The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2017, 02:39 AM
Charter Member

Default PICKS - a new discovery

Not wanting to hi-jack a similar thread, but I want to spread the news about a recent discovery.

My preference is for 346 style large triangles.

Each of my guitars has it's own Blue Chip TAD - 50 (1.25 m/m) and Wegen TF140 (1.4 m/m obviously).
Each of these picks come properly finished with bevels and good, if slightly different points.

I've tried the Dunlop Primetone 1.5 copies of Bluechips, which are useable but a little scratchy.

If you share my preference for 346 triangles, but prefer to buy cheap picks I recently made a discovery.

I found an ancient Dunlop Tortex large triangle 1.14m/m (purple) which like many of the Dunlop picks are stamped out and unfinished.

I decided to attempt to finish it.

Comparing it to both of my favourites, I filed down the tips to a small radius, then used a couple of sanding blocks to cut in the six bevels, finishing off with jeweler's rouge on a piece of rough leather nailed to a wooden block.

1.14 m/m is a little thin for me but the tortex material is quite hard so the finished item it remarkable useable.

The process probably took me about two hours and my fingers really hurt afterwards.

I bought a pack of six for a bout five pounds, and have tried to finish a couple more thinking how to make the process easier with a Dremel tool.

So, my point is Dunlop have this stuff called tortex which, if properly finished can make a pretty nice pick. Sadly they only sell "blanks" which frankly, sound scratchy and horrible.

Whether it is worth investing a couple of hours on each pick to save yourself 15 euro for Wegens or $35 for perfect BlueChips is, of course up to you.

I also drilled four holes for grip.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Not wanting to hi-jack a similar thread, but I want to spread the news about a recent discovery.

My preference is for 346 style large triangles.

Each of my guitars has it's own Blue Chip TAD - 50 (1.25 m/m) and Wegen TF140 (1.4 m/m obviously).
Each of these picks come properly finished with bevels and good, if slightly different points.

I've tried the Dunlop Primetone 1.5 copies of Bluechips, which are useable but a little scratchy.

If you share my preference for 346 triangles, but prefer to buy cheap picks I recently made a discovery.

I found an ancient Dunlop Tortex large triangle 1.14m/m (purple) which like many of the Dunlop picks are stamped out and unfinished.

I decided to attempt to finish it.

Comparing it to both of my favourites, I filed down the tips to a small radius, then used a couple of sanding blocks to cut in the six bevels, finishing off with jeweler's rouge on a piece of rough leather nailed to a wooden block.

1.14 m/m is a little thin for me but the tortex material is quite hard so the finished item it remarkable useable.

The process probably took me about two hours and my fingers really hurt afterwards.

I bought a pack of six for a bout five pounds, and have tried to finish a couple more thinking how to make the process easier with a Dremel tool.

So, my point is Dunlop have this stuff called tortex which, if properly finished can make a pretty nice pick. Sadly they only sell "blanks" which frankly, sound scratchy and horrible.

Whether it is worth investing a couple of hours on each pick to save yourself 15 euro for Wegens or $35 for perfect BlueChips is, of course up to you.

I also drilled four holes for grip.
Can we see pictures?

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 07-20-2017, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
Can we see pictures?
Love to but.... the photobucket thing.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Tortex is one of my top go to picks. I drill five small holes in them because it helps me grip it. The holes are like the Wegen picks. They are about the same size.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-20-2017, 05:37 AM

For those into re-shaping existing picks, the Clayton Ultem standard 351 shape has the perfect amount of material for creating a smaller Reauleaux (sp) triangle with very little wasted material. They're available in 1.20, cheap, and to my ears hold a slight edge over the Ultex, although I like the Ultex as well.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Love to but.... the photobucket thing.
As a charter member, you can post them as attachments, provided they aren't too huge. See 'Manage Attachments' in the Additional Options box below where you're typing your post.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-20-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
As a charter member, you can post them as attachments, provided they aren't too huge. See 'Manage Attachments' in the Additional Options box below where you're typing your post.
I missed a memo somehow. What's the deal? I've just been uploading images to my own site, then linking them from there. What are we supposed to do?

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Old 07-20-2017, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Funny you should mention the Tortex purple. Last night I was playing with different picks, and just listening, and I found the purple Tortex to be very close to the Blue Chip. I love the feel of the Tortex picks in my hand as well. A very affordable alternative to Blue Chip or the brown Charmed Life picks.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 07-20-2017, 10:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHill View Post
Funny you should mention the Tortex purple. Last night I was playing with different picks, and just listening, and I found the purple Tortex to be very close to the Blue Chip. I love the feel of the Tortex picks in my hand as well. A very affordable alternative to Blue Chip or the brown Charmed Life picks.
Hey, very cool. What shape and thickness were you playing? Dunlop is the king of the market for very good reasons. I find the Tortex just a tad too bright for me, but the Ultex really hits the sweet spot for me.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 07-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Hey, very cool. What shape and thickness were you playing? Dunlop is the king of the market for very good reasons. I find the Tortex just a tad too bright for me, but the Ultex really hits the sweet spot for me.

Thanks!
Scott
The Tortex Purple is 1.14mm
The Blue Chip TAD 40-1R is 1.00 mm
The CLP is the CLT 1.0 mm

All are triangular in shape. No speed bevels on any of them.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 07-20-2017, 02:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
The Tortex Purple is 1.14mm
The Blue Chip TAD 40-1R is 1.00 mm
The CLP is the CLT 1.0 mm

All are triangular in shape. No speed bevels on any of them.
Okay, thanks. Hey, I think I'm gonna lose on this deal! LOL

I say more power to ya. I always tell people to buy what works for them. Have you compared these three to the Ultex around the same thickness? The Dunlop Ultex 1.14 was my go-to pick for many years before I got into the business. Seems to me, though, that the slightly matte finish on the Tortex must make for a really good grip.

Thanks for the details. You know I'm always interested in these things.

Have a Good One,
Scott
Old 07-21-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
I missed a memo somehow. What's the deal? I've just been uploading images to my own site, then linking them from there. What are we supposed to do?
That direct posting facility is only for charter members, not us peasants....
Old 07-21-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
That direct posting facility is only for charter members, not us peasants....

So because of this, we can post pics, but they can't. Ok.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Old 07-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Okay, thanks. Hey, I think I'm gonna lose on this deal! LOL

I say more power to ya. I always tell people to buy what works for them. Have you compared these three to the Ultex around the same thickness? The Dunlop Ultex 1.14 was my go-to pick for many years before I got into the business. Seems to me, though, that the slightly matte finish on the Tortex must make for a really good grip.

Thanks for the details. You know I'm always interested in these things.

Have a Good One,
Scott
I don't think my assessment will make a dent in your sales, Scott.

I do have a couple of Ultex's - both teardrops - a 1.00 mm and 1.14 mm. Because they are teardrops, I don't use them much at all, so I don't have a good answer for you. I just remember they didn't move me one way or the other pick-wise. I just checked to see, and they do make triangular picks. I might check those out. They also make "sharp" Ultex's, which I believe are beveled picks. I just really like the feel of the Tortex in my fingers. They are kind of grippy.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 07-21-2017, 09:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I don't think my assessment will make a dent in your sales, Scott.

I do have a couple of Ultex's - both teardrops - a 1.00 mm and 1.14 mm. Because they are teardrops, I don't use them much at all, so I don't have a good answer for you. I just remember they didn't move me one way or the other pick-wise. I just checked to see, and they do make triangular picks. I might check those out. They also make "sharp" Ultex's, which I believe are beveled picks. I just really like the feel of the Tortex in my fingers. They are kind of grippy.
AHill, I didn't take it that way and was just being smarmy and sarcastic. Your experience is your experience. That's far more valuable to the members here than anything a Sponsor (with a vested interest) might say. I got into the pick biz from what I learned about these new materials from members on the forum here, although I've always been a pick nerd, from way back when.

To my knowledge, AHill, the regular Ultex line, which I also like a lot, does not offer beveled products, unless they've changed it the last year or so. You might be confusing it with the Primetone line, which DOES offer bevels on some (most?) models. It's the same material, except they've added a dye to tint it a kind of rust brown color. Please, other members help clarify this if I'm wrong.

Thanks Again,
Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion