The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 09:53 AM

The formica pattern on the back and sides does look sort of fake, but it's pretty nice in practice. It won't crack (unless you drop it and even then it's unlikely to crack), it doesn't move in humidity changes, etc. They still sound like a nice Martin guitar, a little different sure, but the house sound is there.

My biggest issue with the X series is they're too darn expensive for what they are in my opinion. What gets me is they have the gaul to charge more for a Koa patterned HPL guitar even though it's just a photograph on the surface - the actual guitar is exactly the same.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:56 AM

hi there, i bought a 000x1 in March, got it off internet without playing it first, all excited, im getting a "Martin" cant wait to get it, i know its laminate and all that,so i kinda knew what i was getting but i get it in and had instant buyers remorse, hate the bridge and the finger board material, they look like black plastic, fake wood look-alike sticker over the HPL looks pretty shady, no dots on the face of the fingerboard, im thinking this is not even a real Martin, im not gonna warm up to this thing, this thing sucks, but returning it is gonna be a pain sooo...

fast forward 8 months and it has come around nicely, the thing sounds great, the size is perfect, the HPL and whatever they make the fingerboard out of does not bother me at all, it is what it is, its a $500 guitar and at my skill level i need nothing more (lol ya right!!)
but anyways, im glad i kept it, the way i look at it, no matter what guitar you have at any price point, there will always be one out there that sounds better, plays better, looks better, etc. Go with what ya got and have fun with it!!
Old 11-20-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz-s View Post

My biggest issue with the X series is they're too darn expensive for what they are in my opinion. What gets me is they have the gaul to charge more for a Koa patterned HPL guitar even though it's just a photograph on the surface - the actual guitar is exactly the same.
Per the website, the DXK2AE in Macassar with a saepele top is 50 bucks more than the same guitar in Koa, which is all HPL. The DX1AE is Koa patterned HPL but with a sitka top and is the same price as the DXK2AE.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 11-20-2017, 02:20 PM

I have never owned an X series Martin, but I have played several and was always favorably impressed with their tone. IMHO, if you like the sound and feel of the guitar, Keep it and enjoy it.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
Per the website, the DXK2AE in Macassar with a saepele top is 50 bucks more than the same guitar in Koa, which is all HPL. The DX1AE is Koa patterned HPL but with a sitka top and is the same price as the DXK2AE.
Thanks for the correction. I could have sworn that I looked at X series guitars in the past and saw a Koa patterned guitar was more expensive than an otherwise identical Mahogany patterned guitar. Either I dreamt it up or it's not an issue anymore.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:41 PM

I have a Martin 0001xAE and a Seagull mini jumbo. I love them both. This can and has gone every which way from an opinion perspective. Best advice, if you like it, keep it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion