The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-03-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
I have the incredible opportunity, assuming that people feel like donating, of commissioning an AGF guitar. I'll want to use it primarily for my own version of fingerstyle playing, but it will need to stand up well to relatively light strumming. I'm not overly concerned with appearance, but I would like this special guitar to look nice and sound wonderful! My price limit, hopefully, will be somewhere around $5,000. Because this comes from AGF members, I feel a strong loyalty to our forum Sponsors. I consider each of them friends, and want to limit my choice of builders to someone on that list. But that still gives me a wide range of builders, most of whose instruments I've not yet had opportunity to play.

If you were in my shoes, which builder(s) might you select for someone with my budget and preferences, and why? Feel free to include which woods and body style you would recommend.

If you'd like, I invite you to PM any thoughts about which of these builders you might not choose and why, though I'd rather not invite those types of comments to be posted publicly.

Please note: we are not voting, with the "winner" being automatically chosen. I'm simply asking for opinions, opinions that I will value, even if I eventually choose someone else. I will appreciate the help of my more experienced custom guitar playing friends.

Assuming that the money becomes available, yes, I'll do a Build Thread on this guitar. Can't believe how this whole thing warms and quickens my heart!

cotten
I would check out Don Sharp's guitars. His work is exceptional, the tonal qualities of his instruments are exceptional and, the playability is like butter. His SC model is a true fingerstyle instrument. I would go with a rosewood, african blackwood, or macassar ebony with a cedar of italian spruce top.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperboy View Post
For a fingerstyle guitar... I can attest to Cornerstone being a fine choice with first hand experience. If I had a bit more fingerstyle skill I'd still have my SJ

One exactly like that, yes.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 09-03-2010, 12:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Cotten plays well with others.

By the way, my brother says all those others frets are just there for looks.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Racman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post

By the way, my brother says all those others frets are just there for looks.
Isn't that why people place "picture" inlays between them?
Old 09-03-2010, 04:04 PM

I've been reading with great interest all the recommendations friends have been sending my way, many born out of many years of experience. I've enjoyed talking preliminarily with several fine builders. This process is absolutely thrilling - and humbling!

But if you asked me right now what my thoughts were, they would be something close to fear. Fear? Yes! Not that I would make a bad choice or wouldn't be happy with the guitar, but fear that in the process of choosing a fine builder I will be un-choosing many more! Oh, I know that they're all grown ups who are accustomed to being both selected and not selected by customers, but these folks are not just businesses to me. They're friends!

The last thing I'd want to do is to disappoint any friend, especially one who has offered to do an exceptional job at no small sacrifice. Some of you understand completely, for you have made your recommendations privately, not wanting to give even the slightest opportunity for offense. I wouldn't want to do that, either, but my choice of builders will be very public, and that brings with it a certain weight. No, not fear exactly, but a realization that I can't order a guitar from each of our fine forum Sponsors. If I could, I would!

I'll need all the wisdom I can get, and all the grace and understanding I can get from my Sponsor friends, especially those that I have to un-select.

Wow! I can't believe I'm even whining about such a thing!

cotten
Old 09-03-2010, 04:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Tough life. Ain't it? Ya whiner.

It doesn't matter who you pick to make your new toy, Cotten. What matters is that you well deserve the guitar of your choice.

As you can tell, some of us are enjoying riding out this part of the adventure with you.

You really are quite the guy, and we won't let you worry too much.To solve this dilemma have Phil (Riorider) build the guitar!

(Phil, you can smack me later. )

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:03 PM

Some advice:

If possible play an example or two of the prospective Luthier's guitars. Not always possible so it shouldn't rule any person out. Also talk privately with some past customers of theirs and feel them out.

Try to express and show examples of your playing style. It helps the builder get an idea of how to work your instrument.

Discuss Neck shapes, scale lengths, body depth ect to make sure the instrument is comfortable to your personal geometry. Examples of necks you like is helpful.

See how available the luthier is for questions, calls, e-mails. So that you know what to expect, communication wise.

When it comes to upgrading features focus on the tone improving details more than the eye candy.

Find out a builders philosophy on design and what they do to go about getting the best out of each instrument.

Check the credentials of the builder. ie: How long have they been building. How many guitars have they built. Who have the studied under, or worked with, and what they learned from doing so.

There's much more of course, but some ideas.....
Old 09-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Hi, John. I'll PM what I have to say... but you might be surprised.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 09-05-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Some advice:

If possible play an example or two of the prospective Luthier's guitars. Not always possible so it shouldn't rule any person out. Also talk privately with some past customers of theirs and feel them out...
Thanks, John. I'm working on both of these suggestions. This thread and the PMs/emails have been very helpful, but I'm still a long way from making a choice.

cotten
Old 09-17-2010, 04:41 AM

So just to throw the odd-duck suggestion out there, how about this:

Spec what you think might be your ideal guitar. Could be as simple as just saying, as you did, "This is my kind of playing style". Or you could get specific and pick the woods, the figure of the grain, the appointments, etc. Open it up to any AGF sponsors to build you the best guitar based on the information you give then wrap it all up with an all-AGF get together (maybe in Istanbul ) where you will pick your favorite.

Now this, of course, is suggested by someone who does not know the guitar business and has no idea how easy or difficult it is to sell a spec guitar when they've got their own money invested. And it also means you'll have to pick one in the end.

But man, that'd be a party to come to and in the mean time we'd have some killer build threads in the custom section

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 09-17-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Thanks, John. I'm working on both of these suggestions. This thread and the PMs/emails have been very helpful, but I'm still a long way from making a choice.

cotten
Okay...so we all agree there is a plethora of fine builders out there. I would narrow it down to 5 luthiers and find out who can get your guitar started. No point picking someone who is 2 years out!

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 09-17-2010, 07:22 AM

Lots of great builders meet your specvs as stated. Don't forgte to consider Froggy Bottom Guitars who build about 50% of their instruments as custom orders and are at the top of your pricelist.

That said, you should also consider what you can buy for $5k o the preowned market which is plenty.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 09-17-2010, 07:55 AM

Thanks, handers, but as this guitar is the result of donations by my AGF friends (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=192789), I decided early on that it would be a new guitar, not a pre-loved one, and that I would limit my choice of builders to those who help support this community as Sponsors.

If I were ready to just go out and spend $5,000 or so of my own dollars on a guitar (like that would be possible these days!), I may well consider your advice. But this is for a special occasion, a very special award. I'm happy with the few choices I've already made.

jeastman, your idea of having all our Sponsors build me a guitar and then letting me choose would be a lot of fun - for me - but I don't know how practical that would be from their standpoint. Building a custom guitar to someone's specifications represents a big investment of time, energy, expertise and money, and I suspect that not many of our builders would be willing to risk having built a guitar that only people like me would buy.

cpabolting, good point. Our Sponsor luthiers are a busy bunch, and while I certainly wouldn't expect a commissioned guitar to arrive in six weeks, I probably wouldn't want to wait till our 20th Anniversary to receive it, either. Just another factor to be considered.

Actually, riorider has said that while the donations for this guitar have been substantial, and I'll add tremendously appreciated, the total so far remains a good bit short of the $5,000 goal. This impacts the decision, too. So until I have a clearer picture of the amount I'll have to offer a luthier, I'm holding off on trying to make much progress on the selection process.

Oh, but I can dream, and I'm thoroughly enjoying revisiting our Sponsors' web sites, with a bit different perspective this time. Regardless of whether they might see themselves commissioning a custom guitar any time soon, I would encourage each AGFer to spend some time getting to know the products and services of each of our AGF Sponsors. They be Good Folks!

cotten
Old 09-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Racman

+5 on that one Cotten. When I was looking to commission a guitar I e-mailed mostly AGF sponsors and the response was great what wonderful people our AGF Luthiers are. It was a real challenge choosing one but eventually everything lined up and pointed firmly at Peter M from Cornerstone. But that was for me and my discussions, decisions and conditions - yours may be different.

I must say that I have and am enjoying every minute of the build process ( started early August).
Old 09-17-2010, 11:06 AM

I'm not quite sure why you would want to limit yourself to those builder only who are sponsors of this website. Most of the good folks here I know to some degree, and they're fine builders and people, but there are a lot of other builders out there besides these few who make exceptional instruments. This site barely scratches the surface.

Why limit yourself?

What if the best guitar out there for you is made by someone else, and for less money?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop