The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Default WOOT! New Cordoba in the house...

Wife and I are visiting in Vegas and I just picked up a Cordoba GK Studio at Guitar Center at the Town Square Mall. Had two identical GK Studios (plus a negra and a 55FCE) and I liked this one really spoke to me out of all of them. So light and snappy. Got a great flamenco attack. Also liked it better than the Taylor,.Yamaha, and Godin nylons they had. I've got a pair of Breedlove nylons that I've been playing for the past 15 months that are great. One of them is an American Masterclass model. But they're mellower. This Cordoba has a quicker attack/response. Hard to believe that a Chinese guitar could become my main gigging instrument! Cordoba makes a great guitar! Not only for the money... but.great, PERIOD!
Old 05-15-2013, 04:30 PM

Sounds like you found a good choice for you ,, enjoy..

Both of my classicals were made by a Oklahoma luthier
named Johnny Walker...if you ever go high end
i would suggest him.. and it wound be instantly customized
for you...
best regards,
Rick
Old 05-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Rick. I actually corresponded with him at one point and mentioned that it would be pretty neat to have one of his guitars. Will have to get that on my short list!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Cordoba makes a great guitar! Not only for the money... but.great, PERIOD!
I concur. I definitely feel like they are the best value going in nylon string guitars. I'm impressed with most every Cordoba I've picked up over the past several years.

Congrats on the new guitar.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 05-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Gigged the GK Studio last night and it was great. Not in the same league in terms of fit&finish, wood quality, or construction as the American-made Breedlove. But definitely a better fit for my current style. So I put the Bossa Nova up for sale here in the AGF Classifieds today and plan to pick-up the higher-end, GK Pro with the proceeds.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

*** UPDATE ***

Ordered a GK Pro (Blanca) from Sam Ash (only place I could find one in stock) yesterday. It's supposed to arrive on Friday. But here's the killer, I ALSO ordered a Cordoba FCWE Reissue from Sweetwater yesterday! They were having a 2 years, no interest promo on the Cordoba brand and they had the FCWE in stock. So I decided to pull the trigger on that as well. It's also supposed to arrive on Friday. Katie at Sweetwater sent me actual pics of the inbound FCWE last night. Looks like she's going to be a beauty. And being made in Spain is a plus as well!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

*** UPDATE ***

Brand new pic of the quickly-growing Cordoba family. Love 'em all! Even though the GK Pro and FCWE Reissue are far superior guitars in terms of fit&finish and build quality, the "lowly" GK Studio still holds its own against them in sound and playability. The most "pleasant" to play is the FCWE, because of its thin body. I'm sure that I'll be using it the most at gigs. Plugged-in, it sounds just as full as the other two. For mic'd recording I'll choose the GK Pro or Studio. The thinner FCWE has plenty of volume, but being thinner it lacks the bottom end and lower mids of the thicker bodies. I can't recommend Cordoba enough based on my experience with them thus far!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:26 PM

That's a very fine and happy family there! I've got a GK-Studio Negra that I really like a lot. Cannot be be touched for the money. I also recently played a C10, and wow! is what I have to say about that. What a great guitar at that price point. Just thinking about that thing make me want one, but I just can't do it right now.

When I do look to buy another nylon string guitar. Cordoba will be at the top of my list until I run across a better value (or something that even comes close).
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 PM

Wow - so you bought all 3 within the past month? Are you going to keep them all? ... and Congrats! Great family photo.

It's always nice to gig with a guitar for the first time, isn't it?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:39 PM

Congrats Red Label, these Cordobas are rather well made, quite alot of guitar for the asking price imo. I played the Cordoba GK Studio as well as the Cordoba Orchestra CE pictured below and found them to be a whole lot of fun even for an old steel string guys like me. Sound pretty nice through an amp too.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Wow - so you bought all 3 within the past month? Are you going to keep them all? ... and Congrats! Great family photo.

It's always nice to gig with a guitar for the first time, isn't it?
Yeah, I tend to go crazy when I find something I really like.

May be adding ANOTHER Cordoba to the family in short order as well.

And yes... "fresh" feeling guitars inspire me to play and write at home, and to play better at gigs (in general).
Old 05-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
Congrats Red Label, these Cordobas are rather well made, quite alot of guitar for the asking price imo. I played the Cordoba GK Studio as well as the Cordoba Orchestra CE pictured below and found them to be a whole lot of fun even for an old steel string guys like me. Sound pretty nice through an amp too.

That's a sweet looking guitar! I've always loved the look of rosewood-bodied guitars, so I've bought a LOT of them over the years. In the case of nylon strung guitars though... I'm finding that I prefer the snap of brighter tonewoods, like the cypress on all three of my current Cordobas. I used to play classical, and for that it's hard to beat rosewood/cedar. But where I'm at right now, cypress/spruce seems to really float my boat.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
That's a very fine and happy family there! I've got a GK-Studio Negra that I really like a lot. Cannot be be touched for the money. I also recently played a C10, and wow! is what I have to say about that. What a great guitar at that price point. Just thinking about that thing make me want one, but I just can't do it right now.

When I do look to buy another nylon string guitar. Cordoba will be at the top of my list until I run across a better value (or something that even comes close).
I've really be eye-balling the Solista Flamenca. It was a very HARD decision between the FCWE and the Solista. I wanted the Solista for recording, but for live work the FCWE easily wins out on features (thin body, cutaway, electronics). Eventually I'm sure I'll acquire a Solista though.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:57 PM

Congrats on the new guitars Red_Label. I've got my eye on the GK Pro as well but they are tough to find! If you had to choose only one for an all around guitar which would you choose?

Great guitars for the money. I have a Fusion Orchestra CE that I really love. The neck is perfect for my hands. You can see and hear it on my Youtube channel below.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Strongdad, for an all-around great Cordoba I'd recommend the GK Pro. So I think youre on the right track there. I had trouble finding one in stock as well. Then I stumbled on the one at Sam Ash and cancelled my backorder at Sweetwater. Their site says one should arrive soon though.

The GK Pro is a nice playing, nice sounding guitar. Both plugged in and acoustically. I got the FCWE Reissue (and now the 55FCE that I bought off of ebay yesterday on the way) strictly for live performance. They sound as good as the thicker bodies (plugged in of course) but are more comfortable to play because of the thinner bodies. The necks however are fatter than on the GKs and I much prefer the smaller GK necks. If I had to whittle it down to one right now, I'd definitely pick the GK Pro.

Last edited by Red_Label; 05-31-2013 at 09:41 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical