The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-26-2017, 08:10 PM

Default Solar Eclipse, are you going to try to see it?

The solar eclipse is just a few weeks away. I live about 5 miles outside the path of totality. I think from my house we would get something like 98.5% totality. That's not good enough, we're going camping very close to the center of totality. We've been scouting out places to camp that are off of logging roads and up in elevation. This will be my first and most likely my last total solar eclipse in my life. I may have to get a Tee Shirt that says "I Survived the Dragon Eating The Sun".
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 07-26-2017, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

I live about 1/2 mile outside the path of totality. As long as the cloud cover cooperates on the coast I'm good to go from my deck which should have a perfect view.
EDIT: Actually I just looked it up and we are considered in the path of totality. Depoe Bay, OR

Anybody that wants to brave the traffic you're welcome :^ )
Alvarez MD60 Herringbone
Guild GAD-50

Last edited by dragon1952; 07-26-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:39 PM
Humanist

All of us Oregon folks will have reasonable access, but there will be (supposedly) an extra million cars on the road in our state alone.

I will be hunkered down a number of miles south of the totality-zone (just south of Eugene), enjoying 98% from the comfort and convenience of my own home...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-26-2017, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Oh, I imagine that I'll see it (or not see it, as the case may be!)... hard to miss it around here, unless it's a cloudy or overcast day (which happens...).

I have a hard time wrapping my head around why folks are making such a HUGE deal out of a 3 minute event... oh well, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Much like Larry, I'll be staying off the highways with all that traffic nonsense... I imagine that those who come to see the eclipse will be leaving shortly thereafter...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-27-2017, 12:42 AM

Yes, I'll see it, hopefully with our granddaughters, 7 & 9. They're homeschooled and exceptionally interested in astronomy. When they spend a week with us during the summer, they both ask to go to a nearby planetarium. This is a rare opportunity for them to learn more about the sun's corona, and the relationships of the various bodies in our solar system. We and they are already in the 94% area, so we won't have to drive far to reach the 100%. The question now is if a 1'39" total eclipse is sufficient, or if we want to drive a bit more and see it for 2'30."

cotten
Old 07-27-2017, 03:46 AM
Charter Member

Would like to, but can't. I'll get about 96% and I've seen a couple others, so...

It's a fun experience.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:28 AM

We're traditionalists so we are planning human sacrifice to coincide with totality. Harder and harder to get volunteers.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Yes, I'll see it, hopefully with our granddaughters, 7 & 9. They're homeschooled and exceptionally interested in astronomy. When they spend a week with us during the summer, they both ask to go to a nearby planetarium. This is a rare opportunity for them to learn more about the sun's corona, and the relationships of the various bodies in our solar system. We and they are already in the 94% area, so we won't have to drive far to reach the 100%. The question now is if a 1'39" total eclipse is sufficient, or if we want to drive a bit more and see it for 2'30."

cotten
I think you should have a party. This is one of those rare occasions when you will be able to drink a Corona while observing a corona.

Of course the "Youngins" will have to make do with a Mountain Dew or the like.
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 07-27-2017, 04:43 AM

I understand a lot of folks are excited about this. My brother-in-law plans on driving about 400 miles to see it in its totality. Personally I find it's something for which I can't muster any interest. I suppose my Druid ancestors would be disappointed in me.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 07-27-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
We're traditionalists so we are planning human sacrifice to coincide with totality. Harder and harder to get volunteers.
We did this with the last eclipse. Unfortunately, several weeks after the festivities, to our horror, a prophet revealed that the young lady involved was NOT a virgin. Of course, Bel was not pleased with this abominable slight and He did not cut us any slack with regard to our ignorance of the situation. You are supposed to check to make sure before ! Just a word to the wise. Our lives have become a living hell since. If can save just one fellow guitarist from this fate, my few remaining miserable days will count for something.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

...we'll be watching from our little farm near Silverton Oregon...we're in the path of totality and supposed to get a minute and 46 second duration...2:09 is the maximum duration for Oregon .... we're looking forward to the show...
Old 07-27-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
We did this with the last eclipse. Unfortunately, several weeks after the festivities, to our horror, a prophet revealed that the young lady involved was NOT a virgin. Of course, Bel was not pleased with this abominable slight and He did not cut us any slack with regard to our ignorance of the situation. You are supposed to check to make sure before ! Just a word to the wise. Our lives have become a living hell since. If can save just one fellow guitarist from this fate, my few remaining miserable days will count for something.
That's the problem! I thought they said "sturgeon". Happy the sacrifices will work better but I'm gonna miss that fish fry.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:44 AM

Public Service Announcement!
Bee Careful

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SpJXxmgi6CU

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-27-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
Public Service Announcement!
Bee Careful

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SpJXxmgi6CU

I bought a 10 pack of viewing glasses from an online source who's founder is now the richest man on the planet.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 07-27-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
We did this with the last eclipse. Unfortunately, several weeks after the festivities, to our horror, a prophet revealed that the young lady involved was NOT a virgin...
As I understand it, we're allowed to talk about the music or stuff you used in this kind of "worship," but not much beyond. Besides, if her brother the cop reads this, your life is about to get even worse!

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic