The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-30-2016, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I've used the mini tuners in off-set sound holes and in sound ports. I cut off the clip and use double sided tape to fix the tuner on the underside of the face--I can see the tuner, easily turn it on, and slide it out of the base for battery changes. (snip)
I've been doing the same for years, but using snap-lock instead of tape. It's nice to be able to completely remove the tuner if needed, and the snap-lock is rigid enough to not isolate the tuner.

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 08-30-2016, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray Van Kirk View Post
I was wondering what folks might recommend for the hole left behind when removing the barn-door electronics on a Rainsong. I like the pick-up fine, but every single time I fly, Alaska Airlines bashes in the control panel because of how far the knobs protrude from the side (I'm sure any airline would do the same, but as I live in Alaska, well...). It's a simple fix, but the wear on the screw hole that seats the rubber lining is growing.

So I am thinking to remove it and install a K&K or similar, but that leaves behind a barn door hole. I did consider duct tape just for appearances, but figured I'd ask if anyone else had dealt with this.
RainSong seems to use a one-size-fits-all hardshell case for its guitars with, possibly, a change of the inner liner to help accommodate the different sizes. The problem is there is still some considerable looseness around the guitars when they're in the case. Perhaps, you could try using newspaper or other packing material to snug your RainSong in the case so it doesn't bang around?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-30-2016, 06:06 PM
Guest 928

One of my fantasies for a screen is the grill from a cheap ghetto blaster. High tech screws, job done.

Another possibility is the beautiful sound hole covers designed to mute feedback. They have a grill-like appearance and can be found in various woods and materials. they are circular which would be just fine for covering a rectangular hole.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:38 PM

The Fishman pickup frame has relatively shallow edges, so you would need to create a lip of some sort to hold the screen. However, there are the four pivot pins that possibly could provide support. For me, the guitar is a tool and while looks are important to some extent, functionality is more important. This sound port works great and maybe someday I'll refine the look by cutting off the pins but that is not a pressing matter.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

Last edited by ukejon; 08-31-2016 at 04:24 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber