The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-30-2013, 04:14 AM

Default Question on Alvarez FCC7103 and Takamine P3FCN

I've narrowed my search down to these two guitars and wondered if anyone here might own or have owned one and can give some comments on either. I'm really interested in the Takamine but wanted to know the actual measurements of the body as it looks kinda big for me. Also, the Alvarez Fusion model is very appealing to me as I've been a Tele player for years and this looks like a easy crossover.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 10:23 AM

Default Alvarez FCF7103

I had an Alvarez FCF7103 for a while - I went through a period where I was trying out a lot of solid body acoustic guitars due tot he volume my band played at.

It was a beautifully made guitar but it sort of missed the mark. Although it was chambered it didn't seem to have any resonance. It didn't need to be as large and heavy as it was. Plugged in the Fishman Aura system seemed to be the only thing giving it some 'transparency' - and that was through digital Mic Modelling. I've played electric guitars with a Piezo pickup that sounded more natural.

Solid body acoustic guitars a weird beast - especially if you want them sound authentically like an acoustic guitar, not just a clean electric. The only thing I have found that come's close is a Guild Peregrine - or a Taylor T5?...

If I were you I'd go for the Takamine.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:47 AM

Default Oops! FCC not FCF

I didn't realize you were measuring up classical guitars! I didn't know Alvarez made a 7103 fusion classical. I just happens I went through an exhaustive search recently for an electric classical as I needed one for a recording - but wanted to find a 'keeper'.

I would avoid slim line classical's at all costs. Classical guitars aren't going to be played in a setting where feedback will be an issue.

MY Criteria was - and yours might be completely different - the two guitars you mentioned wouldn't even appeared on my Radar, I'm not trying to hijack your post, but why those two?

Solid Wood
Pickup
Deep tone unplugged
Under 800$
Not Chinese

After playing countless guitars in Toronto it was a toss up between a used Taylor NS32CE for 799$ and A Takamine EC132SC 725$ - The Taylor is a Hybrid, easier to play, the Tak was more traditional, and, as a part of a colelction a 'Real' classical guitar - Also higher resale value..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical