The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-08-2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
CPA,

For a couple of reasons, I find your response curious. First, as the wait list evidences, the market has spoken on this one. Second, I don't understand why you'd express disbelief (or belief) about the quality of an instrument you've not seen or played.

Of course, if you did experience one of Kim's guitars, you might not like it. I prefer his instruments over those of the makers of the guitars in your signature line, but you might not. But, to question the decision of those who've chosen to wait for an instrument made by a builder whose work you've not experienced seems, again, curious.
And by the way I did not question the decision of those who have chosen to wait, all I said (which I should have made it clear IMO "I would find it hard to believe that they are sonically and artistically superior to some of these other high enders that can be had on a much shorter timeline"

That really has nothing to do with questioning those who have chosen to wait, but really that I cannot fathom there not being an artistic and sonic equivalent in a much shorter timeline, that's all. I am sure there are lots who question whether an Olson is worth what it costs, but that is very different than what I said. You really cannot tell me that a Walker is the ONLY gutiar that sounds as beautiful as it does or looks as nice as it does. Because if there is an artistic and sonic equivalent, then point it out and if it has a wait time under 9 years, then my statement is proved accurate.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
You really cannot tell me that a Walker is the ONLY gutiar that sounds as beautiful as it does or looks as nice as it does.
Oh, I don't have an interest in telling you anything and hope that I didn't offend you by musing about why you'd express an opinion about the wait time for the guitars of a builder whose work you've not experienced.

I'd happily let you play my Walkers (or any of my vintage guitars) if you ever find yourself in New England.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Oh, I don't have an interest in telling you anything and hope that I didn't offend you by musing about why you'd express an opinion about the wait time for the guitars of a builder whose work you've not experienced.

I'd happily let you play my Walkers (or any of my vintage guitars) if you ever find yourself in New England.
Not sure why it matters if I have played a Kim Walker or not. Are you disagreeing with the fact that are sonically and artistically equivalent gutiars that are being made by builders with less than 9 years wait time? That was literally the only point I am making.

I have no doubt they are exceptional instruments and this has nothing to do with them being exceptional or not, it only has to do with what a potential buyer has as other options. That's all! I have considered putting a deposit on a Kim Walker just to get my name on the list.... but after thinking about it, I just came to the conclusion that I stated above. Again, I have no doubt his guitars are great, in fact, I even had an opportunity to buy one and I honestly didn't think I could get something that was that drastically different than what I have and what is in the works.

And appreciate the offer to play your Kim Walkers. Same goes if you ever get to Florida.

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Last edited by cpabolting; 11-08-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Mike Baranik is renowned for his fit and finish and attention to detail. He fits all the other criteria you list. One person shop, highly regarded, and a true artist.
Steve
I would like to second that. After lurking his website for a year or so, i finally met him at the Montreal Guitar Show. He is an awesome guy, and always has been willing to help me in my building journeys. I DEFINITELY recommend Mike Baranik. Not to mention, the guitars sound amazing, and look like no other guitars out there, he is for sure a pioneer aesthetically. And those asymmetrical body shapes...oooh!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:00 AM

"Guitars, unlike lemons, we cannot quantify what is the most one can get out of it."

Which is why whether you think your statement is correct is irrelevant. That's just your opinion. Whether you played a Kim Walker isn't even very important. Even those who HAVE played a Ryan (handbuilt) and a Martin (factory) can't techincally prove which is better.

Why?

Because sound is objective.

Bottom line is that everyone's different.

Last edited by Fliss; 11-08-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: AGF rule 1, please check FAQ, thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 11:11 AM

1. Kim is a great builder. For quality he should be on any short list.

2. His wait time is 9 years.

3. CPABolting is uniquely qualified to comment on his own beliefs about the above.

Can we move on?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM

As Howard said, this has probably gone way longer than it should..the spirit of Custom Build section is the different variables that make the customs unique. Hope to have one one day.

Last edited by rocthemikee; 11-08-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthemikee View Post
As Howard said, this has probably gone way longer than it should..the spirit of Custom Build section is the different variables that make the customs unique. Hope to have one one day.
I thought you had a Kim Walker. Sorry for my incorrect assumption.

No doubt there are lots of fine guitars, and I think at the upper end of the instruments, the differences wind up being small. I think with most items that are always under development to think of what can one do to squeeze a little more juice out of the lemon. Glad everyone keeps trying innovative ways to do so, especially here on AGF.

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Old 11-08-2010, 01:16 PM

Reading this post makes me so glad that I can still go out and find a nice example of a plain ole medium priced Taylor, Martin, Larrivee, Collings, Santa Cruz, or etc. and find total deep down happiness/satisfaction without having to worry about having my next handbuilt done by the latest and greatist of the moment luthier, and possibly having to wait 9 years. Geez guys we seem to have come along way since the "Taylor Guitar Forum". Good luck sixkids.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylerpaw View Post
Reading this post makes me so glad that I can still go out and find a nice example of a plain ole medium priced Taylor, Martin, Larrivee, Collings, Santa Cruz, or etc. and find total deep down happiness/satisfaction without having to worry about having my next handbuilt done by the latest and greatist of the moment luthier, and possibly having to wait 9 years. Geez guys we seem to have come along way since the "Taylor Guitar Forum". Good luck sixkids.
LOL... 9 years does seem like a long time to have something built. Imagine waiting 9 years for a house? Your needs might be different then!

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Old 11-08-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Can we move on?
Good advice! There are loads of makers whose guitars are worth waiting for, including Mr. Klepper's. Indeed, CPA, I'd like to extend an olive branch and invite you to meet at Healdsburg, where we can swap Walkers and Kleppers! And, maybe get a drink (or 3), too.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Good advice! There are loads of makers whose guitars are worth waiting for, including Mr. Klepper's. Indeed, CPA, I'd like to extend an olive branch and invite you to meet at Healdsburg, where we can swap Walkers and Kleppers! And, maybe get a drink (or 3), too.
I am trying to bribe my Wife to go with promises of wine tastings, lush accomodations, and short visits to guitar festivals. My Klepper Pernambuco dread will be either headed for third base or rounding it! I certainly would like to check out some Walkers.... just won't wait 9 years for one LOL

If you come to Tampa, look for the guy gigging with two Olsons... that's me looking all serious LOL

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Old 11-08-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
I am trying to bribe my Wife to go with promises of wine tastings, lush accomodations, and short visits to guitar festivals. My Klepper Pernambuco dread will be either headed for third base or rounding it! I certainly would like to check out some Walkers.... just won't wait 9 years for one LOL
I'll be at Healdsburg to give a talk about CITES (Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species) and I'll likely have a Walker in tow. Let's meet and pick a few tunes!

If you find yourself in CT, I'll be the fellow gigging with the 1917 Dyer Symphony Harp guitar:

Old 11-08-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I'll be at Healdsburg to give a talk about CITES (Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species) and I'll likely have a Walker in tow. Let's meet and pick a few tunes!

If you find yourself in CT, I'll be the fellow gigging with the 1917 Dyer Symphony Harp guitar:
That is one heck of an instrument. Am I going to get lectured if I attend the talk since I told Klepper I didn't care if my set of Pernambuco was poached or not (it wasn't by the way)... I cared about how it sounded and looked LOL

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Old 11-08-2010, 03:18 PM

Thanks. The harp guitar presents extraordinary possibilities and ... challenges.

Oh, and I gig with my Walkers, too:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop