The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-13-2017, 05:22 AM

Default Winter shipments of guitars

Have you ever purchased an acoustic that needed to be shipped to you during the winter months. Solid wood top...concerned about damage due to cold and low humidity. I live in Mass.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Yes. My suggestion is to leave it unpacked in the box for six to eight hours before opening. This is to let it warm up slowly as you do not want to shock the finish of the guitar as it can get damaged with a quick change of temperature.

I recently received a guitar via USPS during a cold period. As an experiment I put a thermometer probe into the box before opening it. Through a 1/8 inch hole. Kind of like a food thermometer. It showed it was sixty degrees in the box so I opened it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-13-2017, 07:24 AM

Agree that it's best to let the guitar come to room temperature slowly in the box before opening. Humidity is generally at least as great a concern as temperature. I'd also ask the seller to ship with a soundhole humidifier if possible. I like the Oasis. Pay the extra $20 to reimburse the seller for one if necessary. Also ask them to wrap the case in a large sealed plastic bag to keep the moisture in the case. While I generally abhor styrofoam packing peanuts, they do a decent job of insulating, but if the guitar will be in transit for more than a day or two it may not matter much.

Where is the guitar coming from?
Old 12-13-2017, 08:14 AM

Its coming from Indiana to Mass. Thanks for the tips.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:31 AM

I recently had one shipped from Fla to Colo. It was mid 30's here when it arrived, it was fine. Of course as mentioned above, best to let it acclimate for a few hours before opening the case.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:45 PM

I know you're supposed to let them acclimate - but I usually open the shipping box enough to slip my hand inside as deep as I can. If it's cold, then I let it sit overnight. If it's warm enough -I just go to it.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 12-18-2017, 01:19 PM

I had a new one shipped last year, in December, from Michigan to Nashville, even though there was not a great difference in the temp, I let it sit for 12 hours before opening it up. Just to be safe rather than sorry later. People have no idea how long its been sitting in one of those trucks, in the cold, before delivery, so be careful.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

I bought a guitar last December and agreed with the seller that we would keep an eye on the weather and ship on the first Monday where the entire transit route would be subject to temps no lower than 25 degrees. It took about 4 weeks before the conditions were right.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-18-2017, 07:33 PM

I recently received a guitar that spent 4 days in transit. It was just below freezing the whole time here in Canada. The shipper took some interesting measures;
  • 1st Planet Waves humidifier inside the case with a magnetic attachment so it didn't move, filled before transit
  • 2nd Planet Waves humidifier that rests between the strings in the sound hole, filled before transit
  • The guitar was well padded within the case
  • The case was wrapped with a LOT of shrink wrap to trap in all humidity!! Might of cost $3 in shrink wrap. Very smart!!
  • I was told to wait 1 hour before opening the box, then another hour before opening the case... I added a 3rd hour just in case
  • Then I recorded my opening of the case. First thing I saw was a Planet Waves thermometer/hygrometer. Temp was 21.9C (71.4F) and humidity was @ 40.5%.
  • It was all solid wood with a lacquer finish and not one finish check
Old 12-19-2017, 04:54 AM

My guitar arrived in great shape..I let it aclimate for 4-6 hours like they suggested and put it in my guitar room with the humidifier going..wonderful and very happy.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:14 AM

Congratulations.

My biggest worry was not the shipping itself, but the next few years keeping it humidified in the semi-arid Colorado climate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical