The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-29-2017, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD - Cordoba GK Pro Negra: String change followup

My first nylon string guitar.

It will initially be another voice to compliment the guitars and music I play currently but I also certainly want to explore classical acoustic solo guitar arrangements.

First impressions are very high quality on fit and finish and very nice tone. Action is higher than any of my steel strings so that will take some adjustment and I suspect I'll send this guitar to my local luthier for a setup.

Looking forward to getting to know this instrument. That's a Neck-Up that I'll use with this guitar in the pic below.

Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 07-06-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:05 PM

Congratulations!! I've had my GK Pro Negra for a little bit over 2 years. I still love it.

I started with the neck-up device, but kept breaking that plastic piece. I've been using the DeOro guitar support for more than a year now. It works great for me.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 06-29-2017, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Congratulations!! I've had my GK Pro Negra for a little bit over 2 years. I still love it.

I started with the neck-up device, but kept breaking that plastic piece. I've been using the DeOro guitar support for more than a year now. It works great for me.
I just measured the action at the 12th fret, 3.6 mm at low E and 3.2 mm at high E so it seems more like a classical guitar action. I'm thinking I'd like it at 2.2mm (high E) - 2.5 mm (low E) eventually. I've not had any problems with the Neck Ups I own. Are you referring to the suction cup or the plastic stiffener plate?
Old 06-29-2017, 02:05 PM

I broke 2 of the plastic stiffener plates. That was the end of my using the neck-up device. Lol

My GK Pro set up is; 1st string has 3mm clearance at the 12th fret . My 6th string has about 4mm of clearance at the 12th fret. I also adjusted the truss rod to allow for additional relief in the neck to minimize any string buzz from aggressive fingerstyle playing. Essentially, it eliminates the Flamenco string snap.

Dave
Old 06-29-2017, 02:29 PM

Camps set up their action well, mine came with 2.5mm on the 1st and 3mm on the 6th. I like it like that. I'm not sure I'd want the bass strings to be any lower than that in fear of buzz. I also don't want the top strings to be lower because it's harder to get volume out of them when they are close to the fretboard.

The action is higher but the strings are easier to play anyway than steel strings, even with the higher action.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 06-29-2017, 03:11 PM

what is a neck up?
Old 06-29-2017, 05:13 PM

It's a form of Guitar support to help raise the neck of the guitar.

https://www.neckup.com

I prefer the De Oro guitar support.

http://www.deoromusic.com/deoromusic...r_Support.html
Old 06-29-2017, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

I ordered a De Oro today to give it a try.

This guitar came with Savarez Cristal 500CJ strings. The lower bass strings have great tone but to be honest, the upper treble strings sound kind of flat. I checked these strings out on Just Strings and 3 of 4 reviewers who had bought them had intonation issues. They are not bad but the bass strings seem to have a lot more clarity and sustain than the treble strings so the overall sound seems unbalanced. I'm a big fan of Thomastik Infeld strings so I ordered a set of their Classic N and also a set of the John Pearce Folk Nylon that was developed by TI (for JP). We'll see how they sound and last.

Last edited by SprintBob; 06-29-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:17 PM

Nice guitar! Congrats. I just dropped off my C9 to have the action lowered a little. It seems to have moved over the past year that have owned it.

But, I did get to pick-up my 1977 Larrivee L-35 from the shop today so, all is good.

I bet your new guitar sounds sweet.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I ordered a De Oro today to give it a try.

This guitar came with Savarez Cristal 500CJ strings. The lower bass strings have great tone but to be honest, the upper treble strings sound kind of flat. I checked these strings out on Just Strings and 3 of 4 reviewers who had bought them had intonation issues. They are not bad but the bass strings seem to have a lot more clarity and sustain than the treble strings so the overall sound seems unbalanced. I'm a big fan of Thomastik Infeld strings so I ordered a set of their Classic N and also a set of the John Pearce Folk Nylon that was developed by TI (for JP). We'll see how they sound and last.
I think you should try some carbon strings. Especially as you are coming from steel strings. Unfortunately, Thomastik Infeld don't do a carbon set.

They have higher tension than nylon and have more density so they are thinner (which allows for more harmonic content and hence the brightness). Generally they are brighter and more powerful than nylon. The tone is different but not radically different. The basses don't have a carbon core, but are generally nylon or some "composite", so when talking about carbon strings, we are generally talking about the trebles.

Some common strings that are "carbon" (fluorocarbon), not nylon:
  • Savarez Alliance (normal or high tension)
  • Daddario j45ff (normal or high tension)
  • Hannabach Goldin (high tension)
  • Oasis carbon (normal or high tension)

I use carbon strings, but the 1st string can get very tense, so I normally mix to have a normal tension 1st string, and high tension for the 2nd and 3rd strings.

Bare in mind that carbon strings slip more at the bridge and at the head stock, so make sure they are installed well (youtube will help).

I too use a Neck Up and I'm very happy with it.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 06-30-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:38 AM

There are a lot of options when choosing strings. High tension will drive the top of the guitar and produce louder sound... But it may wreak havoc on your left hand when fretting chords.

My personal favorite is the Savarez Cantiga 510AR normal tension. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of the volume for a happier left hand.

Strings By Mail is a great place to look into strings for your nylon guitar AND they are the only place that you can buy half sets for just about every brand out there. They have some nice tips on choosing strings too.

FWIW- Half set is buying just basses or trebles. (Bass strings wear out faster than trebles on nylon stringed guitars)

Plus you can go crazy and mix and match brands
Old 07-06-2017, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

I changed the strings out to John Pearse Folk (made by TI) and the difference was a significant improvement especially in the treble strings along with excellent tone balance high to low and great feel. With these strings, I believe I have the tonal flavor I was hoping for that is different than my steel string guitars but works great for the fingerstyle and flatpicking material I play currently. These strings may not be the best for classical music but I don't see myself playing classical.

Last edited by SprintBob; 07-06-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

I only use the Luthier Popular Supreme 20 sets on my GK Pros (and my F10). But I'm going for a brigther, snappy flamenco sizzle.

Regarding action, I have mine set low on all of my guitars. I shave the bottom of the saddle as low as I can get it, and then tweak the truss rod as well if need be. I don't want my strings fretting out, but a little buzz/sizzle here and there are fine. Especially since I gig plugged-in and those sorts of things seem to come through my amplifier/PA less than they sound acoustically.

Anyways... congratulations. I love the GK Pros. Of all of the nylon strung guitars that I've owned, they are my absolute favorite. And that includes $4K American made instruments. Cordoba has something special with the GK line in my opinion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical