The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-16-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
A Torpedo Captor is (I think) under $300. The Suhr Reactive load is about $400.

You can make your own reactive load with a handful of parts for much less - probably with better quality components too.

What I like about this option is that it captures the full flavour of the amp from input stage to output transformer. Add a good (convolution) cab sim and you can get some great tones.

I’ve built some super simple pedals....I wish I was better and felt comfortable putting something like that together. I’m sure I could do it for half the price!
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 10-16-2017, 08:27 PM

Hey All,

I have the micro terror through 8 inch Orange speaker and I love it and use it when I'm not on my vox amplug. I really want to try the vox mv50. The micro terror easily powers a 4x12 with window shaking power. But no effects so pedal city if you want that flexibility. Good luck finding what suits you.

-Ed-

from Blaine Larsen's Song "If Merle Would Sing My Song"
Old 10-16-2017, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisStarlight View Post

I would have considered the Vox more (I would still love the AC4TV with the attenuator).....but at $100 I couldn't find any Vox in that range. Though they are all tube, whereas the Orange is a hybrid. We will see how it sounds! My eyes are still watching for a good deal on the AC4....
I thought getting mine for less than that was a steal (new).

Good luck with the Orange.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:45 AM

I run my micro terror into a 1x12 cab. It is an awesome little setup, I only wish it had built in reverb. I think you will love it. You can not do much better at the price point.

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6
Old 10-17-2017, 01:29 PM

Does anyone have a formula for improving the sound of the Fender Vaporizer?
I searched extensively on line, but none of the random suggestions made a difference.
I've swapped some of the original power tubes and the 12x-87's and EL-4's, no improvement. Hooked to a better speaker, no change either. Any suggestions? Amp has been sitting idle for 18 months.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Does anyone have a formula for improving the sound of the Fender Vaporizer?
I searched extensively on line, but none of the random suggestions made a difference.
I've swapped some of the original power tubes and the 12x-87's and EL-4's, no improvement. Hooked to a better speaker, no change either. Any suggestions? Amp has been sitting idle for 18 months.
What are you try My to change exactly/what don’t you like about it?

Swapping the 12ax7 tubes for a 12at7 or 12au7 will give you a little more clean headroom. A lot of it is trial and error.

Is the vaporizer the 10” speaker version? I can’t remember...if you really hate it just send it to me 😭
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 10-17-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I’ve built some super simple pedals....I wish I was better and felt comfortable putting something like that together. I’m sure I could do it for half the price!
If you've built some pedals you could definitely build this:

This is based on the Aiken reactive load paper.

My first attempt at putting it all together:

The components are mostly pretty cheap - but to avoid losing all the dynamics & responsiveness you need a high quality 10mh inductor (about $60) and a very low ESR 200u capacitor (although I cut the cost with a series-parallel array of cheaper caps as you can see here). I'm fairly sure the commercial reactive loads do not use high quality inductors like this.

Let me know if you do decide to try building one since there are some more component specs I'll need to tell you about.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:41 PM

So it arrived today! I just got done trying it out for about an hour. It took me about 20 minutes to get a tone dialed in just how I wanted it, but once I did it sang through even headphones with my Ric. As I had read on many posts about this amp, your guitars volume and tone actually make the biggest difference in tone I thought. I should note, I say this knowing what I expected out of headphones and not a speaker cabinet (tomorrow I will test it out on the 1x12 and I expect it will sound worlds better), but considering I only used it as a headphone amp I actually got tones that inspired me to play. So, all in all I think the Micro Terror was well worth it. I’ll post some audio clips in the next couple days.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 10-19-2017, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So it arrived today! I just got done trying it out for about an hour. It took me about 20 minutes to get a tone dialed in just how I wanted it, but once I did it sang through even headphones with my Ric. As I had read on many posts about this amp, your guitars volume and tone actually make the biggest difference in tone I thought. I should note, I say this knowing what I expected out of headphones and not a speaker cabinet (tomorrow I will test it out on the 1x12 and I expect it will sound worlds better), but considering I only used it as a headphone amp I actually got tones that inspired me to play. So, all in all I think the Micro Terror was well worth it. I’ll post some audio clips in the next couple days.
I pretty much use my Crush RT20 for silent practice almost exclusively, and I like the the tones I am getting thru the HP' output. The Crush uses what Orange calls their "CabSim feature" said to sound like a mic'ed up Orange 4X12 cab. In any case both straight in and with my sparse pedal board the tones are very usable for enjoying practice.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-19-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
What are you try My to change exactly/what don’t you like about it?

Swapping the 12ax7 tubes for a 12at7 or 12au7 will give you a little more clean headroom. A lot of it is trial and error.

Is the vaporizer the 10” speaker version? I can’t remember...if you really hate it just send it to me 😭

It's a 12" speaker. I will sell it to you cheap! It looks amazing and sounds pretty bad. I've tried 3 tube xchanges, and haven't noticed much difference. I'm open to suggestions before I eliminate it.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
It's a 12" speaker. I will sell it to you cheap! It looks amazing and sounds pretty bad. I've tried 3 tube xchanges, and haven't noticed much difference. I'm open to suggestions before I eliminate it.
Some amps are just dogs, plain and simple. I had a Laney Cub 10 for over a year and felt the same way about it. No sparkle in the cleans and just dull, dark and bland. Put my Zoom X1ON in front of it and it sounded like a totally different amp. Without the pedal, just sounded bad. Sold it. Gonna replace it w/a Katana.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-19-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Beyond tube swapping or a different speaker/using a cab I would be at a loss. That’s all I ever feel confident to change.

If you ever want to sell it pm me for sure! After googling it again that is the Pawn Shop Series Fender I actually wanted....my Ramparte is just what I could get locally.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars