The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-03-2017, 10:14 AM

Default 2017 Santa Barbara Acoustic Instrument Celebration

HI Everyone

It's coming together and only a week to go! There have been some shedule changes to the seminars due to ill health, but we've got a new seminar: Jean Larrivee will be sharing his experiences with and expertise on tonewoods after searching all over the world for the last 50 years!

VIP Presales end Monday morning 8am PDT August 21, and all online sales end Tuesday August 22. Day passes and classes will be available at the door.

The Santa Barbara Acoustic Instrument Celebration is relocating and upgrading to the beachside Fess Parker resort for the weekend of August 25-27, 2017! This spacious venue has everything you'd want for a comfortable, relaxed weekend - rooms on site, restaurants, bar, pool, ocean, and a high class exhibition space.

This year's festival has been completely rebuilt from the ground up to take advantage of the venue and the features that worked the best from last year. A great group of 60 premier luthiers including Benedetto, Buendia, Buscarino, Fox, Matsuda, Manzer, Ribbecke, Sexauer, Somogyi and Wingert (and many more) will present their fine work in a more intimate space. Eleven player workshops in multiple genres at all skill levels will be offered with our talented teachers, and the music demos have been consolidated into one indoor location with an outstanding sound tech.

The new Heritage Exhibit will trace the development of the stringed instrument from the Gambian Kora, through the Renaissance and Baroque Periods into 19th Century Classical and steel sting examples, and to an exhibit of Steve Klein's lifetime of work. Luthier icons including Erikson, Fox, HG Leach and Larrivee will be giving complimentary seminars on all aspects of the craft.

For evening concerts, we kick off with the Guitar Summit on Thursday evening followed by Dueling Guitars with Fingerstyle Champs Richard Smith and Tim Sparks. Friday will start with Hawaiian Slack'n'Steel by Ken Emerson and Kimo West followed by the Guitar Summit II. Michael Chapdelaine and Tony McManus will present a Classical Outlaws Play Somogyi concert at the Center Stage. The Saturday night headliner will be stringmeister David Lindley at the Lobero, with a benefit auction of an exceptional Ribbecke Halfing guitar.

SBAIC '17 will feature the finest contemporary acoustic instruments, workshops, seminars and music. Everyone who attends SBAIC’17 gets a chance to win a new Sexauer FT-00-WRX Guitar, so come on by and Share Your Passion with old and new friends for a fun, relaxing and inspiring festival. www.sbaic.com

Last edited by SBAIC; 08-15-2017 at 08:54 PM. Reason: UPDATE: Only a Week to Go!
Old 05-03-2017, 07:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Having completed the giveaway guitar a couple of months ago, and paying particular attention to how it plays and sounds since I expect between 500 and 2500 people to handle it, I am amazed at how it has developed since stringing. MUCH more so that most of my guitars. I attribute this to being made with titebond instead of HHG, which is my normal glue. I have heard it suggested that titebond continues to harden up for some time and I have always thought this an old luthier's wife's tale, but now I am not so sure. Most of my guitars are noticeably crisper from day one, but this puppy has arrived. Interesting. Hope to see you in August.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 05-04-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Having completed the giveaway guitar a couple of months ago, and paying particular attention to how it plays and sounds since I expect between 500 and 2500 people to handle it, I am amazed at how it has developed since stringing. MUCH more so that most of my guitars. I attribute this to being made with titebond instead of HHG, which is my normal glue. I have heard it suggested that titebond continues to harden up for some time and I have always thought this an old luthier's wife's tale, but now I am not so sure. Most of my guitars are noticeably crisper from day one, but this puppy has arrived. Interesting. Hope to see you in August.
I believe Bruce I believe!!!
Old 06-01-2017, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

I'm a local OMG! So lucky.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:28 AM
Charter Member

Yep, just purchased my SBAIC tickets and airline tickets from Hawaii. Purchased a bunch of the classes too. This show looks amazing for an acoustic guitar nut like me. Had to miss last year's show at the last minute but all lined up his year!

-Charles
Minerva 0 12 fret
Edwinson Falcon 0 cutaway, sapele/spruce
Edwinson Zephyr 00 cutaway, koa/spruce
Taylor 612-C Maple Grand Concert (1997)
Taylor 612-CE Maple Grand Concert (1999)
Old 07-09-2017, 08:44 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Wish I could come! I'm gutting a key west mid-mod home to the tune of hemorrhage trauma code. Should be moved in by October but then have a ton of landscaping, pool, landscape architecture to go. Should be fun though!
Old 07-27-2017, 04:16 PM

I was there last year, hopefully can make it happen again.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Somogyi

Ervin will be bringing my classical with him to Santa Barbara's event.
Now if I could only swing it and drop in.
1980 Nakade classical, Spruce/EIR
and... a bunch of ukulele
Old 08-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palolowarrior View Post
Ervin will be bringing my classical with him to Santa Barbara's event.
Now if I could only swing it and drop in.
Would be great to high five Hawaii's finest...! Hope to see ya there!
Old 08-13-2017, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Would be great to high five Hawaii's finest...! Hope to see ya there!
Dave...one day.
1980 Nakade classical, Spruce/EIR
and... a bunch of ukulele
Old 08-25-2017, 12:02 PM

Word is that Wingert has a new Brazilian E for the show.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've seen a couple pics in the Sexauer thread. I sure would like to see more of the show.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 08-27-2017, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
I've seen a couple pics in the Sexauer thread. I sure would like to see more of the show.

I don't have many. Maybe later someone will post better/more pics.

The beyond vintage gallery is very cool!

The modern stuff isn't too shabby either...

Old 08-27-2017, 05:38 PM

[/QUOTE]

This Snow White parlor guitar by Dontcho was stunning! It sold on Sunday making Dontcho a happy man.!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop