The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-29-2013, 10:57 PM

Default Per ebay "auction ended, item no longer availble??

Ive seen this often lately.

Guitar posted as up for sale with no reserve,, gets 21 bids

and just before the auction time is up, the seller ends the auction

stating "seller ended auction early, item is no longer available.

I understand it , if there is a disclaimer such as

"item for sale locally, i reserve the right to end auction if item is sold offline"

But many have no disclaimer,, it seems they are just not getting as

high a bid as they would like, so they end it,, and repost it a week later.

is this not what a reserve price is for?

seems no better than a winning bidder not paying, or a sore seller

I have not been directly effected by this yet,, but it seems kind on unfair

to me.... What thinkith y'all??

Rick
Old 03-30-2013, 01:07 AM

It's a common practice. I just scratch those sellers off my list. If they're less than ethical in their listing practices, then why would I even trust their descriptions?

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 AM

its just because the bidding isn't going good for them and then they end the auction early. After all, what is an auction for,to sell an item, if you want more then start the auction at a higher price or use a reserve price. You see items pulled very often.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:07 AM

I see people do it, they are trying to avert risk but they just don't have the cojones to stick it out. I've had items that seemed like they would go for a song and the bidding in the last 5 minutes quadrupled the price. These folks should just post a price with a "make an offer" option.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:11 AM

It's often because the seller is just looking to get some exposure for the item, hoping that someone contacts them directly and then arranges a deal direct.

I can totally understand this. Given that Ebay charges you to list the item, charges you a % of the selling price, and then charges you to receive the money into your Paypal account, the accumulated charges are exorbitant, especially on a high ticket item like an upmarket guitar.

I've pulled items myself before and sold direct - avoiding those charges is just too much to resist. If Ebays/Paypal charges were more reasonable (especially Paypal), it would happen far less often. Being charged to deposit money into their organisation is just ridiculous.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
It's often because the seller is just looking to get some exposure for the item, hoping that someone contacts them directly and then arranges a deal direct.

I can totally understand this. Given that Ebay charges you to list the item, charges you a % of the selling price, and then charges you to receive the money into your Paypal account, the accumulated charges are exorbitant, especially on a high ticket item like an upmarket guitar.

I've pulled items myself before and sold direct - avoiding those charges is just too much to resist. If Ebays/Paypal charges were more reasonable (especially Paypal), it would happen far less often. Being charged to deposit money into their organisation is just ridiculous.

Cheers,
Steve
So you want to use their service but you don't want to pay for that service. Would you appreciate someone taking that approach to your services?
Old 03-30-2013, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

I think there are probably as many reasons for ending a sale early as there are sellers who do this. In those few times that I list something on Ebay, I always do a fixed price sale rather than an auction so that when it ends, I've gotten my desired asking price. I'm not sure why someone wouldn't just set a certain reserve price rather than spin the wheel and see what happens...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
So you want to use their service but you don't want to pay for that service. Would you appreciate someone taking that approach to your services?
My thoughts exactly.

Steveh, when you list, you already know what the fees will be, so if you don't like it, don't list. Using the service as you state is unethical, imo.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Using the service as you state is unethical, imo.
If someone wants to take the chance/risk of selling something privately after "advertising" on Ebay, then I don't see the problem. The day I care about the ethics of "using" the monopoly that is Ebay is the day that I enjoy that paying Paypal fees.

Personally I usually prefer to sell stuff the Ebay way, but if someone makes an offer and is willing to come to a sensible agreement I'm all ears.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:39 AM

Haven't sold something on eBay in a very long time, but it used to be that a reserve auction cost more. Ebay's way of ensuring they got something from the listing even if it didn't sell. Is that still the case?

max
Old 03-30-2013, 08:47 AM

I have sold many items on Ebay.

I have cancelled auctions due to second thoughts about selling or because a local has contacted me directly.

BUT, I would NEVER cancel an item once a bid(s) had been posted. Canceling an auction after a bid had been posted is unfair to those bidding.

It's just bad form.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritShooter View Post
I have sold many items on Ebay.

I have cancelled auctions due to second thoughts about selling or because a local has contacted me directly.

BUT, I would NEVER cancel an item once a bid(s) had been posted. Canceling an auction after a bid had been posted is unfair to those bidding.

It's just bad form.
I've never done that either. But if the item sold locally I would.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:55 AM

Cancelling auctions on eBay is not uncommon. I've noticed that it happens frequently on high end vintage guitars, banjos and mandolins. The way it works is that the item ultimately gets sold direct at some point. This is a way of avoiding eBay final value fees and probably getting a higher price than otherwise.

I don't think it's ethical to cancel if there are bids however. The only time I would ever cancel a listing on eBay would be if there were no bids up to the last and I simply got tired of watching the listing.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:37 AM

Some auctions are ended early (I see it with guitars quite a bit...probably because I pay more attention to those) because the seller unknowingly lists an item that is not what he/she thinks it is......fakes....for example, low end guitars with Martin labels applied.....I have read many times where a seller was contacted to point out their mistake -- by people who frequent this forum. In this case, I find it very
honorable for a seller to end the auction early.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 AM

As a buyer, I won't bother posting a bid on an item with a hidden reserve.

If you have a minimum amount in mind, then post a starting bid so we know if we're in the ballpark with your expectations.

If an item sells locally before the auction is ended, it is legitimate to close the auction.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic