular so they must suck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification