The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-25-2017, 07:16 AM

The mere act of posting the Kingston Trio performer Merry Minuet will probably get me sent to AGF jail for a few days but, I am willing to take the chance.

It was OK back in the 60's. The song played all over the radio and was performed on live TV.

Enjoy

1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
why do people post topics they know are argumentative?

What topic isn't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Exactly.
Some of the stuff that's ended up locked has had the most unlikely and innocent start but somehow descends into name calling and abuse . . . Last one I could find locked on the general section is about 5 pages back and it was a newbie who innocently asked the "wrong" kind of question.
But the OP is not talking about that; he's talking about people who start threads with topics that they know have a heated history here. I don't think he had in mind newbies asking questions about ToneRite or "are [x brand] guitars worth it?" etc.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
Is this the right room for an argument?
No. This is for abuse. Arguments are next door. Sorry.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
No. This is for abuse. Arguments are next door. Sorry.
No it isn't...

Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure if some "argumentative" threads are intended to be that. We have our share of "experts" that turn things into arguments and some members just don't seem to understand that opinions, no matter how ill informed, are still just opinions that are not wrong, just different.

Also, arguing with people on a forum is like a shouting match with a mime.... Close your eyes, you don't hear a thing.

I bet 99% of us could get together, have a few drinks, and really have a great time playing and talking about guitars. We just take it too seriously sometimes.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-25-2017, 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=TBman;5420396]

Also, arguing with people on a forum is like a shouting match with a mime.... Close your eyes, you don't hear a thing.

QUOTE]

I like it, very witty Barry.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-25-2017, 01:33 PM

I have no doubt that some people like to stir the puddin' just to watch the sparks fly, to use a mixed metaphor for trolls. We've always had them, though to be honest they are generally much milder here than on many other forums.

I don't think it would be fair to assume, however, that every question asked about topics that are known to be controversial are intended just for laughs. Sometimes, people want a sincere, "nice," well reasoned response from this community of friends. This is especially true of people who have hung out with us here for a while. They know they will receive some very thoughtful, helpful replies from member A, B, or C, and they also know they might receive some rather snarky replies from member X, Y, and Z, with a wide range in between the two extremes.

Because of this, in about 85% of cases, I don't see topics as argumentative as much as I see some people who can be counted on to be argumentative - some in a truly funny, helpful sort of way, and a few with an accustomed mean spirited edge to their words, even when they stay on the acceptable side of "nice."

I remember years ago when the AGF had what we called the Loading Dock. It was a Charter Members Only sub forum where as long as one could and would be nice, no topic was taboo. It started out beautifully, as friends could respectfully discuss even the most controversial of topics, such as politics, religious beliefs, even abortion. There was clearly disagreement, but it was both friendly and informative. I didn't know of any other forum who would attempt such a thing. Unfortunately, the honeymoon period was short lived, and the Dock eventually sank. That experience taught me that topics aren't argumentative, some people are.

cotten
Old 07-25-2017, 01:55 PM

Well said, as usual, Cotten.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic