The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-24-2017, 05:07 AM

Default Emerald Remorse

As some of you may remember from a previous thread, I traded my X7 for a few days skilled labour from a friend who is working for me.

Kinda wishin' I hadn't done that now ......
(I've got a Taylor 312ce that he'd have probably taken instead, at the time, but HE loves the Emerald now!)

It was reading the thread "Emerald Questions" that brought on the sadness ...

On the bright side, I think I see an X20 somewhere in my future ! (If I hadn't parted with X7, I wouldn't have had an excuse).
Old 07-24-2017, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

Jon,

I have a GC7 (basically a 712) and have wondered how the X7 felt, going back and forth (scale length, neck, nut width, etc.)

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 07-24-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

I hate it for ya, LJ! I'm loving my X7... right now, I'm playing it more than anything else. Better get on the list soon for that X20.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Umm... that isn't Emerald remorse, it is seller's remorse. Or, more specifically: I can't believe I sold my Emerald remorse. Fortunately, you can cure this sad feeling by buying another Emerald.

I have Emerald euphoria: getting that X7 made me euphoric. I thought buying the X20 would nip that in the bud... nope, still euphoric. Twice as much.

Pretty sure euphoric is mo betta than remorse. You, being a proper Englishman and all, may not be familiar with the term "mo betta"... it means: what were you thinking??

You know this guy is going to tell you how much he enjoys what used to be your guitar every time you see him. Not to rub it in, but because he, too, now has Emerald euphoria.

You know what you need to do.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:42 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Too bad, Jon, but.....now you really have something to look forward to. The X7 was your gateway CF guitar where like most of us, you took a chance, kinda bought it on a lark, and discovered that these CFs are the real deal. Now you've put yourself in a position to want another...maybe in the nether-reaches of your mind, you wanted this to happen. Besides, you have no choice now if you want to stop your friend from rubbing it in.

Now, what would your dream X20 look like? Which colour weave? A woody...if so, which? Haha, just egging you on.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:09 AM

Well now you know, Jon. Next time you make a trade, it WON'T be the Emerald. And yes, you will get another. The bug has bitten.

I was pondering an X20-12 Opus model in stock all summer. But my wife talked me into upgrading to the Artisan version, instead of later wishing for something. She liked the green option, glossy finish, and thought that a pickup wasn't a bad idea just in case (I don't gig any more). I have to wait, but it will be cooler than the plain Opus.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
my wife talked me into upgrading to the Artisan
Congratulations, you are one lucky husband! And of course she's right..

I would love an emerald Emerald!

Old 07-24-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Jon,
I have a GC7 (basically a 712) and have wondered how the X7 felt, going back and forth (scale length, neck, nut width, etc.)
Hi Faz, I didn't ever really go back n forth between the X7 and the Taylor 312. My main squeeze is still my Martin dread, (which is a special ed, with a 1.3/4 nut). I awoke the Taylor from hibernation AFTER the X7 had gone.
The X is of course shorter scale and smaller bodied, but adequately loud (I like to sing and play and I didn't drown out the X, not by a long chalk) and very responsive and balanced, a sweet tone with bronze mediums, the neck on the one I had (a 2013 model) was a pretty chunky C with a gloss finish. I really liked it, but I like the chunky Martin modV, which others may not.

If Pat said to me tomorrow that he'd prefer my Taylor to the X7 , I would swap 'em in a heartbeat AND give him a hundred quid and a bottle of fine malt !

Get one ! You'll love it !

Anyway buddy, thanks for asking me to review the guitar I already regret parting with.... talk about rubbin' salt in the wound.

EVERYONE ELSE, thank you for your kind condolences....

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Walk in Song View Post
While you're waiting, you could get this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-Gr...YAAOSwopRYhSdV
Old 07-24-2017, 11:28 AM

Jon, regarding sellers remorse, it's quite common, and unless one is forced to make the sale for financial reasons, it's usually baseless. I've had sellers remorse dozens of times, even managed to buy back some of the guitars I regretted selling only to resell them again. I am officially done with sellers remorse.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:34 AM

Thanks Ted, I'm gonna get thru this .... I'm strong ...... One day at a time

Wanna sell your X20 ?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:36 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Walk in Song View Post
Congratulations, you are one lucky husband! And of course she's right..

That is a beautiful instrument.

Since having seen the June Select Series (I think it was June, they were all black weave) with the unidirectional top, I think I prefer the weave appearing that way on the top and would really like to see that approach in different colors.

Edit: Here's the black X20...

Last edited by Acousticado; 07-24-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:44 AM

I think that straight weave and maybe the pinless bridge would be nice standard options on Artisans
Old 07-24-2017, 11:50 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I think that straight weave and maybe the pinless bridge would be nice standard options on Artisans
Yeah, I kinda agree. At some point, I'll be buying a guitar to leave at my Florida winter home. It might just be an X20 like the one in the pic (with pinless bridge), but with some thought given to the crystal ice b&s finish. I like the simple look of it.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:52 AM

I considered selling my X20 to help finance a Lucky 13. I decided to push the noodle down the road and later pick my favorite and let the other go after I got the Lucky into the house. That was three years ago and I still haven't settled back down to one acoustic.

The X20 gives a big guitar sound that is so much fun to strum and the Lucky is my jangly little blues box. I just can't let one go yet.

Bottom line (to borrow a line from a song) - I'm broke, but I'm happy.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-24-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Yeah, I kinda agree. At some point, I'll be buying a guitar to leave at my Florida winter home. It might just be an X20 like the one in the pic (with pinless bridge), but with some thought given to the crystal ice b&s finish. I like the simple look of it.
IF I were customising, I might have all gloss apart from the knee contact area on lower side, keep that nice n grippy .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber