The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 07:26 AM

Default Guitar purchase -- should I return??

I recently purchased a Martin X-series GPCX2AE Macassar Grand Performance Acoustic-Electric Guitar. I have been taking lessons on and off for a couple of years, and was ready to move up from a beginner Yamaha cheap thing we bought for our daughter several years ago. This is just a hobby for me, but I am serious about trying to get better at my playing.

I LOVE the sound and size of it, and the big dreadnought guitars strain my right shoulder. However, I now realize the sides and back are compressed wood, and look kind of fakey. I was torn between the Martin and a Seagull Maritime at the time I purchased. I can return it, it's not too late, my price point was between $700.00 and $1000.00. Should I keep the Martin, or go back and get the Seagull or even another fingerstyle guitar within that price point. I aspire to be a really good folk accompanist so this is an investment for me....if the Martin is considered a bad purchase I'd appreciate any feedback from seasoned guitar players. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMing View Post
I recently purchased a Martin X-series GPCX2AE Macassar Grand Performance Acoustic-Electric Guitar. I have been taking lessons on and off for a couple of years, and was ready to move up from a beginner Yamaha cheap thing we bought for our daughter several years ago. This is just a hobby for me, but I am serious about trying to get better at my playing.

I LOVE the sound and size of it, and the big dreadnought guitars strain my right shoulder. However, I now realize the sides and back are compressed wood, and look kind of fakey. I was torn between the Martin and a Seagull Maritime at the time I purchased. I can return it, it's not too late, my price point was between $700.00 and $1000.00. Should I keep the Martin, or go back and get the Seagull or even another fingerstyle guitar within that price point. I aspire to be a really good folk accompanist so this is an investment for me....if the Martin is considered a bad purchase I'd appreciate any feedback from seasoned guitar players. Thanks.
"I Love the sound and size of it" that pretty much sums it up for me. So what if it is laminated? In the price range you bought it, depreciation is really not an issue. You got the guitar that spoke to you. I'd focus on your playing for now because not matter what you have at the present you'll want something different down the road anyway just because.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:09 AM

Me, personally.... I'd return it. It's not even laminated wood...it's some other material which is then covered with a printed finish to look like wood. If I had only realized that after buying it, I know I'd never bond with the guitar. Call me a guitar snob if you want but life's too short for HPL guitars, imo.

There are plenty of excellent guitars out there for that kind of money... and even more when you go used. Have fun in your search and don't believe you can't get a real, solid wood guitar for that $750 -$1000.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 11-17-2017, 08:16 AM

If I was you I would return the guitar. Musicians friend actually has the Martin custom D on sale right now for 880 bucks. It is an all solid wood guitar, solid Sitka spruce top. solid mahogany back and sides. This is a really great sounding guitar. I have played one before and they are really nice guitars. They say on their web site that they wont get any more in until Nov. 11. If you don't mind waiting a little bit I don't think you will be sorry. These are made right here in the Pa. factory. They are made exclusively for M. friend and guitar center. Go to M. friend and read the reviews on this guitar. They are spot on. What ever you decide to do let us know. The guitar does have a satin finish. Don't know if that would be a deal breaker. I totally agree with swamp Yankee and if you need a pick up in the guitar, have a K&K pure mini installed. I have one in my Martin custom MMV and it is one of the best sounding pick ups I have ever heard. They are only 100 bucks. If you cant find one in your area Mass street music in Lawrence Ks. carries them. Anyway let us know what you decide to do.

Last edited by baw3; 11-17-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
If I was you I would return the guitar. Musicians friend actually has the Martin custom D on sale right now for 880 bucks. It is an all solid wood guitar, solid Sitka spruce top. solid mahogany back and sides. This is a really great sounding guitar. I have played one before and they are really nice guitars. They say on their web site that they wont get any more in until Nov. 11. If you don't mind waiting a little bit I don't think you will be sorry. These are made right here in the Pa. factory. They are made exclusively for M. friend and guitar center. Go to M. friend and read the reviews on this guitar. They are spot on. What ever you decide to do let us know. The guitar does have a satin finish. Don't know if that would be a deal breaker.
I was thinking of this same guitar, but I believe the OP said dreads were too big.
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Kolohe concert ukulele
Old 11-17-2017, 08:28 AM

Thanks all! I appreciate the feedback so far!
Old 11-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Josh: First of all, welcome to Acoustic Guitar Forum. If you love the sound and size of the guitar you've got and you're asking strangers for advice on whether to replace it, that tells me a couple of things. Most important, it tells me that you're not familiar with what else might be available and be a better choice for you. However, it also tells me that you've got the right guitar at this point in your learning curve. There's nothing wrong with a guitar with laminated sides since the top is generally thought to be the key ingredient in producing sound. Many of us have auditioned a lot of frogs before finding that prince (or princes) of guitars that we feel is just right. You'll save yourself a lot of time, money and aggravation by keeping what you've got and formulating a better idea as to what your dream guitar is at some future point in your learning curve....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-17-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:46 AM

Default Return?

You pay a lot for the Martin decal on the headstock, IMHO.

There are lots of good sounding guitars in that price range. I would play everything you can find and not care what name is on it. Find the one that sounds and plays the way you want.

Seagull makes a great product in that price range.

If you play mostly fingerstyle you might want to consider a wider nut width. Just a suggestion.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 11-17-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Josh: First of all, welcome to Acoustic Guitar Forum. If you love the sound and size of the guitar you've got and you're asking strangers for advice on whether to replace it, that tells me a couple of things. Most important, it tells me that you're not familiar with what else might be available and be a better choice for you. However, it also tells me that you've got the right guitar at this point in your learning curve. There's nothing wrong with a guitar with laminated sides since the top is generally thought to be the key ingredient in producing sound. Many of us have auditioned a lot of frogs before finding that prince (or princes) of guitars that we feel is just right.
Agree. You can find yourself chasing a lot of rabbit holes before you realize your spending all your time just doing that. Yes, you could get that Eastman or Yamaha, etc for the same price now or you can do it later.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:

I LOVE the sound and size of it, and the big dreadnought guitars strain my right shoulder. However, I now realize the sides and back are compressed wood, and look kind of fakey.
Hey and welcome!

I have no experience with that model Martin..

But to me sound and playability outweigh looks.

With that said, if this is a guitar you will have for years and years...
Then I suggest you get the one that offers you everything!

Sound, playability and Looks!
Don't settle and keep one you feel "looks fakey"..

Hope this helps!
Old 11-17-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:

I agree with other replies. If the sound and feel is great, and what you want, keep it. Yes, there are other guitars out there in the same price range that have other features....but there will always be. As much as I find myself wanting to play all solid guitars, as much as I do I always fall in love with my solidntop and laminate b/s Norman. It just sounds right and feels great while I play it. You could return it and get a guitar which has features you think will make it better, but if you have a guitar that you already enjoy the sound and feel of to menyou have won the battle and have what you need. I’ve sold many guitars for ones that had “better” features and there’s several I wish I hadn’t. Just my opinion, take it or leave it.
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 11-17-2017, 09:26 AM

If you like it, keep it and enjoy it and have fun learning to play. You can try something different for your next guitar. (And yes--there will be a "next" guitar).
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 11-17-2017, 10:36 AM

I'd probably return it. I'm a newb, I love sound, I love learning to play, BUT that's not the entire experience, for me. I also love looking at a well-made guitar, every time I pick it up, so aesthetics play a role for me, and, it seems, to the OP. Every time he picks it up, "fakey looks" will come to mind, undercutting the other positives provided (sound/size).

If he wants Martin, and he wants dread, in his place I'd return the one he's got and get that MF Martin dread that was recommended, and I'd do it quick.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I'd probably return it. I'm a newb, I love sound, I love learning to play, BUT that's not the entire experience, for me. I also love looking at a well-made guitar, every time I pick it up, so aesthetics play a role for me, and, it seems, to the OP. Every time he picks it up, "fakey looks" will come to mind, undercutting the other positives provided (sound/size).
That's my feeling. I can only go by how I'd react, and I know if I bought a guitar assuming it was made of wood and later found it was wood particles bound under high pressure with who knows what applied to it and printed to look like wood, I'd never grow an attachment to that guitar and always regret that I didn't return it when I could.

It would be a much different story if I already had experience and I already owned other guitars and chose the HPL Martin for its durability - fully well knowing what it was made of.
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Kolohe concert ukulele
Old 11-17-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
If you like it, keep it and enjoy it and have fun learning to play. You can try something different for your next guitar. (And yes--there will be a "next" guitar).

Enjoy it. I play my Little Martin (HPL) all the time when I want a Martin sound. I owned 2 solid Martins that I sold (just too big and did not like the sound).

Enjoying the feel is what keeps me motivated to practice daily. And the practice is what really counts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion