The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-09-2013, 05:20 PM

Default Yamaha NTX 700

Hi All, Currently I`m playing {Or trying to} learn fingerpicking without my flat pick and dobro fingerpicks on my old Samick LC 025g. Today I played a Yamaha NTX 700 and was amazed with the ease of playing and the balanced sound unplugged in. I was wondering if anyone else has one and can shed some light on how it sounds plugged in to a board {mackie 1201} or any other recording device. The fit and finish on this guitar was Immaculate,they really paid attention to it. I also played some high end Rods and Cordoba`s and they didn`t even compare. The Yamaha is at $450.00 and if anyone has any ideas on it please let me know. And if you have any fingerpicking tips,they will be Greatly Appreciated. My Thanks in Advance!.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:23 AM

They are very good guitars. I own a Yamaha APX6NA which is the predecessor of the NTX - very similar guitar.

I wouldn't want to be without it.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:30 AM

I had one that I never plugged in. The neck didn't suit me, so I traded it to my guitar teacher for some lessons. He wanted it for plugging in. When he tested it, it was through a small amp and it sounded really good. I know that isn't much info but hope it helps you some. I have read reviews where the stated strength of the 700 is plugged in.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 06-24-2013, 03:05 AM

I bought an NTX to play some Latin stuff after hearing "Troubleclef" on Youtube. (Search for him he's great.) It's a really nice guitar but I don't plug it in very often.
This led me on to start playing more fingerstyle and eventually the fingerstyle ended up requiring a steel stringed guitar.
If I wasn't a guitar collector I think now I would be kicking myself for not getting a steel string straight away but it is a good part of my collection as it's part way between the classical and steel. I'm learning some DADGAD stuff which sounds good on the NTX.
And don't forget to check out Rodrigo y Gabriela
Old 06-24-2013, 04:08 AM

Here's mine plugged into a Zoom handheld recorder:

https://soundcloud.com/eric_m/chet-merle-etc

I've done several open mics plugged straight into a variety of mixers, and it always sounds good.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M View Post
Here's mine plugged into a Zoom handheld recorder:

https://soundcloud.com/eric_m/chet-merle-etc

I've done several open mics plugged straight into a variety of mixers, and it always sounds good.
Mighty nice pickin, it made me smile.

Plugged in the NTX sounds like my FPX300N but a little more natural. I've played the NTX a couple times and really liked the amped tone. The ART system in the NTX is better than the piezo/condenser mic combo in the FPX. I think the NTX is well worth the money.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:22 PM

If I didn't have a A/E classical guitar already, I would've bought the Yamaha NTX. I prefer the neck of it compared to my Takamine, but then I'm nowhere close to a classical player either.
I'd definitely recommend it!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

I'm a long-time Yamaha fan and have been interested in the NTX series for some time. When I was in Vegas back in May, I stopped at the Guitar Center south of the Strip and played an NTX700, Cordoba GK Studio, and Cordoba 55FCE (and some other brands that I don't even remember). The fit & finish on the Yamaha seemed flawless, but the Cordobas were VERY much more lively and responsive. That could be because they are flamencos, with light bracing and low action. At least for the stuff I play, I found that I MUCH preferred the Cordobas... which is why one went home with me and three others followed!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:20 AM

Same thing happened to me Johnny. I went to GC to buy the Yamaha and picked up the Cordoba C5ce,plugged them both into an amp. The Cordoba won and I left with it. Funny how that worked out,just a meant to be thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical