The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 11:34 AM

Me too. I have the triple Hercules hanger.
I play bass mandolin and guitar. This has
Worked well for me for about 10 years now.
Care must be taken as they have a lot of pinchpoints. Ouch.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Hamilton KB-38. It was the gold standard for many years before there were other good options. Mine from 25 years ago is still going strong. Hercules is good too.

I wouldn't touch the Ultimate brand with a ten foot pole. I bought one years ago and it worked fine, but the adjusting mechanism broke. No damage by me. The plastic just cracked. I wrote to Ultimate and they would not repair it under warranty, or sell me a replacement part, or fix it if I sent it to them.
I'll second this. No mechanical parts to break and very stable. And cheaper!

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Hang...DWZ3P4PSEXYB4Y
Old 11-20-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I'm surprised so many like the hanging guitar stands. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
I'm curious why that surprises you? IME they are the most stable, and adaptable. The Hamilton KB-38 that I use can hold anything from electric bass to mandolin....
And, stability (guitar safety) should be the most important function of a guitar stand. I would use the Hamilton or Hercules hanging stand over any other bottom-only stand. I do prefer a nice wooden hand-crafted stand for stability and esthetic beauty but those almost always go above your desired spending limit. If that changes, as in Christmas is coming, I would suggest one of these wonderful stands. http://southmtwoodworks.com/index.html

Old 11-20-2017, 12:02 PM

I use the Hercules with no problems.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-20-2017, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Hercules GS414B. All my acoustic guitars hang on them. Stable, very strong, the best.

http://herculesstands.com/internatio...stands/gs414b/
Hercules is #1. Customer service is tops as well. they just recently replaced a defective triple stand that I had.

Lee
Old 11-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Hercules stands work for everything from Ukulele to Baritone Guitars.

The auto-closing heads are reassuring.

I have both free standing and wall mounted, and each is great at what they do.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-20-2017, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hercules GS414B. All my acoustic guitars hang on them. Stable, very strong, the best.

http://herculesstands.com/internatio...stands/gs414b/
Ditto for the Hercules as mentioned. Since the guitar "hangs" and it's weight is not "resting" on two arms, it will adjust and accommodate most any guitar. I tried one a few years ago, bought it, and just love it.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:03 PM

I have a First Act stand I found at a garage sale for $1. I have yet to see my dread fall off it. [emoji23]
Old 11-20-2017, 01:31 PM

I'm going to go a bit against the "Hercules" grain.... I don't like the wingy-thingys on my guitar stands. If a stand is well built you don't need them. If you hit the guitar hard enough to knock it off a good stand then all the wingy-things do is take the stand along with the guitar. Nope. When I take the guitar off the stand I don't want to worry about the stand coming with it. I also don't like the ones that hold the bottom of the guitar. Center of mass is too low and makes tipping too easy IMO.

When I was living in Mexico the only guitar stand I could find was this one, "starfire" brand. It wasn't expensive, but it is totally secure, extremely light weight and adjustable. I wanted another and could not find it under that brand. But purely by accident I found the same stand at Sweetwater... and for only $18!
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GtrStdHang

As I couldn't find my Starfire one for the longest time and needed to buy a stand for my daughter, I came across the Ultimate Support model, which I like a lot too. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GS100 It's a little classier looking and a little heavier as well. You can lock the guitar in with a rubber strap, but it's secure without it.

I take my Starfire/On-Stage stand on gigs even though they have "flip-it" stands there already. I've hung everything on it from boat-anchor weight Les Pauls to my expensive Taylors and vintage Martin. IMO can't be beat for the price and does just as good a job as other stands costing 2x+ more.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-21-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
My old Gibson ES335 was knocked off one of those by a club-official at a gig. You guessed - the traditional Gibson headstock-break. Those stands aren't allowed anywhere near my guitars now.
Well, no stand is going to prevent that happening if it's barged into. I had Les Pauls living on these when I was gigging my electric band and they were just fine. The low centre of gravity helps with stability and I never had an issue. I'm not keen on tripod stands or anything, like the Hercules, where a guitar is suspended from plastic paddles...a poster here had one of those flippers fall off. Doesn't inspire confidence.

Last edited by AndrewG; 11-21-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
My old Gibson ES335 was knocked off one of those by a club-official at a gig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Well, no stand is going to prevent that happening if it's barged into.
Yeah, I always get a chuckle out of the dramas over guitar stands. My experience has always been that another human, or myself, have 100% been the cause of guitar spillage, stands and their various types account for 0%.

rct

Last edited by rct; 11-21-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:46 AM

I've had the 'regular' stands with bottom support for decades. Never really liked them, but at $5 each ,what are you going to do. I've used twist-ties and tape to keep the bottom part form falling out when moved. PITA.

Bought two of these Fender hanging style stands a while back at GC when on sale for $15 each.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/D...rchTerm=fender guitar stands
They normally sell at $40, but I just got an email about an in-store sale on them again for $15. They are the hanging style, but no 'wings'. When fully extended they are just long enough to keep my J-bass off the floor, and are fairly sturdy.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion