The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-31-2010, 06:33 AM

Default Choosing a Sponsor's $5000 Fingerstyle

I have the incredible opportunity, assuming that people feel like donating, of commissioning an AGF guitar. I'll want to use it primarily for my own version of fingerstyle playing, but it will need to stand up well to relatively light strumming. I'm not overly concerned with appearance, but I would like this special guitar to look nice and sound wonderful! My price limit, hopefully, will be somewhere around $5,000. Because this comes from AGF members, I feel a strong loyalty to our forum Sponsors. I consider each of them friends, and want to limit my choice of builders to someone on that list. But that still gives me a wide range of builders, most of whose instruments I've not yet had opportunity to play.

If you were in my shoes, which builder(s) might you select for someone with my budget and preferences, and why? Feel free to include which woods and body style you would recommend.

If you'd like, I invite you to PM any thoughts about which of these builders you might not choose and why, though I'd rather not invite those types of comments to be posted publicly.

Please note: we are not voting, with the "winner" being automatically chosen. I'm simply asking for opinions, opinions that I will value, even if I eventually choose someone else. I will appreciate the help of my more experienced custom guitar playing friends.

Assuming that the money becomes available, yes, I'll do a Build Thread on this guitar. Can't believe how this whole thing warms and quickens my heart!

cotten
Old 08-31-2010, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Any number of these guys could work with you to get close to that figure. However, if it were me I'd give first consideration to Simon Fay. His base price is far enough under your budget to let you spec in a couple of optional extras.

I find his guitars to be as comfortable as any instrument in the OM/SJ range could possibly be because of some of his detail work that makes it that way. And his sound is great, very open and what I'd be tempted to call "neutral" or "natural".

Of course you can say something like that about many of our top builders around here but Simon's guitars are as good as any and I think he takes comfort to a higher level than most. And I would totally trust his advice as to how to get the exact woods and features that suit you without running the tab up by thousands of dollars.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 08-31-2010, 07:23 AM

This isn't going to be easy John.....
Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 AM

Simon Fay's OM does look like a great model.

For a project like this, a forum sponsor might give you a little leeway on the price. If so, I would also consider a McKnight Highlander. Tim is great to work with. As for woods, I would really just tell him what you're looking for tonewise and aesthetically and let him pick.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Mayes MJ-55 or his new fingerstyle guitar he's working on would be a great option. My recent MJ-55 in Italian Spruce and African Blackwood was mind boggling. I don't know how a guitar could get much better!!! John's guitars are 2nd to none and should be considered for sure. If you do go with one I highly recommend the Italian Spruce tops. John gets his from the same source as James Olson and they are amazing tops. You can't go wrong with a number of builders from this forum though. Its going to be a tough but fun decision.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
If you were in my shoes, which builder(s) might you select for someone with my budget and preferences, and why? Feel free to include which woods and body style you would recommend.
cotten
Congratulations!

Before you even consider any builder I think you should spend significant time thinking about the tone and playability you want; then hunt for the builder. You'll want to think about how you like to hold the guitar; this may dictate the range of body sizes that will work. Try to write down every aspect of tone and define how much or how little you want of it; make comparisons with various instruments. Define the styles of music you play, how you play it, and what you like to hear. Define the playability you want; responsiveness, neck shape, fretboard shape, scale length, string gauge, etc. If you want, I'll e-mail you the info I sent to the builder of my latest guitar; you could use it as a guide/template.

Once you know what you want, try to find a builder who offers all/most of it in their 'standard' model/process. This will keep down on the pricey options.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 08-31-2010, 07:56 AM

I'm glad you get to decide Cotton because that'd be a tough choice to make.

Authorized Dealer of:
Breedlove - Jackson - Fender - Martin - Schecter Guitar Research - Crossrock Cases
Old 08-31-2010, 08:32 AM

There has been a lot great advise here on the best approaches to having a guitar built. While I am not sure I will ever find myself needing to make the choice myself, the 1st decision factor that speaks to me is location. I would prefer to be able to have the opportunity to have personal interaction with the luthier and to watch the process. The engagement just seems to add a load of value to the guitar for everyone who describes it.

While I am not so expert to know who is the best, my sense is that most, if not all of the sponsors could build you an incredible guitar. Having only played or even seen a 50-75 hand made guitars at a couple of shops and at Forum gatherings, it is easy to imagine a guitar like the one Simon Fay put in my hands last week, or the one Lance Kragenbrink sent out to AGFers to sample a couple years ago indicate an ability to do build a guitar you would cherish forever. I have also played a couple of John Ostoff's guitars at Fine Acoustics that would point me in his direction, and it is hard to imagine you could go wrong with a McKnight. I also believe that a search would indicate that more knowledgeable and experienced AGFers than me also lend credibility to every one of our sponsers. Therefore, I think there appear to me to be numerous options for you.

Also have to say thanks to you and congrats. I am very much behind this initiative.

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 08-31-2010, 08:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

You pretty much can't go wrong on this as far as getting a good instrument and having a joyous experience is concerned. Because personal building and playing styles are so diverse, actually experiencing the work of your prospective choices before pulling the trigger is my best advice. I am saddened that your budget doesn't extend into my range.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:44 AM

There's alot of great sponsors, and I feel like pretty much any of them could make you an excellent guitar. Several of them have helped me ALOT, both directly and in directly. I feel like I own most of them Lunch.

Considering your location I'd recommend Greg Gwaltney to build your guitar. Like most of the others I'm sure Greg will do a super job. He's close enough you could pick out your woods in person, and probably drop by every now and then to check on it. For me there's something extra special about the client getting to see this stuff in person. I'm meeting a client later today at my "wood shed" to pick out his woods. I think that's alot better than just looking at pictures.

Disclaimer, I'm not familar with Gregs, or pretty much anyone elses pricing.

Edit/Added, work with the builder, whoever it is on the woods, and body style ect.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:58 AM

What style of music do you play, Cotten?

And what style of guitar do you currently like to play it on?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody b View Post
There's alot of great sponsors, and I feel like pretty much any of them could make you an excellent guitar. Several of them have helped me ALOT, both directly and in directly. I feel like I own most of them Lunch.

Considering your location I'd recommend Greg Gwaltney to build your guitar. Like most of the others I'm sure Greg will do a super job. He's close enough you could pick out your woods in person, and probably drop by every now and then to check on it. For me there's something extra special about the client getting to see this stuff in person. I'm meeting a client later today at my "wood shed" to pick out his woods. I think that's alot better than just looking at pictures.

Disclaimer, I'm not familar with Gregs, or pretty much anyone elses pricing.

Edit/Added, work with the builder, whoever it is on the woods, and body style ect.
I have talked to Greg at great lengths and I think he would make an outstanding instrument and the geography is favorable too for you to keep up with it and have involvement in the materials and so forth.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 08-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Because personal building and playing styles are so diverse, actually experiencing the work of your prospective choices before pulling the trigger is my best advice.
Boy, I just cannot agree strongly enough with this advice. Looks can be sooo decieving. What one person loves in a guitar, another will hate. There is no right or wrong, just personal preference.

After seeing a BMW 7 series, I decided that I would really like one for my next car. However, upon test driving one, I found I really disliked it. BMWs are excellent cars, they just don't fit what I like.

Have fun with your well deserved build.
LC
Old 08-31-2010, 09:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Cotten,
My advise is to try and play one our guitars (the AGF luthiers). Greg is really close to you -- so you should be able to get your hands on one of his. Also, most of us have demo instruments that we could send you.

While I'm sure that you would enjoy each Sponsor' guitar -- there really might be one builder's guitar that speaks to you more than the others. Honestly, I have been super impressed with each of the AGF luthier's guitars (though I have only been able to sample from just a few of them) - so you've got a great selection.

Also, I can arrange for my "roadtrip" guitar to make a stop in GA in a few weeks - that would at least give you some hands on experience with my guitars. Send me an email if you want me to arrange for that ([email protected])

Blessings,
Simon
Old 08-31-2010, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
Also, I can arrange for my "roadtrip" guitar to make a stop in GA in a few weeks - that would at least give you some hands on experience with my guitars. Send me an email if you want me to arrange for that ([email protected])

Blessings,
Simon
There ya go!
LC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop