The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-22-2016, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Kala Tenor Guitar - Chicago Tuning

I have a Kala Tenor that I want to tune to Chicago tuning. What gauge strings should I use?

Last edited by arktrav; 07-23-2016 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktrav View Post
I have a Kala Tenor that I want to tune to Chicago tuning. What gauge strings should I use?
See this...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:42 PM

Unless you're looking for a specific tonality with other instruments I'd sooner recommend drop-G tenor uke tuning (GCEA low-to-high), similar to a standard guitar capoed at the fifth fret and using the same chord formations; my Deering Boston tenor banjo is set up this way and it makes a great lead instrument, covering much of the range of the fiddle/mandolin (in addition to being only slightly less loud than John Force's nitro funny car ). Don't know what your scale length is, but I'm using 10-13-18W-26W (nickel on the two wound strings); the Kala appears to be shorter (I'm thinking 21-22") so these gauges shouldn't be a problem...
Old 07-23-2016, 04:03 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to both contributor's. The scale length is 21 3/8". Steve, your suggestion seems great to me! I think that is what I will experiment with and will try you gauge suggestions. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2016, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Actually, I went with LaBella Silk and Steel, the first four strings,(11, 14, 23, 31) of a light set. They sound pretty good and I think I like it!
Old 07-23-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Actually, I went with LaBella Silk and Steel, the first four strings,(11, 14, 23, 31) of a light set. They sound pretty good and I think I like it!
I'd be concerned about the tension over the long haul if you're using them for drop-G tenor uke tuning; try the gauges I suggested - you should be OK with a 21-3/8" scale...
Old 07-23-2016, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the advice, Steve. Don't the Silk and Steel have a lower tension than regular strings? Would the lower tension compensate for anything? I guess I mean would the strings I'm using have the same or lower tension than the gauges you recommended? Just figuring,
Old 07-23-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
...Don't the Silk and Steel have a lower tension than regular strings? Would the lower tension compensate for anything? I guess I mean would the strings I'm using have the same or lower tension than the gauges you recommended?
Maybe so, in one or more cases - but why risk it for a couple bucks...?
Old 07-23-2016, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Steve, I believe you are right! Until I can the right gauge, as you suggested, I will tune it down to E-A-C#-F# (for just playing )and then bring it up to GCEA (which, I agree, is better than the DGBE) when I can get the correct gauge. Thanks very much, J.C. Bryant
Old 07-26-2016, 05:46 PM

http://antebelluminstruments.blogspo...tar-tenor.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments