The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-20-2013, 07:22 PM

Default From Cervantes Crossover 1 to : TH-5C? Cordoba FCWE ? Hirade HC-90?

So I bought a Cervantes Crossover 1 Engelman Spruce, IR, and I absolutely love the sound,play feel, craftsmanship, every bit I love, however my hands are too big for this beauty. I am used to trad. classical and even prefer a 1 7/8" width nut on my steel strings. So I need to go back to a 2" trad classical nut. Where do you go after you play such a complete guitar and need to change out to something else for playability sake? Do any of you have experience with the list of guitars above? I hate this feeling of finding the right combination of what you look for in a crossover and then like the proverbial shoe, you love it and then it fits tight. If you are a steel string player looking for a classical crossover, there is no better than a Cervantes Crossover 1. I know they have the Crossover 2 but I prefer guitars with a truss rod if possible. If someone would trade me a Crossover 2 I would go for it, but I don't have the bucks to try it out new. So what do you gentlemen say? Any
thoughts on where to go from here?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 PM

Ramirez George Harrison model
Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 PM

Thanks for feedback. What separates the GH model
from other Ramirez's in this niche?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

I've owned the TH-5C and a TH-90 and they were both great guitars. However the Takamine 132 models seem about as nice for much less if you are on a tight budget. You can often pick one of these up at a low cost on Ebay or Craigslist.

YouTube Site
Old 06-22-2013, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the reinforcement that they are great guitars. Do any
of you prefer the punch of Mahogany backed classicals?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 PM

Silverband,

For what it's worth, I would suggest keeping the Cervantes and just play the bejeebers out of it. Your hands will grow accustomed to the small difference is nut width... you have a great guitar... persevere.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical