The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

My electric gets most of it's playing time unplugged. I never played electric unplugged back when I was playing in bands, which is a shame since I find it really helps me play precisely, so I sound much better when I do plug in.

At one point a couple years ago, I contemplated selling all my electric gear, and I did sell most of it but wound up buying a new amp and some different pedals to replace the stuff I sold. I may someday play in bands again, who knows, but I still enjoy playing electric, even metal sometimes, even if I no longer have the look or the hair. And either way I enjoy recording, including electric tracks.

So, whatever you sell, you may find yourself missing, and wind up replacing with better gear.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 07-26-2017, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Sell the Helix, get the Gibson and pick up a BOSS Katana 50 amp for $199 and you're good to go. Has a line out, aux in, and you can plug it into their software and change all the effect parameters. Probably the best amp I've ever owned next a '70 Super Reverb and it's the lightest and cheapest.

Not being a fan of anything Gibson, I'll let you make the decision on that one.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:22 AM

I think RussL30 made a good point regarding a cheap modelling amp for use should the urge come back. He suggested the Fender Mustang and I aggree 100%. If you can, get the Mk III. You'll be covered for everything with one of those and you should get one easily for a low price now that that new "Replacement" has hit the shelves and is rubbish in my opinion. And a few others!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:24 AM

I can't imagine giving up one for the other. There are times that I play mostly my acoustics and then I go back to my electrics. Currently I'm learning moveable barre chords and I simply can't do that on my acoustics. (don't flame me, I'm a 62 year old woman and my hand strength just doesn't equal that of most men on this forum).
Old 07-26-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frances50 View Post
I can't imagine giving up one for the other. There are times that I play mostly my acoustics and then I go back to my electrics. Currently I'm learning moveable barre chords and I simply can't do that on my acoustics. (don't flame me, I'm a 62 year old woman and my hand strength just doesn't equal that of most men on this forum).
I wouldn't say I'm giving up electric at all. The Helix is a pricey piece of gear, well worth the price of admission if I was to use it to its full potential. However, the problem with modeling tech is that as soon as a new technology is released, the value will certainly drop. I'm just wondering if my money would be wiser invested in a Gibson since I'm gassing now, and maybe get a cheaper electric option for now.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I can't get rid of my Gibson Gas. I keep eyeing either a J-45 or a J-29, but I just don't think I'll have the extra cash anytime soon. I do like my Taylor 814ce, although I'm bouncing around the idea to sell, and I am waiting on a 2017 D-28 I have pre-ordered. I feel silly for wanting a Gibson so badly with 2 killer acoustics in my guitarsenal, but such is life as a guitar player right?

Currently, I have 2 electrics that will never be sold. The first is a Fender '61 Thin Skin Strat and the second is a PRS SC245 that was signed to me from Paul himself. Both are the only two guitars I've made inseparable bonds with.

I don't play electric much anymore. I do have a Line 6 Helix that I'm thinking about selling for a Gibby. It's nice to have a high quality option for playing and recording electric, but I've only made a couple patches on the thing and have never really used it for recording.

So there is the question. Should I sell the Helix (my entire electric rig) for a Gibson acoustic. It would give me 3 killer acoustics, and nothing to play my electrics on. I know that I'd eventually buy a $300-500 amp like a Blues Jr to noodle on, but I just don't know that I really need it right now.

Why do I not want to play electric anymore???
I have no advice but I sympathize with wanting a Gibson. My choices in order are #1 AJ #2 J45 #3 J29.
Let us know where you land.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-26-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
I think RussL30 made a good point regarding a cheap modelling amp for use should the urge come back. He suggested the Fender Mustang and I aggree 100%. If you can, get the Mk III. You'll be covered for everything with one of those and you should get one easily for a low price now that that new "Replacement" has hit the shelves and is rubbish in my opinion. And a few others!
I probably would go with the Boss Katana if I do decide to downgrade. You know, I'd love to just buy a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a few pedals, but then I'd be in well over $1000, which is why I bought Helix.

You know what it is? It's that I've learned that when I play acoustic, it's literally me and the instrument, and with electric you have to have all this "gear" to make it work.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:12 PM

I recommend getting one of those semi-hollow body Gibsons with the F holes, the ES-335.
After playing nice acoustics for 50+years I've fallen in love with my 335.

A center block of solid maple runs through the middle, and the sides are hollow.
Back, sides and top laminate of maple poplar maple.
This design gives it IMO the perfect blend of feedback resistance but with warm airy tone that can melt your heart.
Larry Carlton calls it the perfect guitar cause it can do everything.

It has acoustsic properties I love.
I can sound tender and warm, yet can scream and growl and take gain pedals like a solid-body.
It's a real chameleon, at home with nearly any music genre.

As I enter my declining years I find it's much easier to play than any acoustic.
I expect I'll be playing it years after I can no longer play my acoustics.

If you find the 335 body a bit large Gibson now makes a smaller one, the 339, that sounds nearly identical.

Last edited by Tico; 07-27-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:25 PM

I would sell anything not being used for something that I needed or wanted. No possession is worth keeping solely for keeping's sake.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:29 PM

i wouldn't give up my electric rig for anything. separate but both are enjoyable worlds. luckily i have enough of each.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-26-2017, 12:45 PM

I'd sell it! Like you said modeling equipment doesn't hold it's value once the next "latest and greatest" gizmo comes along.

Gibson J-45, LR Baggs Anthem SL
Martin D-28, JJB Prestige 330
Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50
Old 07-26-2017, 01:07 PM

I've been clinging for quite a while to my Copperburst Telecaster (special run) and two Vox Pathfinder R amps that are as rare as hen's teeth but not in high demand. They are perfect for small gigs and have a line out for use with a PA. I have picked that Tele up maybe three times in the last twelve months.
I also have a $300 Blonde Deluxe Stomp box that is really dang good for various distortion settings. All this gear is in Very good to excellent condition.
The whole kit and kaboodle would probably net me $800-$900 maybe a tad more.

I mean, look at this guitar. Who could part with this

The problem I have is like a lot of people. 'Bout the time I sell it all, I would need it but I don't know what for. I suppose I could borrow the Strat I gave my grandson. It's a great guitar with custom-wound pickups in it. He would certainly lend it to me and he has said so.
I keep thinking I'm going to pick up the Tele and play it, but I never do.
The other side of the coin is I already own four acoustics and I just don't need another.
The ony way I can see any movement is if I were to decide to get rid of one of those as well and go for something like a J45, but I like what I have.
I probably will stand pat until I get GAS for something else... which is inevitable I suppose.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 07-26-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:26 AM

When I play acoustic I think it's the best thing in the world.
When I play electric I think it's the best thing in the world.
So, I have to have both. They each do things that the other can't. If I were the OP, I'd sell that Line6 in a heartbeat. It's a great piece of gear that does a million things - but it doesn't sound like it's ever going to be used the way it was meant to used. The next thing I'd do is buy a 50-watt Boss Katana amp - only around $200 and money very well spent. (I have the 100-watt version because I use it with a band) But, before I made any of those decisions, I'd wait until my new Martin arrived - maybe once it does, the need for a Gibson will be diminished for awhile, and I'd have more time to think about exactly what I wanted.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:34 AM

Having played both the Gibsons mentioned by the OP I wouldn't, personally, choose either. I'd go for an Advanced Jumbo again. IMO it is absolutely the best acoustic made by Gibson.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:20 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Would you give up your electric rig for a Gibson?

(Pardon the clutter)

I don't think that going to happen. Besides, my favorite electric is a Gibson.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion