The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-20-2014, 07:35 AM

Default Better tone? Gretsch Boxcar (Bobtail) vs Dobro Hound Dog Round Neck

I'm looking for a basic round neck (about $200 budget). The reso bug bit and I'm looking for a basic one to start with. I have an opportunity to get the Dobro Hound Dog Round Neck for $200.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...k-dobro-guitar

I dont think it's the Deluxe (which I assume the only difference is the pickup?)

I've played guitar (flatpick and fingerpick) for 20 years and really like Mike Dowling/Toby Walker/Kelly Jo Phelps/Stephan Grossman/Piedmont Blues. More fingerstyle than slide. And I think... I like a wood body more than a steel body.

I played a Gretch Boxcar. It was nice too. And I have an opp to get the Bobtail for $250 which I know has a pickup (otherwise same as Boxcar).

The pickup is nice, but I'm more concerned about tone. Anybody like one more than the other?
Thanks.

Last edited by lespaul_79; 01-05-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:51 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Can't speak to the Dobro, only played one for a couple of minutes in a store... but the Gretsch is a lovely guitar. The one I got is very nicely made, fit 'n' finish is great and the Fishman pickup is gravy. I got mine when the reso bug hit. A little while later I picked up a 1930 National and now use that for finger style stuff but I bought a nut extension from Stewmac and use the Gretsch regularly for noodling around as an acoustic resonator lap steel...
Old 06-22-2014, 08:57 AM

I have a Gretsch Alligator Wood body resonator for sale in the Classifieds. Replaced cone with National Hot Rod (best you can get). These are sweet reasonably priced resos.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 06-28-2014, 07:40 AM

I auditioned the Hound Dog Deluxe to the Gretsch Bobtail.
I much preferred the Gretsch Bobtail for acoustic sound and it includes a nice sounding pickup. The pickup in the Hound Dog Deluxe sounded terrible to me.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 AM

I realize I'm a little late to the party on this post, but I noticed that the artists you mentioned lean pretty bluesy and some of them favor a biscuit bridge. The two guitars that you're asking about have spider bridges. Can you play Piedmont blues on a spider? Absolutely! You might just not get the "punch" you're looking for that would come from the biscuit bridge. Also, while those companies are setting up their guitars pretty well, spider bridges are much more finicky than biscuit bridges because all of the legs have to touch the cone with the same amount of pressure or you'll get some buzz. Just some things to think about...
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 07-14-2014, 09:21 AM

Agree, if you want to play spanish style and finger the frets, you should be looking at biscuit bridge reso's... not spider bridge. My experience with the biscuit bridges is that the cheap ones can sound really good, but often require some setup work. I had a cheapie wood-bodied chinese one from Musician's friend, that I put a National cone and bridge into... it sounded as good as my friend's National Estralita, at about 20% of the price.

If you want to play lap style with a slide, get a square neck spider bridge. I have found that with those, sound quality goes up dramatically with price (unfortunately). You can definitely get "that sound" with some 70's OMI dobros though, and they can be found pretty cheap.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 06-30-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul_79 View Post
I'm looking for a basic round neck (about $200 budget). The reso bug bit and I'm looking for a basic one to start with. I have an opportunity to get the Dobro Hound Dog Round Neck for $200.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...k-dobro-guitar

I dont think it's the Deluxe (which I assume the only difference is the pickup?)

I've played guitar (flatpick and fingerpick) for 20 years and really like Mike Dowling/Toby Walker/Kelly Jo Phelps/Stephan Grossman/Piedmont Blues. More fingerstyle than slide. And I think... I like a wood body more than a steel body.

I played a Gretch Boxcar. It was nice too. And I have an opp to get the Bobtail for $250 which I know has a pickup (otherwise same as Boxcar).

The pickup is nice, but I'm more concerned about tone. Anybody like one more than the other?
Thanks.
I have a Hound Dog and a Steel body Bobtail. I am more comfortable with the Hound Dog, but if you're going to plug in, the Gretsch pick up is much better. For some reason, the Hound Dog is ok through an amp, but can't get any volume when going through a PA system. Maybe someone else has had that problem?
Old 07-10-2016, 02:21 PM

I've been toying with adding a wood bodied resonator to my herd. I have a National Tricone and used to have a Gold Tone PBR Deluxe (which I now regret selling!). I played a Gretsch Boxcar and a Hound Dog at a Guitar Center a few months back. The Gretsch, in my opinion, won in both feel and tone. I haven't gotten one yet, but I would choose the Gretsch over the Hound Dog.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:07 AM

one problem that I've seen on almost all of the low cost reso's, both biscuit and spider bridge type is the setup is horrible on them. almost every round neck I've seen has the neck angle way too shallow, causing the guitar to be un-frettable above the second position, sometimes above the 5th fret. You can reset the neck on them, but it takes a lot of know how. You're better off spending the $$ to buy one that is actually playable. That means mail order is not a good plan. Go to a brick and mortar store, somewhere you can see, and play what you will be buying.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:11 AM

I think the original poster made a decision one way or the other back in 2014, fwiw. That said, it's always good to talk about reso's. I played many entry level reso's when I was looking, and my money stayed in my pocket until I bought a Beard Goldtone PBR/CA. Cutaway is very important playing slide on a 12 fret round-neck, and a Beard cone and solid mahogany construction are nice too. I got mine used for $700.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Tags
bobtail, boxcar, gretsch, hound