The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-15-2017, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Manuel Rodriguez Modelo B-Cutaway Boca MR Sol Y Sombra Classical Guitar

Has anyone here heard or played a Manuel Rodríguez B cutaway Sol y sombra guitar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5DvLfu_mWU

http://classicalguitarmagazine.com/r...eid=f277a5b88d
Old 12-15-2017, 09:01 PM

It's an intriguing looking guitar for sure. Hard to judge the sound from the video. I'm curious as well as to what's anyone's in hand impressions were.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:51 AM

I bought one of their Asian-made “Flamenco Moderna” models a while back... Looking for a “crossover” instrument in my price range.

It’s a terrific looking guitar, very classy with a cedar top, black-walnut laminate sides fand back, black tuning peg buttons...

Has a Fishman built-in pickup system.

Can’t say I’m ever going to be in love with the thing. Sounded great in the GC soundroom.... But the pickup is a bit wonky and very unbalanced on the bass strings. Best I can do is use my amp on the “acoustic emulation” setting.

Acoustic sound is.. Adequate.

I notice that GC is no longer carrying this model.....
Old 02-09-2018, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

So I bought a Manuel Rodriguez Modelo B-Cutaway Boca MR Sol Y Sombra Classical Guitar about a month ago. I almost returned it right away because the neck is not thin. But then I played it for awhile.

Then I played it for awhile again the next day.

I like this guitar. I expect to keep it.

The sound is good for a guitar in this price range. The trebles are better than the basses on this instrument, IMHO. The bass notes are ok. The trebles are good, sometimes VERY good. Of course, ALL of the notes would sound better in the hands of a better player..........

The neck is not TOO thick, but I really like the thin necks on the Cordoba GK Pro, and on the Parker Nylon Fly. I initially thought that the thickness of the neck on the Manuel Rodriguez Modelo B-Cutaway Boca MR Sol Y Sombra Classical Guitar would make it difficult for me to fret. But it did not. The more I played it, the more I liked playing it.

Interestingly, one of the features that I thought that I would dislike, I like; and one of the features that I thought that I would like, I dislike.

The guitar has a natural finish. I thought that I would dislike the natural finish. I thought that it would seem rough, and unfinished. But the more I played the guitar, the more I liked the natural finish, both aesthetically, and, importantly, because the natural finish makes the guitar MUCH less slippery when playing the guitar in the traditional classical guitar position. The guitar practically sticks to my left leg.

I thought that I would love having 24 reachable frets. I do love having 24 reachable frets. But it is rare that I play the notes above the 20th fret, and my right hand fingers constantly bang on the fretboard while plucking in the sonic sweet spot between the 22nd and 24th frets. So, I wish that the guitar only had 22 frets. Yeah, I'm probably too clumsy, not coordinated enough. I'm trying to adapt by playing a little further back towards the bridge, and also by not digging into the strings quite so much.

I have not played the guitar plugged in enough to offer an opinion of the amplified sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical