The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
When I play acoustic I think it's the best thing in the world.
When I play electric I think it's the best thing in the world.
So, I have to have both. They each do things that the other can't. If I were the OP, I'd sell that Line6 in a heartbeat. It's a great piece of gear that does a million things - but it doesn't sound like it's ever going to be used the way it was meant to used. The next thing I'd do is buy a 50-watt Boss Katana amp - only around $200 and money very well spent. (I have the 100-watt version because I use it with a band) But, before I made any of those decisions, I'd wait until my new Martin arrived - maybe once it does, the need for a Gibson will be diminished for awhile, and I'd have more time to think about exactly what I wanted.
This is very good advice, and exactly what I've decided to do. I plan on buying a Katana first and trying it out for a few weeks and if I like it, I'll dump the Helix. Helix sounds great, but I just don't use it.

As far as getting a Gibson, I may hold off for the very reason you mentioned. If the D-28 proves to be a special guitar, I probably won't even be wanting one. I think my gas is coming from just not having a good rhythm guitar in the stable at the moment.

Then there is the 814ce...the wonderful DADGAD guitar that keeps playing tag with my emotions. Its the guitar that haunts me with its beautiful fingerpicked voice, but discourages me when strummed. I just don't like this guitar in anything other than DADGAD...
Old 07-27-2017, 07:11 AM

I did. After many decades I sold off my 1958 Telecastser. Not an easy thing to do. After playing it so long I had nightmares about it for weeks. But I had not played in an electric band for a lot of years and it deserved to be played. I used part of the money that guitar brought in to buy a 1960 Gibson J-200 that I wanted.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Sell everything, go acoustic. When the honeymoon ends, recalculate
DITTO.

Sell the PRS too, but keep the ThinSkin, IMHO.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbuster View Post
DITTO.

Sell the PRS too, but keep the ThinSkin, IMHO.
The PRS is special since I had Paul sign it on the back of the headstock at a meet and greet in my hometown. I've been through 5 or 6 PRS guitars and nearly gave up on them, but this one is something special. Sounds amazing and is the only humbucking guitar I really will ever want....well, except for a 335 on day!

The Thin Skin is also pretty special. I was in the process of ordering a Custom Shop Strat and was about to push the button. I had all the specs laid out and was on the phone with the sales guy when he goes "huh...you know this is exactly like the new limited run of '61 Thin Skins we just got in." It was literally the same guitar lol, down to the neck profile and frets. Only thing different was the pickups. The wiring was even how I wanted it. Saved me over $1000 and I love it to this day, and I know my strats lol.

I wish I could find an acoustic that made me as content as these two electrics that it was "The One." My issue really is in a matter of specs and sound. I think my ultimate acoustic guitar would be a GPC model with bracing like an HD-28, with the look of a GPCPA1 Plus, without electronics. Find me that guitar and I'll sell every other acoustic.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:43 AM

I rarely pick up my electric intentionally to play but, It stays on a stand where I can get it in a second. I play it unamplified early or late in the day or for the 10-15 minutes I'm waiting for my wife to get ready to go somewhere. Usually if I intend to play it, it's thru my Zoom G3 into headphones. I still like the electric sound at times. I would sell my Fender Frontman and still keep my Fishman amp if I want to get louder. If you're not sure, you'd probably miss the electric sooner or later. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:50 AM

Thanks guys...

Just to clarify again, I'm not selling my electric guitars...just my "rig", which is a Line 6 Helix. It's like having a Lamborghini to take the kid to school a mile from home.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:18 AM
Cocobologist

My $0.02...

In defense of the Helix (I own one), they also work great on acoustics. The studio compression, parametric and graphic EQs, modulation efx, delays and reverbs work great. The frequency response of the unit is top shelf and the global EQ can be dialed in to tame low frequency rumbles, shrill highs, or troublesome feedback freqs regardless of the patch used.

Being able to build snapshots within each patch means you can set up special delays/tremolo/ambient reverbs that can be quickly kicked on/off without impacting the rest of your tone. Nice benefit if you play tunes that need it.

An additional benefit (If you choose to use it - I don't) is the mic input for vocal effects.

Built in tuner, volume pedal, looper and stereo DI round out what I consider to be a killer box.

Sure, it's marketed to and primarily designed for electric. However, in my experiments, I've found it to also work very nicely with an acoustic guitar...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 07-27-2017, 11:32 AM

Probably not relevant but I'd get rid of my Strat for a Martin D-15mL in a heartbeat.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

That SC245 should handle any short scale blues, rock and most pop music.
The Fender covers Americana, surf, and country.

What genre will you need the Gibson voice for?
Maybe get a Bill M modified Blues Jr and sell the Helix?

Seems to me our input is minor compared to your own common sense of what gear stays and what gear goes.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:48 AM

Sounds like a plan to me. I'm always for living in the moment, though I am sensing the clear signs of GAS and it's reality-bending effects. You're right, you do have some very nice guitars already and I don't really know why you think another will magically part the clouds, but that's not my call.
I did something similar last year with the same reservations. As it turns out, what you don't play, you don't miss. Or, if you can upgrade to something better, it can inspire you to play more. Go for it. Though I'm cringing thinking of you letting that Taylor go. Really great instrument.
A J45 or Helix? The Gib will be a much better investment in the long run over any kind of electric tech.

Last edited by Fairlight; 07-27-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
What genre will you need the Gibson voice for?
Maybe get a Bill M modified Blues Jr and sell the Helix?
It wouldn't be genre specific, but rather purpose specific. I'd like a sub $1000 used guitar that I can take outside, over to people's houses for jams, and just be a "beater." Nothing in Taylor or Martin's lineup interests me in that price range, so I thought a J-15 or J-35 used would be perfect.

I can't bring myself to take my Taylor or my incoming D-28 out into the elements. I've seen what sweat and heat does to an instrument.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

I would in a heartbeat.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I can't get rid of my Gibson Gas. I keep eyeing either a J-45 or a J-29, but I just don't think I'll have the extra cash anytime soon. I do like my Taylor 814ce, although I'm bouncing around the idea to sell, and I am waiting on a 2017 D-28 I have pre-ordered. I feel silly for wanting a Gibson so badly with 2 killer acoustics in my guitarsenal, but such is life as a guitar player right?

Currently, I have 2 electrics that will never be sold. The first is a Fender '61 Thin Skin Strat and the second is a PRS SC245 that was signed to me from Paul himself. Both are the only two guitars I've made inseparable bonds with.

I don't play electric much anymore. I do have a Line 6 Helix that I'm thinking about selling for a Gibby. It's nice to have a high quality option for playing and recording electric, but I've only made a couple patches on the thing and have never really used it for recording.

So there is the question. Should I sell the Helix (my entire electric rig) for a Gibson acoustic. It would give me 3 killer acoustics, and nothing to play my electrics on. I know that I'd eventually buy a $300-500 amp like a Blues Jr to noodle on, but I just don't know that I really need it right now.

Why do I not want to play electric anymore???
I can only speak for myself, but the last experience I had in a band was bad so I've kind of become a solo artist because my heart can't take it. I still have a Strat and I jam with friends on occasion, but I really like to do open mics now. No band politics, no drama. YMMV

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 07-27-2017, 01:34 PM

I'd trade my electric rig (MIM Tele and Mustang III) in a second for a J-45. I've only got about $450 total in my electric rig (if you count the groovy leather strap).
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 07-27-2017, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn't trade my electric rig, a vacuum tube half-stack, but I would trade your helix in a heartbeat. Your helix is easily replaced, and is only going down in price with more features (and more competition) every year.

A well built acoustic is on the opposite trend. The materials are going up in price, and so is the labor, regardless of where it is sourced. More and more woods are going on the CITES list every year. The dollar is probably going to lose strength against the Yuan if we have a trade war with China. Minimum wage in the USA is going up, so the cost of a lot of stuff will, and Gibson employees will want/need more money too.

I could go on and on.

The Helix has CPU software declining cost and increased power making it outdated by the minute. The wood in the Gibson is becoming scarce as is quality workmanship.

Selling a CPU based amp for a nice acoustic guitar is a no-brainer for me.
2015 Martin HD28E Retro
2015 Gretsch 6128 Power Jet
2003 Amalio Burguet F1 concert flamenco
2010 Langejans R-cb classical
2019 Gibson 1958 true historic
2012 PRS Stripped '58 with 5708 pickups
1992 PRS CE24 (all original)
Many including Gretsch, Tokai, Yamaha, and Fender.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion