The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-12-2017, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Wink Common courtesy when selling a guitar on AGF!

..... Please, people, be aware of your surroundings, & have courtesy for your potential buyers. The rule of thumb should be "Sell unto others as you would have others sell unto you!" Many sellers make themselves absent to prospective buyers, & I know I'm not the only one who's been affected by this. Many posts in the classifieds have little to no info, as far as pictures, specs, woods, etc. That's fine, it's your ad, & if you want to keep it simple & bare bones, it's your choice. But please check your pm box, & keep room enough in it for questions. In other words, be available. I've had at least two or more guitars, that I really wanted, swept out from under my feet, because I could not reach the seller with a question. Many here buy guitars not caring what the specs are, & then if it doesn't fit, they get rid of it. But I like to buy with the hope it will be a keeper. Like many here, I know what specs work for me, nut width, string spacing, woods, neck shape, etc. Using the AGF PM system is the prefered method of communication between members. Then if they agree, they can switch to e-mail. I've posted questions about guitars for sale, & get a response 2 months later saying, "Oh, sorry, I seldom check my pms. Or more often, I never get a response at all! Or it bounces because their inbox is full. If a seller does not intend to use their pm box, please ask interested parties to contact by e-mail. Acoustic guitars are expensive, shipping takes a big toll, as does the weather. We're not selling ball bearings here, where all are the same, where if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. So please, when selling a guitar here, be courteous. Be available. Be contactable. Be interactive. Rant over.
Steve

Last edited by Stevien; 12-12-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Smile Go Stevien!

Well put! Did not seem like a RANT, to me as it was all lower case. I am often baffled by the lack of info in ads.
If the seller Does not care enough to list specs, a reasonable description, and post good pics or a link to some somewhere with out a hassle to see them, I rarely even inquire.
I too only buy if I think it may well be a keeper I will Play. Otherwise why bother, especially in this depressed market!

Thanks for the heads up for sellers!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-12-2017, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

I would also suggest the same of buyers. Can't tell you how many "I'll take it!"s I've gotten only to be completely ignored after my "You're first in line, so it's yours when you're ready" response.

Cannot even count how many times there were lines of multiple buyers who eventually walk or buy something else while waiting for me waiting for someone who reached me first.

I'm sure I'm guilty of both over the years, I just think common courtesy going both ways makes for a stronger community.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandhi85 View Post
I would also suggest the same of buyers. Can't tell you how many "I'll take it!"s I've gotten only to be completely ignored after my "You're first in line, so it's yours when you're ready" response.

Cannot even count how many times there were lines of multiple buyers who eventually walk or buy something else while waiting for me waiting for someone who reached me first.

I'm sure I'm guilty of both over the years, I just think common courtesy going both ways makes for a stronger community.
..... Indeed! Many of us have been on that side of the coin as well. It definitely works both ways! Once again, common courtesy. Think of it as if you were on the other end.
Steve

Last edited by Stevien; 12-12-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:08 PM

Well said, Steve! As one who purchased from Steve, I can tell you he's totally well versed in what it takes to make a transaction a great experience. (thanks Steve! and sorry for the losses on those guitars). some of the "war stories" are pretty amazing to hear....certainly important to educate and remind folks so that good stuff happens between buyer and seller.
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 12-13-2017, 12:02 AM

Hear ye, hear ye. Good points. Respect and courtesy are always the way of the day.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandhi85 View Post

Cannot even count how many times there were lines of multiple buyers who eventually walk or buy something else while waiting for me waiting for someone who reached me first...
It may sound callous; but if I'm selling something, the first person to put the funds into my PayPal account is the buyer, not somebody who was "first in line."
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-13-2017, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
It may sound callous; but if I'm selling something, the first person to put the funds into my PayPal account is the buyer, not somebody who was "first in line."
Not callous at all. It's the proper way to do business.

Even when a potential seller commits, but does not pay immediately, it is perfectly appropriate for the seller to put them on a reasonable payment "clock" after which the instrument will again be made available to other buyers.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 12-13-2017, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Seems like a trip down ..... first world problems lane...

"Expectations" of behavior on the part of others are often fraught with disappointments . Perhaps the reality is the problem actually lies as much or more, in the expectation or disappointment , rather than the behavior... just a thought

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-13-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Well said from a sellers perspective. I would only add that if a buyer expresses an interest via email or pm please be aware that some of us do not have email or the AGF on a device that enables us to respond instantly.

So, if as a prospective buyer I do not respond instantly perhaps assume that I'm doing some of the many other interesting things in my life rather than concluding that I am a horrible and insensitive human being. I would never expect that a sale will be held up for me, sell it to the first one who shows up with cash, no hard feelings here. Just my perspective.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Seems to me the answer here is don’t be in a hurry and wait for great guitars from engaged sellers. Can’t really change seller behavior if the argument is “your Guitar sold before I could ask my questions”.

I certainly have endeavored to be communicative when selling a guitar myself, and I am also baffled by those who aren’t, but I’m not convinced a thread here will create any incentives for behavioral change.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post

I certainly have endeavored to be communicative when selling a guitar myself, and I am also baffled by those who aren’t, but I’m not convinced a thread here will create any incentives for behavioral change.
And I'm 99% sure you are right, based on my 15 years experience here.
Case in point - bumping a guitar to say it's sold, or even "decided to keep it". I've tried to make that point a few times.....doesn't sink in.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Seems like a trip down ..... first world problems lane...

"Expectations" of behavior on the part of others are often fraught with disappointments . Perhaps the reality is the problem actually lies as much or more, in the expectation or disappointment , rather than the behavior... just a thought
I actually think that when someone posts on the "For Sale" section of the forum, the expectations of both the buyer and the seller are supposed to be high. The buyer wants to know exactly what he is purchasing and the seller wants to have realistic information from buyers.

If we were talking about a dating forum I could see your point.
2015 Ian Anderson Telecaster
1998 Ehlers 16J European Maple/Engleman
2022 Beard Mike Aldridge Resonator
2015 Beard Legacy R1992
2020 National Scheerhorn Resonator
1967 Guild D-50
2021 Harmony Silhouette
Old 12-13-2017, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith7940236 View Post
I actually think that when someone posts on the "For Sale" section of the forum, the expectations of both the buyer and the seller are supposed to be high. The buyer wants to know exactly what he is purchasing and the seller wants to have realistic information from buyers.

If we were talking about a dating forum I could see your point.
Actually I was talking about life ... I know It's hard to see the sunset while staring at one's shoes , Perhaps read my post again ...It's talking about possibly unrealistic expectations, and especially about self inflicted disappointment in those unrealized expectations . Those things don't change dating or buying/selling guitars

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-13-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:48 PM

Selling is a game.

It's a dynamic process and if things go perfect...

Then there are 2 winners..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic