The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Default Is balanced best?

I read quite a bit about the virtues of a 'balanced' acoustic guitar sound. Curious to know folks' opinions, is a balanced voicing a universal positive, or are there times when you prefer a less balanced voicing? Also, relatedly, what is the most balanced guitar you've owned?
Old 11-19-2017, 08:38 PM

Mike, a great deal depends on what sort of music you play, or want to play. Whether you play solo or in a group makes a difference, as well.

As a singer who plays solo gigs as well as performs with others, I've always valued the balanced tonal response of Martin Triple O's and OM's. They have the same volume whether you're at the low end or the high end, and if you play a chord anywhere on the neck you'll hear all the notes equally.

These guitars are just about the easiest acoustic guitars to mic and record, because the sound tech doesn't have to cut the bass response and boost the trebles to be able to get a reasonable stage sound out of them. I learned early on that the less work you make the sound tech do, the better your chances of getting a good stage sound.

But in certain styles of music, the balanced sound of an OM doesn't really work as well as the sound of a square-shouldered Martin-style dreadnought will. Specifically in bluegrass music, you truly need that low end oomph that a Martin dreadnought provides.

If you play a full chord at the 9th fret on a Martin D-28, it's not going to be as tonally balanced as the same chord would be on a Martin 000-28. But the point is moot, because you're not going to be PLAYING a full chord at the 9th fret in traditional Monroe-style bluegrass.

So a huge amount really does depend on the style of music you play.

Hope that makes at least some sense....

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-19-2017, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Not to me it isn't. I definitely prefer a bass biased sound, but I also like an enhanced midrange as well. It really depends, I think, on the type of music you like to play and listen to. Somewhere between the Martin and Gibson voicing for me.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-19-2017, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Wade and Brendan, yes, style of play makes a huge difference.

Brendan, noticed your tag- you've got two great guitars for sale! Too bad on the timing as I bought a Santa Cruz OMG a few months back, and just a week ago picked up a D-18. Great guitars, I imagine they will go quick!!
Old 11-19-2017, 08:57 PM

It's a totally personal decision and there is no right or wrong. What you prefer will dictate the sound you want to create. I think a guitar should be balanced but whether you prefer a bias towards bass, treble or ........... only your ears will tell you. I have several guitars that all sound different with different characteristics for different purposes (playing live, playing plugged, acoustically, at home, in the studio) no two are the same, no one is the favorite and all are great.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Thanks partner. Yeah, just tweaking the lineup a little bit. I like to try new things periodically. Congrats on your new D-18 !

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-19-2017, 09:05 PM

Larrivees are known for their balance. Jean Larrivee came up with his own bracing pattern and found that his symmetrical bracing produces a very balanced sounding guitar. Many players (myself included) find the balanced sound to be perfect for a variety of playing styles.
I just recorded this tune on my D10. It is a dreadnought guitar, but sounds great finger style because the bass does not overpower the mids and trebles.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan/on-eagles-wings
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

Last edited by 247hoopsfan; 11-19-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:10 PM

I agree with what Wade said - and I'll add that guitars generally can be pretty thin sounding instruments when compared with the tonal range many of us expect from notes down to E below the bass clef.
So from me, no - balanced is only one option, which has its uses.

Good bass doesn't mean muddy or boomy, and a guitar without it actually sounds unbalanced to me - just to throw in an another perspective.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:16 PM

IMO, balanced is never a bad thing. I prefer it. It makes musical sense to have it.

It's pleasing to the ear.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:22 PM

Truly there is no right or wrong, strictly depends on the kind of music you play.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:04 PM

Default balance

For most music, balanced is best. Wade pointed out the exception in bluegrass and there are others as well. If I was doing a lot of neat leads in the upper registers, maybe I'd want something treble-heavy. If you are just singing with it, stronger mids may help.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
I read quite a bit about the virtues of a 'balanced' acoustic guitar sound. Curious to know folks' opinions, is a balanced voicing a universal positive, or are there times when you prefer a less balanced voicing? Also, relatedly, what is the most balanced guitar you've owned?
It's an interesting question. Currently, the two most "balanced" guitars I have are a Larrivee OM-40 with moon spruce over mahogany, and a Northwood MJ-70 with Englemann spruce over mahogany. As others have said, it depends completely on what kind of music you play. Rosewood B&S tends to give a bit more bass and overtones IMO. Your ears will tell you what sounds right for you.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:45 AM

If you like it the most then it's the best. Otherwise it isn't.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:00 AM
Charter Member

I’ll put a slightly different angle on Wade’s post.

To some extent the answer to your question is in the sound “opening” that you are wanting to fill. It differs depending on whether you are a fingerstyle guitarist where your guitars sound is 100% of what people hear, a singer/guitar player (50%), or a member of a folk/bluegrass/rock band (20%?).

Years ago I went to a master class by Steve Morse (Deep Purple) where he explained why his sound in the band was completely different to playing solo. He noted that in the band he needed to fit in with, and complement, the bass, keyboard and vocals. I think that the same logic applies to acoustic guitar.

Col
Old 11-20-2017, 04:45 AM

Funny you should bring this up. My Pono Dread is what I consider a very balanced guitar, especially when compared to say a D18. I think the player can adjust response to a bottom heavy guitar with technique. Obviously, the tonal differences are still present, but they can be modified.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion