The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-21-2017, 09:09 AM

Why would anyone care about anyone else's skill level as an indicator of how much they should spend on something they choose to?

Unless you think you are trying to solicit advice from some "expert" just because they own a nice guitar (or camera), there is NO reason to worry about it.
WHY would anyone choose to get annoyed?!? Telling someone they don't deserve something they've earned/legally acquired, or what a waste it is? Now THAT sure seems rude.

I get a lot more worked up about people who want to judge HOW other people spend THEIR money, then about people who are curious how much things cost.

Whether its guitars, or cameras, or skis, or ???, I know I usually have a lot more money then I do talent - and I'm good with that!! At least I am enjoying myself by being in the game, by being satisfied with my gear, and by knowing I do not have to settle. One great advantage of trying new things a little later in life.

Last edited by jmjohnson; 07-21-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Then we also need to post our talent level.

While it's none of my bidness if a beginner has a $20k Olson, I'm getting annoyed with the stereotype of guys with $$$$$ guitars that can't even play an F chord. I didn't even know that was a thing until recently.
Ok, here's the thing. If they are happy with their $$$$$ guitar, why do you care what their skill level is? I really want to know why that would annoy you?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
There sure seems to be a lot of unnecessary concern for other people's business. Maybe there should be an AGF Busybody Discussion Group.

..........Mike
There already seems to be one, no?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg257 View Post
Whether its guitars, or cameras, or skis, or ???, I know I usually have a lot more money then I do talent - and I'm good with that!! At least I am enjoying myself by being in the game, by being satisfied with my gear, and by knowing I do not have to settle. One great advantage of trying new things a little later in life.
I can relate to this completely.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-21-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I can relate to this completely.

Best,
Jayne
Cheers!
Enjoy it all!
Old 07-21-2017, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

And NGD posts have to go. Get a new guitar? Keep it out of sight so no one's feelings are hurt.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg257 View Post
Why would anyone care about anyone else's skill level as an indicator of how much they should spend on something they choose to?

Pretty sure it's called Jealousy.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:37 AM

A big part of participating around here for more than few months is learning which threads to simply avoid. Otherwise you end up leaving in frustration -- as I nearly have more than once. Don't want to see a post or thread? Then don't look..... You are the one who clicked on it in the first place.

It is exactly the same with any hobby and its forum: guns, photography, bicycles, cars, sewing, horses, boats, etc. Because humans are involved, the psychology and dynamics really don't change. I remember reading all the photography magazines back in the day. While others were debating the minutiae of which Nikon lens was better and saving up, I was out making money shooting photos with so-called "lesser" equipment.

I also use the Control Panel to block certain "problem children" posters -- never even see their posts -- and to turn off the signatures. I'm reminded of why my preferences are set that way every time that I browse here without logging in. With some of those elaborate signatures, I see only about half as many posts per page.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
Ok, here's the thing. If they are happy with their $$$$$ guitar, why do you care what their skill level is? I really want to know why that would annoy you?
I guess I'll take a stab at this.

I am not super annoyed at it, but I am a little bit. I think it's because an expensive guitar used that way is a waste of potential.

As a thought experiment, imagine someone buys a beautiful, carefully crafted, five-figure guitar, takes it home, and shoves it into a wood chipper. Would this not offend your sensibilities? Well, buying it to not play it is hardly any different. In both cases, the instrument is wasted in the use it's being put to. Meanwhile there are people who could make good use of it who can't have it. It's reality, but it seems sort of poignant.

There's a movie called Must Love Dogs in which John Cusack plays a man who builds handmade wooden sculling boats. He's hard pressed for money, but when a customer comes in willing to pay top dollar for one of his fine boats, intending to saw it in half and mount it on a wall, he turns the man away. His friend tells him he's being stupid. I think that sums up the two sides of the current discussion, don't you?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I think it's because an expensive guitar used that way is a waste of potential.
Don't worry - they will make more!

Likely the person playing is having a blast!

ETA: I have a family relative who is a pretty good musician - sings, guitar, kids have similar talent etc. (actually his kid's playing got my kid and I into guitars).

This past family reunion he mentioned how its his dream to 'some day have a Martin'. Now here's a guy in his mid 40s, grown kids, talented enough, but for some reason doesn't think he can justify paying for a Martin? Without judging his financial situation (which is fine), I just don't get that attitude. It seems kinda sad.

One life, people.

Last edited by jmjohnson; 07-21-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
It is exactly the same with any hobby and its forum: guns, photography, bicycles, cars, sewing, horses, boats, etc. Because humans are involved, the psychology and dynamics really don't change. I remember reading all the photography magazines back in the day. While others were debating the minutiae of which Nikon lens was better and saving up, I was out making money shooting photos with so-called "lesser" equipment.
But let's be careful about making assumptions. How do you know they weren't also making money shooting photos? Or how do you even know that they were in photography to make money in the first place? Again, as long as someone is enjoying their hobby, that's all that matters. I don't think people should think of themselves as somehow better than others just because they have different goals with the same hobby or different aspects of the same hobby that they enjoy more than others enjoy them. It would be like someone here saying to someone else, "Look at you sitting there in your own little world with your $$$$$ guitar playing in your living room and trying out different bridge pins while I'm out here doing paid gigs with my $$$ guitar." Who cares as long as you're both enjoying what you're doing?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
I guess I'll take a stab at this.

I am not super annoyed at it, but I am a little bit. I think it's because an expensive guitar used that way is a waste of potential.
That same argument could be made even of a competent player, though. Unless they're the top virtuoso player in the world, technically that expensive guitar is still not being used to it's full potential. But again, why would we care as long as the guitar is being enjoyed? Do we have some personal stake in the guitar that is being damaged by it being in the hands of a player that doesn't meet our imagined skill prerequisites for ownership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
As a thought experiment, imagine someone buys a beautiful, carefully crafted, five-figure guitar, takes it home, and shoves it into a wood chipper. Would this not offend your sensibilities? Well, buying it to not play it is hardly any different. In both cases, the instrument is wasted in the use it's being put to.
I fail to see any points of similarity here. Destroying a guitar is not the same as someone with a low skill level playing and enjoying it. I mean, if someone gets more satisfaction out of putting such a guitar through a wood chipper than playing it, then that's what they should do and it wouldn't offend my sensibilities if that were the case, but somehow I don't think that's what you had in mind, nor do I think there would be many people on earth like that
Old 07-21-2017, 09:55 AM

This particular thread and the responses reminds me of how differently we all view things we see. The reactions are all about looking at stuff on here from an individual perspective. For me it's a valuable exercise. Where else can you hear from so many people with so many viewpoints in a generally civil forum. It's a great reminder that I don't live in a box and thank goodness for that.
As far as what guitars other folks own, I have learned a lot about what's out there. I never even heard of some of these custom builders a few years ago. When I saw "Collins" in a signature for example, I Googled it and learned who and what Collins Guitars were all about. Frankly, what somebody else owns no matter how much or how little it costs doesn't change my life one iota in a negative way. Instead, I benefitted from knowing.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-21-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I think we need to ban listings of instruments in signatures...seriously. It has to cause some people a problem to see what others have worked so hard (or taken so much debt) to get. We're all about avoiding problems, right?
Just assume most are imaginary.

Last edited by aknow; 07-21-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:59 AM

I am at level 14. Don't be overly impressed or jealous of my Halcyons. I got in very early and stole them off of Ed.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic