The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 09:52 AM

Default I want to rock your gypsy soul

I wrote another post here about Van Morrison's singing Into the Mystic, the video I watched recently on YouTube, a live studio performance from maybe about 1972.

I love watching and hearing this piece, having just discovered Van can play as well as sing.

Just to see if someone else can match the vibe, I spent time panning through YouTube videos of others covering this song, fast forwarding to the "I want to rock your gypsy soul" line.

No one can do Van. No one I saw on the YouTube vids could do it, not even Joe Cocker.

But there are many singers, women and men, that could do that line with the power and projection Van Morrison uses. They just did not do a cover of the song.

Remember the great movie The Commitments? The guy from that film, the one who did Otis Reading as good as Otis, he could do this line from Into the Mystic and match Van.

Me? I just enjoy playing along with the video, strumming my six string. Let Van sing it.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 11-20-2017, 10:10 AM

If you can find the Moondance album, there are recordings of 17 takes of Into The Mystic on disc 3. I love the song as well. Great bass line. Fun to play on acoustic.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 11-20-2017, 10:19 AM

There are certain songs that just shouldn't be covered, because the original is completely perfect. Into the Mystic is one of those.

When the horns come in. Just kills me, every time.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The guy from that film, the one who did Otis Reading as good as Otis

No. Just like Van, Otis has no equal.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

This is a very special song in our family. One of my daughters and her husband chose for the first dance at her wedding.

As a little girl she thought it was about sailing into Mystic, Connecticut!

I like the video of the Allman Brothers with Warren Haynes on the vocal, although I would have really liked to hear Greg sing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOwBDlcasZ8
Old 11-20-2017, 10:41 AM

We have a local woman that (at least 10 years ago
when I heard her do it at an open mic) can nail
this tune.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:12 PM

https://youtu.be/rq53NkUZAT0
Old 11-20-2017, 06:56 PM

Van is Van. Amazing. Just amazing voice.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:37 PM

Wonderful song. Warren Haynes does a great cover of it. Check it out!
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 11-20-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
I wrote another post here about Van Morrison's singing Into the Mystic, the video I watched recently on YouTube, a live studio performance from maybe about 1972.

I love watching and hearing this piece, having just discovered Van can play as well as sing.

Just to see if someone else can match the vibe, I spent time panning through YouTube videos of others covering this song, fast forwarding to the "I want to rock your gypsy soul" line.

No one can do Van. No one I saw on the YouTube vids could do it, not even Joe Cocker.

But there are many singers, women and men, that could do that line with the power and projection Van Morrison uses. They just did not do a cover of the song.

Remember the great movie The Commitments? The guy from that film, the one who did Otis Reading as good as Otis, he could do this line from Into the Mystic and match Van.

Me? I just enjoy playing along with the video, strumming my six string. Let Van sing it.
Such a great artist. Great singer and songwriter and as you have pointed out, a great player too.

I think Brown Eyed Girl was the first song I managed to play and sing in-time well enough to perform start to finish for an audience. It was one of the first songs I played at an open mic (not realizing at the time how cliche this song is for open mics) and I still love to play it when I'm just noodling with friends.

Every time I hear Van Morrison's original recording I'm mesmerized beginning to end and it does make me want to stop performing my version of it in front of others because his version is just so untouchable. All his songs are like that. I've never heard a Van Morrison cover by anyone that I thought was better than the original.

Every great once in a while a band might come close... Counting Crows do a pretty good cover or Caravan, but that's one of the few I find tolerable.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 11-20-2017, 08:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

As they say, "Van's the man." Nobody like him.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

... funny, I thought that the guy in "The Commitments" didn't do all that great a job with Otis Redding... if you think he did, go back and listen to "Otis at the Monterey Pop Festival"; in the newer releases of that movie, they actually have a separate disc with much of Otis' set in the festival, along with Jimi Hendrix's entire set... Otis was a FORCE OF NATURE!!!

But, as for Van... naw... no one can touch him, either... that's one reason I usually change the arrangement of the tunes of his that I do, instead of attempting to copy his version... and failing miserably!

I believe that the guitar solo to "Gloria" was one of the very first guitar solos I ever learned/tried to play... I still enjoy much of his music with Them; their version of "Baby, Please Don't Go" is one of the few that doesn't pale in comparison to the originals... "Here Comes The Night" is STILL a terrific song!

As much as I love Van's more "Pop-y" songs, I REALLY love it when he goes into that Celtic-trance type stuff... "Astral Weeks" is one of my favorite records to this day...

I just can't say enough about Mr. Van Morrison... I remember, in the 80's when Van didn't have a record label; he'd been dropped by Warner/Reprise... I recall thinking that the music business was SERIOUSLY messed up when Van Morrison couldn't get a contract with a major label...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-20-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post

You've done it. Now I've gotta play along with it before I turn in for the night.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:23 PM

you've never heard him project like he's really capable of unless you've worked for him, lol
Old 11-21-2017, 12:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
... funny, I thought that the guy in "The Commitments" didn't do all that great a job with Otis Redding... if you think he did, go back and listen to "Otis at the Monterey Pop Festival"; in the newer releases of that movie, they actually have a separate disc with much of Otis' set in the festival, along with Jimi Hendrix's entire set... Otis was a FORCE OF NATURE!!!

But, as for Van... naw... no one can touch him, either... that's one reason I usually change the arrangement of the tunes of his that I do, instead of attempting to copy his version... and failing miserably!

I believe that the guitar solo to "Gloria" was one of the very first guitar solos I ever learned/tried to play... I still enjoy much of his music with Them; their version of "Baby, Please Don't Go" is one of the few that doesn't pale in comparison to the originals... "Here Comes The Night" is STILL a terrific song!

As much as I love Van's more "Pop-y" songs, I REALLY love it when he goes into that Celtic-trance type stuff... "Astral Weeks" is one of my favorite records to this day...

I just can't say enough about Mr. Van Morrison... I remember, in the 80's when Van didn't have a record label; he'd been dropped by Warner/Reprise... I recall thinking that the music business was SERIOUSLY messed up when Van Morrison couldn't get a contract with a major label...
Jseth, love this man. However, he was known for being very mercurial and EXTREMELY hard to work with, both in the studio and on the road. He sometimes walked off the stage in the middle of a show -- and didn't come back. I don't like dissing people, but I've heard this from a great many people.

This takes nothing away from his amazing songwriter, voice and soul, but it may explain why he did not become as big as he might have wanted to.

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion