The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2017, 05:15 PM

Default Guitars you bought that surprised you?

Ever bought a guitar for a beater, the one to take to the beach (if you are so fortunate), the one you don't care about getting nicks, dents, pick scratches?
But then, the sound (for some reason) starts improving and you can't put it down, even if you have other exquisite instruments?

I got a Yamaha LS 16 A.R.E. sunburst in 2015, (R/W, mahogany), played it for a year, no big deal. Then something happened, and it got louder, clearer, and sounded amazing amplified, and was really stable and easy to play. Now I'm grabbing it to all gigs/get-togethers, and loving it. I know it sounds good, cause my buddies are always seeming to leave it in their car.
Thanks AGF, otherwise I wouldn't have heard of it!!
Old 07-25-2017, 05:24 PM

My Martin 000-18 was expected to be excellent - not exceptional but it was indeed that. My Bourgeois 00 was, from the very start - angelic. It's always great when a new guitar makes you grin from the first strum.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:36 PM

Taylor GS mini. I own nothing but dreadnoughts so I was hesitant, but it definitely holds it own and puts out a ton of sound for its size.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:36 PM

My 1964 Guild D40 1 3/4 gives me no loss regrets from the past.

Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Old 07-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
...It's always great when a new guitar makes you grin from the first strum.
I'd never played a 700-series Taylor before special ordering my revoiced 714 from Ted & Helene. However, Steve, accurately described my feeling when it arrived, I anxiously opened it, and gave it that first strum. The icing on the cake was the Western Sunburst top which I found very easy on the eye....

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-25-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:46 PM

1971 Guild F-20, found in dreadful condition (broken headstock, numerous cracks, massive pick rash, etc.).

I think so much of it, I played it at my daughter's wedding last month, even though I have much "better" guitars.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 07-25-2017, 09:29 PM

I just picked up a 70s Epiphone FT-130 Caballero for very cheap. It's not in the same league as my really nice guitars, but I really kind of dig the tone on it. It doesn't have huge volume but it's a nice, dry, woody sound that reminds me of those early Gibson LGs. I bought it as a beater, deck, don't care if the humidity makes it suffer guitar, but I've been playing it nonstop for a few days now. My vintage Gibson and Martin are angry with me.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

My Seagull folk makes it worthwhile to pick it up and play it. Wasn't always like that. When I first got it I was very disappointed with the lack of robustness. Eventually I put a sound port in which boosted the volume a bit and over time the guitar mellowed quite a bit. It's not my "go to" guitar, but when I pick it up to play it usually stays on my lap for a while.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-25-2017, 09:42 PM

Didn't expect too much from my Epiphone DR500R, but, was surprised that it can hold its own against my other guitars in terms of looks, craftsmanship and tone.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:44 PM

Easy. I bought this Eastman off of craigslist on a lark. It is an early, extremely low production guitar. Notice the Martin style bridge. This guitar is a monster and its plugged-in sound is terrific. The sunburst is much, much better in real life.

This guitar will never be for sale...

Old 07-25-2017, 10:31 PM

A Lag T66DC12 12 String Acoustic Guitar.
Bought it cheap just to have a 12 string to play around with.
Cant put it down, gets better and better. Use it more than my Martin 00015m.
1978 Greco LP EG 1000
Yamaha THR10
Vox Pathfinder
Vox Adio Air
Old 07-26-2017, 03:20 AM

I've got an Epiphone DR-100 natural that's loud - and not in a bad way.

Sings with some GHS Bright Bronzes on it.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:12 AM

My number 1 guitar want is a 00-28vs. To tide me over I bought a Sigma 00R-28VS figuring it would be a couch/beach guitar. I bought it online as none of the local Sigma sellers had one. When I got it, there were some aspects I was really disappointed with. I sort of hid it in the wardrobe for a few months until I decided what to do with it. I ended up taking it away with me on a trip, and discovered it was really fun to play. Since then I've really grow an affection for it, and its sound is improving all the time.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:17 AM

While looking for a Martin 0018vs, I stumbled across an om28v on craigslist. Went to see it thinking it was a good price and would give me the opportunity to get used to the neck. Planned to sell it when I found the 00. The guitar was about 3 or 4 years old and practically unplayed. Only needed new strings. I decided to buy it. The guitar turned out to be very special. I have now had a 0018vs for about 5 years and still can't part with the om. Hands adjusted to the neck pretty quickly and it just has a very special sound, even for the model. I have now played a number of om28s, including a particularly great sounding example someone brought to Fur Peace Ranch last October, but none that quite struck me like this one. I am often hit with the same gas as everyone hear and there are always a few guitars for sale here and on the net that I would love to try/buy, but I just can't ever find one I could see replacing my om28v.
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 AM

I spotted a used Seagull SWS at a shop years ago and bought it as a decent sounding "beater" and it's a surprisingly good guitar. It lacks some of the richness of my Martin but it sounds great, plays great, and it's easy to grab and go anywhere.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion