The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-16-2017, 05:06 PM
Guest 1478

It's true, narcissism is in the western world is growing at an alarming rate.
While it's no easy task to pinpoint the causes I think a very large finger must be pointed at social media. The idea of posting every little thing one does during the course of a day erroneously creates an inflated value of self worth. Apart from being one of the drivers of the narcissistic explosion we are witnessing it is also staggeringly banal!

Last edited by Guest 1478; 12-16-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:46 PM

One of the many problems in today's world is the word "me" seems to carry far more importance than the word "we".
Old 12-17-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
One of the many problems in today's world is the word "me" seems to carry far more importance than the word "we".
Good point.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I think I said that in detail a few pages back.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-17-2017, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtjohn View Post
It's true, narcissism is in the western world is growing at an alarming rate.
While it's no easy task to pinpoint the causes I think a very large finger must be pointed at social media. The idea of posting every little thing one does during the course of a day erroneously creates an inflated value of self worth. Apart from being one of the drivers of the narcissistic explosion we are witnessing it is also staggeringly banal!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post
Good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I think I said that in detail a few pages back.
Putting aside for a moment the question of -- is this just the perception or is this in fact an accurate observation of current reality ? For example is this really an actual per 1000 people % increase in such traits , or is it simply that it happens say twice as often now days, because there are twice as many people ?

So let's say for the sake of argument , that if it is actually a % increase in these traits , then the obvious question is -- why is this happening ? ( if you're unable to suggest an answer or observation without crossing over into the "no fly zone" Please do not answer) I am interested in reasonable hypothesis, as opposed to partisan or dogmatic cliche'

xtjohn .... is suggesting the rise in popularity of social media, is a significant contributing factor . Perhaps , But I would pose this question-- why is posting daily thoughts and actions on on facebook (other than a perhaps a larger audience) fundamentally any different than say sharing daily thoughts and gossip and showing off among peers or a group of friends?? (that has been taking place since man developed language) And does access to social media really lead to an increase in an inflated sense of self importance, or is it simply a different method of approach and logistics for basically the same issues.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-17-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:45 AM

Very nice Summary: I happened to be at several dining spots over the wkend in Scottsdale, Az. I noticed on 6 different occasions, two couples (varying ages), double dating, never speaking, only manipulating their cell phones, independently. Same thing at a concert, (Brian Setzer), rude, idiotic people, pretending to be pro videographers, obstructing everyone's experience and view, and more importantly, missing the show. I see intelligent people using this technology to their advantage, and then putting it down for the other 95% of the day. Most of the others remind me of the customers at the restaurant in Spongebob Squarepants, that my kids used to occasionally laugh at. On a professional level, I hope for the best, yet I see worse outcomes with more technology and unnecessary expense. Maybe it's just my perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
I didn't reply to the thread in the first go around, but here goes (Note that I am a child of the 1950s):

I have come to believe that the "greatest generation" was an anomaly. They had the commonality of being born during a time of great social change (women get the vote, the jazz age, the "Great" war), and dealing with prosperity (1920s) followed by adversity (the depression followed by WWII). By the time the fifties rolled around, these folks (who had delayed gratification for many reasons) were ready to kick back, drink a beer, have families, go to college on the GI Bill, move out of their apartments to a real house in the suburbs, buy a first (then second) car, buy a tv, etc. etc. It was truly a time of upward mobility and prosperity. America had no competition in the world (You may remember a popular book from the time, "The Ugly American").

But, it wasn't all bread and roses. David Halberstam's book, "The Fifties", lends great support to the thought that that decade was a precursor to the tumult of the sixties and the seventies. In particular, he notes the forgotten generation who fought in Korea, the fear of thermonuclear war, the 'beat' generation (which it can be argued was a result of many vets returning from WWII unable to fit back into society), and the struggle of blacks to achieve equality and hitting walls placed in their way - both overt and covert. And let's not forget that women in the 1950s could also make a case for being treated as second class citizens.

The world has changed\evolved yet again. Like our parents generation (those born in the 1920's and raising families in the 50s and 60s) many of us are bewildered by the customs and music of our children.

IMO, the greatest change underlying our discomfort is longevity. Our grandparents (born in the 1890s) didn't expect to live much past 65. They were surprised when the made it to the 70's and some to the 80's. Our parents (born in the 1920s), expected to live till about age 80 and again, were surprised to live into, through and beyond that mark. My generation. similarly, will be faced with the prospect of living into the 90s, and likely beyond. We are in a time when families are establishing new social constructs and the elderly have time and energy, but little direction. Secondly, education\information and thirdly, mobility\communication, have totally changed the world.

I like what I am seeing in the upcoming generation (born in the 1990s). They are very communicative, even if it is not in the way we are familiar with. They are worldly - many have spent time overseas. They work collaboratively - many times because of the technology. And you might say that their defining film is 'Star Wars' , their literature, "Harry Potter"while their parents were defined by "Gidget" and the "Stones".

Enough of my rambling. Generalities are fun, but not always relevant. Each one of us lives with our own perception of our world and each one of us has the liberty to filter it as we wish. To many others points, there IS a lot more to filter these days. But I suspect that essentially, the individual and the individual's struggle in life hasn't changed all that much, but our perspective and overview has.

best,

Rick

PS -In previous generations, life was often cut short in its prime (disease, accidents and war). The 'boomers' have been relatively free from these issues and the millennials experience these issues even less - there is a lot to be hopeful for.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:34 PM

I didn't read through this thread so I expect my response to the OP has been suggested a couple times at least.

With the advent of personal electronics and devices that send people into their safe zones to surround themselves with more of themselves, the global recluse has been born upon, and buoyed by technology with happy marketing and promotional strategies to further it. People are now locked into their safe zones by the technology that sent them there, and then it threw away the key. Within those safe zones are the alters of one where there exists a personal morality and ethical behavior that need not be exercised to embrace a common good. The game afoot in this global scenario is to champion the one, the Id, the me, myself and I.

I don't own a cell phone or other personal electronics device disconnecting me from the aura of reality my world consists of.

If one might evidence the truth in the reclusive trending of people, the single response "no problem" is it. What is that telling us? It tells us that the person who helped someone was not removed from his or her technology-created reclusive nature remarkably enough to feel disturbed by being helpful for that moment. In this context, the response You're welcome seems illogical where No problem is much more suitable to the reality at large.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:02 PM
Guest 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

xtjohn .... is suggesting the rise in popularity of social media, is a significant contributing factor . Perhaps , But I would pose this question-- why is posting daily thoughts and actions on on facebook (other than a perhaps a larger audience) fundamentally any different than say sharing daily thoughts and gossip and showing off among peers or a group of friends?? (that has been taking place since man developed language) And does access to social media really lead to an increase in an inflated sense of self importance, or is it simply a different method of approach and logistics for basically the same issues.
I myself am not an expert on such matters but my post paraphrases what psychologists and sociologists who deal with this subject are saying in the literature that I've read and listened to (podcasts). Narcissism through social media is now considered to be an epidemic!
Old 12-17-2017, 03:14 PM

I see a loss of spiritual values...not to be confused with religious values. There is more to life than money and stuff.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I myself am not an expert on such matters but my post paraphrases what who deal with this subject are saying in the literature that I've read and listened to (podcasts). Narcissism through social media is now considered to be an epidemic!
I am not an expert either. And I have no doubts that some psychologists and sociologists might be saying it . Which is why I posed it as a question. But one I would ask of those same psychologists and sociologists also. What is the evidence and criteria that supports the conclusion? And is the interpretation of said evidence accurate.
And I was also alluding to-- is this conclusion taking into consideration the effect that the population epidemic is having on behavioral traits irrespective of social media ? It's fairly easy to label something an "epidemic" be they Doctor Sociologist or Joe Blow . It's an entirely different thing to lay out logical objective reasons (that reflect the entire picture) , for the label, again be it Joe B. or Dr. S.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-17-2017, 07:45 PM
Guest 1478

From what I'm seeing it's pretty much universally accepted in the psychology and sociology fields that the epidemic in narcissism is fact, not just a few left fielders putting their ideas out there. Apparently there is much evidence to support the widely held view that social media is a substantial contributing factor.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Narcissism through social media is now considered to be an epidemic!
I totally agree.
People taking and posting 'selfies' constantly, etc.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I totally agree.
People taking and posting 'selfies' constantly, etc.
I was involved in my first selfie photo last Sunday . Even though it was a fun occasion and with a complete stranger that liked my black Bah Humbug Christmas hat , it felt very awkward to me .
People requiring immediate validation from any source must have rather large empty places within themselves .
Having living experience with real world narcissists , I find this trend potentially very dangerous for all of the wrong reasons .
Since narcissists tend to pack up into self admiring groups , large numbers of them will create considerable rifts in the fabric of society .
Old 12-17-2017, 09:47 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Give me novocaine and penicillin over the "good old days" anytime.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-18-2017, 05:17 AM

It may not be narcissism as much as the innate need for relevancy that causes people to be drawn to social media.

Aren't we who post here just wanting to give our two cents? It is the same and nothing new.

How many threads are started about acquiring a new guitar or capo? Underlying this practice perhaps is a need for affirmation and comradery.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic