The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Default Open mic performance, new guitar tone validation

Played another open mic last night and it went very well. We played 5 songs. We usually only get three but host gave us the sign for two more, which he does when he likes what he hears. That felt pretty good. We weren't nervous so that's getting better. I was a little worried about the guitar since this was the first performance with the new (to me) Martin 000-18GE Custom with the K&K installed and I've had some problems on this stage with feedback. I could tell I wasn't going to be able to get much guitar in the monitors because of this so I really couldn't hear the guitar all that well and was just hoping it sounded better out in the audience.

The stage is large and the set up at this particular venue is all pro, high-end stuff with a dedicated soundman as this place hosts bands all the time. We went on early and stayed for a few hours after our performance. As we were leaving I went up to the sound guy and asked him how the guitar sounded, explaining this was the first time I'd used it live and he positively gushed about it saying it was very warm and articulate and just overall incredible in tone, definitely the "best guitar I've mixed tonight." I might invest in a nice Lute Hole sound hole cover for it so I can get a little more guitar in my monitor next time but I was very happy to hear that from him.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:59 AM

Congrats! You've got some great tools to work with there. The Martin 000 and the K&K should indeed sound great. I'd go a +1 on the Lute sound hole cover. They not only knock down some of the feed back, they also look really good. IMHO
Old 11-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

The monitor-sound will tell you zilch about the FoH sound of your guitar. Completely different.

Open Mikes are an absolute lottery regarding sound, IME. Just a case of "Get on there, do your stuff, and live with whatever you get from the sound-man". Are you doing 'proper genuine' gigs, with your own PA? That's the best way to judge how you're sounding.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-20-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
The monitor-sound will tell you zilch about the FoH sound of your guitar. Completely different.

Open Mikes are an absolute lottery regarding sound, IME. Just a case of "Get on there, do your stuff, and live with whatever you get from the sound-man". Are you doing 'proper genuine' gigs, with your own PA? That's the best way to judge how you're sounding.
What jayBee said. OM are tough because your
For the most part locked into a plug and play
Scenario. Nothing worse than a band or soloist
That takes 1/2 hr setup/tear down to play 3 songs.
So having a pickup that sounds good no matter
what it is plugged into is great to have.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Are in-ear monitors an option? If this place is “all pro, high-end”, it might be worth looking into. I don’t know for certain, but it might help with feedback. At the very least, you’ll be able to hear yourself better.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Well, job well done! Not easy to trot out there at an Open Mic... so good on you!

About the monitors and feedback: Next time, try to give yourself a bit of room between where you are and where the monitors are... a little distance can lessen the impact of the monitor's volume and the guitar body... and for goodness sake's, stand so that the monitor is NOT on the same side as your guitar body... that big resonant chamber is just BEGGING to pick up unwanted vibrations!

If the sound guys are "pros", as you say, they should be able to give you acoustic guitar in the monitor mix without feedback issues... especially if you are not playing at extremely high decibel levels...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion