The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-11-2010, 05:15 PM

The closest builder I can think of to filling all of the criteria would have been Lance McCollum. Unfortunately he passed away 2 years ago but it might be worthwhile to look for some of his prevoiusly owned guitars. I know that his last guitar was never sold but the family would like to sell it to raise some much needed cash. Here are some pic's I took at Healdsburg in 2009.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:26 PM

Sixkids:

Wow, you have quite a list. As others have said, you really ought to go to something like Hearaldsburg or the recently passed Woodstock, New York gathering.

I am puzzled though. Despite the comprehensive list of requirements, I don't see any comments relating to the type of music you envision playing or any expectations relating to tonal qualities?

I utterly cherish guitars and have a fairly diverse collection of inexpensive and expensive instruments. In developing the collection (with which I am pleased) I had a fairly good idea before purchasing each of them of what I wanted to hear when they are played. I am not so sure a series of wonderful guitars can be achieved through such a list. And, as others have said; you may just miss out on a very special instrument! I really feel a special guitar is more than the sum of certain materials or specific building techniques.

Take the time to have several conversations with several builders

Sincerely,

Scott

Last edited by redcloud; 11-11-2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-11-2010, 06:34 PM

What a great list! I've got observations in 2 categories:

Luthiers: I'd add John Monteleone (who also makes archtops, course, and whose work will be featured in NY's Metropolitan Museum of Art next February), TJ Thompson, Wayne Henderson (OK, he's a mystery man, but he makes great guitars), and Tony Klassen (cool and very good guitars).

Construction. I assume that your specification of a nitro finish is as opposed to poly. But, I certainly would choose varnish over nitro.

In any event, you'll have a wonderful experience with your new guitar.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud View Post
...or the recently passed Woodstock, New York gathering.
That's Woodstock Illinois.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 11-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Three comments:

1) Having attended Healdsburg for the first time in 2009, I can tell you it totally altered my perspective on luthier-built guitars. Before attending, I had spent enough time on this forum to come up with a pretty extensive list of builders who made my heart skip a beat. I absolutely could not wait to get my hands on their guitars.

One thing I learned: It's really difficult to get a meaningful opinion on luthier-built guitars without playing them first-hand. I was disappointed by many who I thought were going to be fantastic and really only blown away by a handful of guitars there.

If I were going to invest as much money as you're ready to lay down, I would attend a guitar show like Healdsburg and play as many as I could get my hands on.

2) If it were me, I would remove design constraints like "dovetail only." I would play as many as I could and choose based on other considerations like playability, sound, responsiveness, etc. I'm not a builder so I don't claim to be the last word, but most of my favorite guitars are bolt-on.

3) Mike Baranik, Michael Bashkin, and Matt Mustapick should be on your list of guitars to play at Healdsburg. They were the stars of the show, as far as my tastes are concerned (though, admittedly, I didn't get to EVERYONE at the show).

Have fun! It's a very enjoyable process.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
No ones opinion is more important than your own, and these threads have a way of becoming polls where folks just name their favorite names, often with little or no experience of the actual builders, let alone the all important relationship from which the instrument actually develops.

It's between you and the builder and involves personal chemistry if you are to come anywhere near realizing the potential in front of you. While email and the information in these forums is not w/o merit, what really works for separating the wheat from the chaff is the telephone. If it is possible follow that up with a visit to workshop.

The differences between the guitars by the top makers are subtle from the perspective of the casual viewer, but are profound to the true aficionado. Before plunking down serious change I would want to have a direct experience of any makers work.
Exactly,

And what Harv said.

Nothing matters, least of all everyone else's opionion, except going and playing these guitars yourself. It may take two or three trips to guitars shows and five or six trips to high end stores. The first guitar show can be little overwhelming.

Opinions arn't worth the ink that is used to write this post.

Recordings are useful. They don't tell you what to buy, but sometimes they can provide a sense of the tonal qualities that you are interested in hearing in person.

Stuart
Old 11-12-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
That's Woodstock Illinois.
Nope..that's Woodstock NY:

http://www.woodstockinvitational.com/

And I've been to Woodstock Illinois..!!

LC
Old 11-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclyman View Post
Nope..that's Woodstock NY:

http://www.woodstockinvitational.com/

And I've been to Woodstock Illinois..!!

LC
I stand corrected...don't know why I thought this was held in the IL Woodstock...?

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop