The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-27-2017, 07:55 AM

Default Another boat thread - OB vs I/O?

I also plan to get a boat in the near future. 17 - 20 feet, open bow. Something to take the family to local lakes. Tubing, skiing, typical pleasure boat use.
I will buy used and it will likely be between 10 and 15 years old.
I have had a similar boat in the past so I am not completely unfamiliar, but one thing that I wonder about is - should I prefer an out board, or an inboard/outboard setup for this application, and why?
What are the +/- of each?
It seems that I/O is the more common type for the style of boat I'm looking for, but I do see a number of outboards offered.
Which would you choose and why?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 07-27-2017, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

I would go with an outboard.

I/O has the outdrive which is one more maintenance item. I'm on salt water and outboards are more popular here, but the outdrive may not be as much of an issue in fresh water.

I/O may offer better fuel economy for skiing.

When (not if) it comes time to replace the engine an outboard is a simpler installation. Not sure if cheaper, but simpler.

I had custody of an inboard center console for a few years. Had lots of issues with ethanol in fuel gumming up the carb. Not sure how much of an issue this is with outboards, my sense is not as much. Of course an I/O can be fuel injected or converted over.

Take this with a grain of salt, most of my boats including the current one have been sailboats with inboard diesels. Give them plenty of air and keep the fuel clean and they are happy. Of course we only go 6 knots, 7 when the wind blows

Hope you find the right boat for you and your family!
Old 07-27-2017, 08:43 AM

I have a 20' Jet Boat with a 350 Chev inboard. IMO, The jet pump is the simplest, lowest maintenance propulsion unit there is. The 350 Chev is a solid engine, easy to work on and cheep to replace. The jet boat is extremely maneuverable and just fun. Now for the cons, the jet boat is less fuel efficient, the pump intake can easily get clogged and cause loss of performance. I would take a jet over an out drive any day.

The modern outboard is a very reliable, fuel efficient, quiet and powerful for it's weight. The cons, they are expensive to replace and can be temperamental to work on if your only wrenching back ground is in automotive maintenance.

As for buying a 10 or 15 year old boat, caution would be my guide regardless of it's power plant. I think what is most important is the experience and capabilities of previous owner and how well they kept up the boat, how many hours are on it and where it was stored when it was not in use.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 07-27-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
Something to take the family to local lakes. Tubing, skiing, typical pleasure boat use. Which would you choose and why?
Jet motors are the present and future.
On a fishing boat you can go shallow (4"-8").
On a pleasure craft there's no chopping blades to injure or tangle.
My fishing boat: https://spark.adobe.com/page/tLxOjlDelMFAK/
Old 07-27-2017, 09:56 AM

Outboard all day long! Yamaha preferred.

Outboard is easier to work on and is designed specifically for boats.

I/O's are car engines adapted to boats and have problems with bellows boots and gimble bearings.

Last edited by chitz; 07-29-2017 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
I have a 20' Jet Boat with a 350 Chev inboard. IMO, The jet pump is the simplest, lowest maintenance propulsion unit there is. The 350 Chev is a solid engine, easy to work on and cheep to replace. The jet boat is extremely maneuverable and just fun. Now for the cons, the jet boat is less fuel efficient, the pump intake can easily get clogged and cause loss of performance. I would take a jet over an out drive any day.
I was a river fishing guide. I agree on the pros on the jet for rivers. Don't see a need for it on still or ocean.

I would always choose outboard because of ease of troubleshooting/repair, and cost. I can fix an outboard, and most importantly troubleshoot on the water.

I totally get anyone's preference for I/O. But as a former fishing guide, I wouild never trade deck space for an engine bay. Plus it's hilarious when a big fish pulls down while the inexperienced angler (who's being talking poop all day about what a hot shot he is) is holding his rod right over the Outboard
Old 07-27-2017, 11:09 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful. I had not considered jet, as I am not seeing it in the style of boat I'm after. Seems like they are mostly closed bow boats focused on performance. I'll look into it more.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 07-27-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
I/O's are car engines adapted to boats and have problems with bellows boots and gamble bearings.
Yes, just perusing ads I hear these items mentioned enough to assume that they are high failure rate items.
Any idea of replacement cost on say a 4.3 Merc?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 07-27-2017, 01:25 PM

Good luck with your boat purchase! I used to sell boats in N.H. for many years. Our lake was perfect for the 17'-20' family runabout. I suspect you will find more used inventory for IO's simply because the high horsepower outboards were (are) a more expensive package up front. A 10 year old used boat should even things out a bit price wise. For IO's mercruiser comes highly recommended from every mechanic I have ever worked with including a shop that sold Volvo's! Bellows aren't too big of a deal if taken care of in a timely manner. Gimbel bearing failures are usually the result of the owner running the outdrive all the way up when beaching the boat or running slowly in shallow water. You can get away with that for a while but eventually the stress will cause the failure. In our neck of the woods used boats can have very low hours as the boating season is fairly short. That's a good thing for the used boat buyer but also makes it very important to know how the boat was stored and winterized/summarized each season. A marina stored boat is a good thing. Lastly, on a ten year old boat check the interior. An original floor and original seating in great condition marks an owner that took care of his boat. Oh, and for mercruiser a 3.0 litre 4 cylinder is fine for the 17'. 4.3 six if you go bigger than 17' (great engines both. Very reliable). You may see some 5.0 and 5.7 litre eights out and about. They like gas! and are usually unnessesary for light tubing and skiing. Oh, and hull design matters. Get a boat that jumps on plane (very forgiving on the engine) and turns on a dime at speed with no kick-out. Good luck.

Last edited by Jobe; 07-27-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:57 PM

If you fish, a fish and ski is nice... http://www.discoverboating.com/buying/boat/fish-and-ski
Old 07-27-2017, 02:17 PM

I forgot to answer your original question. Even though I grew up with outboard motors and love them I would lean towards mercruiser IO's for a ten to 15 year old boat. And they are not car engines. They start with a GM block and build and marinize from there. They are boat engines. Another point, older 2 strokes will wear down over time and heavy use. They were nice simple motors though. The four strokes are a different animal and not as simple for the backyard mechanic. Also, mercruiser service will be available at any local marina anywhere in the country. Parts are plentiful and cheap relatively speaking. A Honda or newer Evinrude may require a dealer marina for some servicing issues. Just my two cents. I guess if I fell in love with a boat I would go either way. I like Evinrude and Yamaha with Yamaha perhaps winning on reliability. Honda is fine too. Hearing good things about Suzuki lately but not ten or fifteen years ago. Hopefully you have a local marina to help with service. That may sway your decision as to what they can provide for your yearly maintenance. A good marina will keep you happy. And boating is all about pleasure!
Old 07-28-2017, 06:15 PM

Thanks to all for the replies, and thanks Jobe for all the great information.
So far, the leading contender is an 07 Bayliner 185 br. 3.0 Merc/Alpha I.
I lean towards this one, because while it may not be the most luxurious or powerful boat, it seems very clean and is offered by a seemingly fastidious original owner.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 07-28-2017, 10:31 PM

Go careful. Check the Blue book or ABOS on the boat. Bayliners were inexpensive new (for a reason... think guitars) They can be a great 'value' used as they do not hold their value. Slim on gelcoat and thin on interior fit and finish. They have made thousands of people happy on the water. So not to discourage you. They are what they are. Check the price books. And with the mercruiser on the back you could be very happy!
Old 07-28-2017, 10:39 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
Go careful. Check the Blue book or ABOS on the boat. Bayliners were inexpensive new (for a reason... think guitars) They can be a great 'value' used as they do not hold their value. Slim on gelcoat and thin on interior fit and finish. They have made thousands of people happy on the water. So not to discourage you. They are what they are. Check the price books. And with the mercruiser on the back you could be very happy!
Jobe, I'm just curious as I may be in the market for a used boat similar to what Wengr is looking for...what would you recommend?

Any thoughts on the larger jet boat Waverunners (Bombardier, Yamaha)? Thanks!
Old 07-29-2017, 04:02 AM

It's always prudent to have any boat inspected by a marine surveyor prior to purchase.

Know why they call them "Bayliners"?

The bay is lined with them.

Just kiddn.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic