The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 07:55 PM

Default Best Strings For Taylor 514CE FM Limited

First, I wanted to thank everyone who chimed in and gave me advice on another thread that I started. That thread was which guitar should I keep a Martin D18 or athe Taylor 514CE-FM Limited. At the time I felt for personal reasons I could only keep one. The Martin I have owned for 3 years and it has been my go to acoustic guitar. The Taylor came up for sale and I contemplated selling the Martin. Well I ended up just getting the Taylor and kept the Martin...so much for GAS!

Anyway, I have never been a Taylor person and have always thought them to be too bright and to Vanilla sounding. However, ever since Andy Powers revoiced Taylors they have been on my radar and I have wanted one.

Now that I own this Taylor the string experimentation begins. The guitar is used and currently strung with D'addario 12s uncoated. According to the Taylor site they use Elixir Phosphor Bronze HD Light. I have never been a fan of Elixirs but then again I thought I would never get a Taylor. In any event what strings have Taylor 514CE owners used? I like a warm tone and I am not into bright pingy sounds...and actually like the sound of not dead strings but "worn" and warm sound. On my D18 I use Monels or D'addario Phosphor Bronze.

The current strings sound fine but I want to experiment

Here is what the guitar with current strings sound

https://youtu.be/nahi2WyYAlM
Old 11-19-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantgreen42 View Post
...The current strings sound fine but I want to experiment...
And that's how you find what's best for you. Grab some Martin, Elixir, D'Addario, JPearse, maybe a set of Curt Mangan... and have at it. Once you know which of these you prefer, get a couple more and keep up the experiment. Hopefully you'll find what makes your Taylor sound best to you.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:09 PM

I have tried all of those on prior guitars except Curt Magnan...never even heard of them before. What is their tonal qualities?
Old 11-19-2017, 09:28 PM

I try them all - on every guitar. No two brands, models or guitars will be complimented the same by the same strings. Even among brands, like Curt Mangan, each of his strings are a bit different and need to be experienced.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:51 PM

I like bright and aggressive, and I've recently changed to EB Aluminium Bronze after decades of John Pearse Phos Bronze. Aluminium bronze is very corrosion resistant, so they last a long time.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:08 PM

I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest a set of Martin Titaniums for that guitar.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-20-2017, 02:19 AM

Given your taste for warm sounding strings maybe give the Thomastik Spectrums a try - I like these very much on my OM.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 11-20-2017, 04:09 AM

Try GHS Phosphor Bronze and John Pearse 600L
Old 11-20-2017, 07:41 AM

The question of which strings are best with my ________, is more far fetched (to me) than going into the woods looking for Bigfoot. Save the testimonials, I’ve played guitar for over 40 yrs., have owned all types of guitars and have heard numerous guitar fables, including this one.

A great guitar will be great with any premium string, that’s why there are so many choices, it’s not a narrow field. If it took a certain brand, there would be only a few to choose from. If you own a guitar that doesn’t sound good with nearly every brand of string on the market, sell it.

There’s my tip of the day. YMMV.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-20-2017, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The current strings sound fine but I want to experiment
Responding to the description of your preferred tone, I was going to suggest Monels. I see you are already familiar with them, they might be worth a try on your Taylor. Happy Hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
A great guitar will be great with any premium string, that’s why there are so many choices, it’s not a narrow field. If it took a certain brand, there would be only a few to choose from. If you own a guitar that doesn’t sound good with nearly every brand of string on the market, sell it.
There’s my tip of the day. YMMV.
The OP wasn't asking about strings that would turn a guitar he doesn't like into one he does. Surely you don't believe all "premium" strings sound the same on your favorite guitar. I developed quite a fondness for Phosphor Bronze lights on my McCollum GA. You're welcome

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-20-2017, 09:20 AM

Yes...I love this guitar and I am not trying to turn it into my Dread "monel" sound. I want to go directionally sound wise where the strength of the guitar is. This Taylor is filled with crispness and clarity without lacking warmth. For all I know I may like Elixirs on them will try and see what works best just curious people's opinions.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes...I love this guitar and I am not trying to turn it into my Dread "monel" sound. I want to go directionally sound wise where the strength of the guitar is. This Taylor is filled with crispness and clarity without lacking warmth. For all I know I may like Elixirs on them will try and see what works best just curious people's opinions.
I tried and then swore off the Elixir poly strings when they first came out. 20+ years later I bought a guitar that came strung up with Nanos and I was pleasantly surprised. I have one guitar where they are my favorites, they're certainly worth a try.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-20-2017, 10:42 AM

Yeah.
What they all said.
Enjoy the experimentation and congrats on 2 really awesome guitars!
I have the QS version of that Fall Limited and I have only owned it about 18 months now but I can already tell that it will likely be a lifer.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:06 AM

I always used daddarrio ej 17 on my 514ce
Old 11-20-2017, 02:10 PM

On a similiar voiced guitar in a Furch SM dread my buddy has the nickel bronze do a great job!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion