The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-24-2015, 07:39 PM

Default Pono Li'i 40SP - my take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
I'm not a 100% not having compared both in person. I'm told the L-40 is a little brighter and snappy.
On such a small guitar I opted for a little extra warmth.
In reality I don't think there's a lot in it. Tone wise I'm sure you can hear a difference A/B. I'd suspect though both sound equally fantastic in their own way and the difference is probably subtle. There's probably a lot more in the look then in sound difference.

Ask John he'll be totally upfront and has more experience then anyone here. He won't try and up sell you, he'll just tell you what's what.
[emoji106]🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Mischief,

I have not A/B the L30 vs L40 either. However, I am very impressed with my L40 in that it has both clarity and plenty of warmth (overtones), and the treble and the bass are well-balanced. My L40 SP is a little over half year old, and I am very pleased with the way it has opened up...

Pip
Old 05-19-2016, 07:55 PM

Default Pono parlor OP 20DC(S)

Hi, I just listed a Pono parlor that I picked up in Hawaii in January. I bought 2 and decided on the one I'm keeping, the OP10 in Acacia, not as bright and no cutaway but better suited for what I do. Let me know if you are interested, thanks. KennyLee
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=430374
Old 11-18-2017, 01:33 PM

Southern Ukulele Store in Bournemouth sometimes have them in stock

http://www.southernukulelestore.co.u...with-hard-case

There's a Pono 12 string for sale on eBay - no connection. Looks good, but I don't get on with 12 strings
MM Blues resonator
Seagull S6 Original
Old 11-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustNeverSleeps View Post
Silly Moustache, I have a Pono parlour, cedar top with acacia back and sides, I believe it's the OP-10D. I'll be back in the UK from 12 September and would be happy to let you play it for yourself if you're ever in London.

I use it as a travel guitar, possibly even what some here would call a "beater" - I take it out to the park or wherever and pass it round... Most people want to test it out!

The body feels quite deep and the scale length quite short. Sound-wise it is sweet and surprisingly full, especially tuned half a step down which is where I keep it. I bought on the recommendations of paul zoom (?), a poster here, and haven't regretted my decision.

John at Pono was very good to deal with and the attention to detail was a nice touch (nice inlay work, Pono tuners, lightweight but solid enough case, polishing cloth etc.). In fact, I turned to Pono again only yesterday to look at a potential ukelele purchase.

I may be wrong, but I think all sales are made directly through Pono, so there are no UK distributors. Given the lack of publicity and knowledge about the brand, as well as the shipping and import fees to the UK, you might not see such a great return on any resale.. but in my experience they're nice little guitars that you won't want to part with. Oh, really great set-up on arrival, too.

I also have the OP - 10 DC (Deluxe Cutaway) parlor in the same tone woods. Scale length is 24.75” on mine. Very well made, comfortable to play and good tone. Not boxy like some parlors. I also use mine as a travel guitar. Ponos are a great value in my opinion.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

FYI- John posted a couple models for an end of the year sale in the marketplace, if you're on the fence - at those prices it's definitely worth it.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:40 PM

My Pono SS Dread is simply awesome. I never get tired of playing it.
That is saying a lot for me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-19-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
My Pono SS Dread is simply awesome. I never get tired of playing it.
That is saying a lot for me.
I am enjoying my Pono DS20 (12 fret Dread with slotted head, long scale) a lot, too.

However, my favorite Pono at this time is the C-OM 30 (Indian rosewood-sitka OM). I feel that with this OM design, John has modified the Pono voicing (which some members here perceived as more "Gibson-esque" in previous models) to a more contemporary "fingerstyle" sound. May be not easy to convey the feel without making reference to sound traits of some specific luthiers / makers though...

A new incarnation Pono OM in Mahogany-Sitka spruce is in the pipeline and should be intriguing (John has apparently decided to stop making Pono guitars with rosewood back/sides due to CITES 2017).

Pp
Old 11-19-2017, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

I had one (a DS30) and do not want another one. Heavy, over braced, etc.

Ron
Old 11-19-2017, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

I have a Pono parlor 12 string w/ mahogany B&S. When I was looking for a 12 and couldn't go w/ an entry level Taylor due to size the Pono sale popped up and I went for one.

Mine's a keeper. Very good construction, very playable, great size, fills all my 12 string desires. I see John has one for sale in the Classifieds.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:54 AM

Hmmmm.
My DS 20 doesn't fit that description.
I don't doubt you but I don't find that to be the case from other Pono owners I have chatted with.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-19-2017, 05:13 PM

Default Pono C-OM 30 sound sample...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin View Post

However, my favorite Pono at this time is the C-OM 30 (Indian rosewood-sitka OM). I feel that with this OM design, John has modified the Pono voicing (which some members here perceived as more "Gibson-esque" in previous models) to a more contemporary "fingerstyle" sound. May be not easy to convey the feel without making reference to sound traits of some specific luthiers / makers though...

Pp
Quote:
Hmmmm.
My DS 20 doesn't fit that description.
I don't doubt you but I don't find that to be the case from other Pono owners I have chatted with.
Hi Jamie,

I don't agree with what I've written there, either! (regarding the "Gibsonesque" bit...if that's what you're referring to; but I don't have much experience with good Gibson acoustics ).

I have attached a recording I made a short while ago (with my basic Behringer gears and Audacity) in attempt to better convey what I referred as the "contemporary" fingerstyle sound of my Pono C-OM30. As always, no equalization, compression or any other effects were used. Hopefully this would better illustrate the tone of my Pono C-OM than what I've written.

Pp

Last edited by Pippin; 11-20-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:55 PM

Does anyone know where to find specs for all the models? Their site, I hate to say, is nearly useless for guitars:

http://koolauukulele.com/pono-guitar/
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 11-20-2017, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Hi Jamie,

I don't agree with what I've written there, too! (regarding the "Gibsonesque" bit...if that's what you're referring to; but I don't have much experience with good Gibson acoustics ).

I have attached a recording I made a short while ago (with my basic Behringer gears and Audacity) in attempt to better convey what I referred as the "contemporary" fingerstyle sound of my Pono C-OM30. As always, no equalization, compression or any other effects were used. Hopefully this would better illustrate the tone of my Pono C-OM than what I've written.

Pp

Hi Pip,
Nice recording and playing! Your OM sounds sweet.
As is usually the case with me I am not as specific as I should be.
I was mainly referring to my SS Dread as being Gibson-esque.
As mine has opened up, even more so. It definitely has a J15 vibe or a J-something vibe.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-23-2017, 12:25 AM

Default new recording gear GAS!?

Quote:
Hi Pip,
Nice recording and playing! Your OM sounds sweet.
As is usually the case with me I am not as specific as I should be.
I was mainly referring to my SS Dread as being Gibson-esque.
As mine has opened up, even more so. It definitely has a J15 vibe or a J-something vibe.
Hi Jamie,

Thanks! I am increasingly disappointed with the recorded sound versus the live sound, but I guess this is not unexpected given the very basic quality of my recording gears. On the other hand I am not sure if better equipment will translate into better results (may be even the opposite since more player's ie. my shortcomings are being captured and exposed).

Anyway, I am ready to move on to a Focusrite Scarlette pre-amp platform, and with the Australian Amazon just launching today, I may soon get a new pair of microphones (Rode M5 or Audio Technica 2020).

I wonder how your SS (I presume stands for short scale) Pono D compares with the usual long scale specimens...

Pp
Old 11-23-2017, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Jamie,

Thanks! I am increasingly disappointed with the recorded sound versus the live sound, but I guess this is not unexpected given the very basic quality of my recording gears. On the other hand I am not sure if better equipment will translate into better results (may be even the opposite since more player's ie. my shortcomings are being captured and exposed).

Anyway, I am ready to move on to a Focusrite Scarlette pre-amp platform, and with the Australian Amazon just launching today, I may soon get a new pair of microphones (Rode M5 or Audio Technica 2020).

I wonder how your SS (I presume stands for short scale) Pono D compares with the usual long scale specimens...

Pp
I've had better recording results using a large condenser off to the left (and down- below the height of the headstock, inline with the fretboard) and a small condenser at about 45 degrees off the lower bout.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion