The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-17-2017, 07:16 PM

I use a BodyRez in front of one of my backup guitars that doesn't really have an earthshaking unplugged tone and just has the stock fishman ust. It's easy to over do it, like someone said- a little goes a long way. I would never run my d35 through it, but its a good, easy tool to give a little life to a flat pickup.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:31 PM

I've gone though a number of piezo base pickups that benefited from the TC Body Rez in the Play Acoustic Pedal. With the Fishman Aura Plus system, I don't need any pedals. I plug in direct and go. But, for my K&K, I actually like the Body Rez feature. If you use the advanced mode, you can play with the various settings for a less processed tone. The compressor and para EQ are very useful.

Forgive the inference, but I wonder if you may have some sensitivity to some of the boosted low frequencies, or need more boost for other mid cut frequencies around 900 Hz. Perhaps you are experiencing some hearing fatigue?
Old 07-18-2017, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Forgive the inference, but I wonder if you may have some sensitivity to some of the boosted low frequencies, or need more boost for other mid cut frequencies around 900 Hz. Perhaps you are experiencing some hearing fatigue?

No offense taken. I have done live sound re-enforcement professionally since about 1988 when I graduated from college. My ears were very good up until just a few years ago. Not good enough to be a mastering engineer, but certainly within the range of a decent sound guy at a good recording studio. Most of my work was doing live show sound.

Unfortunately, the last couple of years, my hearing has deteriorated markedly. My ears ring mercilessly and at quite a few frequencies at once. My left ear can't hear anything that comes out of a tweeter, and worse that that, aliases horribly. My right ear is quite a bit better, but still nowhere near the finely tuned instrument it once was.

For years I was primarily a keyboard player. We have a Steinway baby grand in our living room. Unfortunately, the sound of a piano really tweaks my bad ear. I always played guitar, but not anywhere near the level At which I played keyboards. Now with my hearing damage, acoustic guitar is one of the few things that still sounds good to me. I've spent the last four years primarily on guitar as my main instrument and am much better now. I'm still not at the level where I can think music and watch my fingers move like I could on piano, but I'm slowly catching up.

I really don't enjoy the sound of a band anymore. I am carving out a niche where I do the fingerstyle arrangements similar to a solo player, but functioning as a band under a singer. Right now I am working with a girl singer and we trade of singing melodies and harmonies. The female/male voices work really well with my hearing in that we are often a tenth rather than a third apart and this doesn't seem to alias anywhere near as bad in my more damaged ear.

With my reduced hearing, audio quality is even more important than it used to be when I play. It used to be that if the sound was to bright or too boomy, or the monitors weren't right, I could just roll with it. Now I am really picky. I try to play at conversationally low levels: a little louder than just an acoustic in a room, but not by much. If the sound isn't just right, I don't hear what I'm doing well enough to play well.

So when I ask the question: "Is it just me?" I really am quite serious. I know what I think I'm hearing, but I really am not confident in it at all.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
No offense taken. I have done live sound re-enforcement professionally since about 1988 when I graduated from college. My ears were very good up until just a few years ago. Not good enough to be a mastering engineer, but certainly within the range of a decent sound guy at a good recording studio. Most of my work was doing live show sound.

Unfortunately, the last couple of years, my hearing has deteriorated markedly. My ears ring mercilessly and at quite a few frequencies at once. My left ear can't hear anything that comes out of a tweeter, and worse that that, aliases horribly. My right ear is quite a bit better, but still nowhere near the finely tuned instrument it once was.

For years I was primarily a keyboard player. We have a Steinway baby grand in our living room. Unfortunately, the sound of a piano really tweaks my bad ear. I always played guitar, but not anywhere near the level At which I played keyboards. Now with my hearing damage, acoustic guitar is one of the few things that still sounds good to me. I've spent the last four years primarily on guitar as my main instrument and am much better now. I'm still not at the level where I can think music and watch my fingers move like I could on piano, but I'm slowly catching up.

I really don't enjoy the sound of a band anymore. I am carving out a niche where I do the fingerstyle arrangements similar to a solo player, but functioning as a band under a singer. Right now I am working with a girl singer and we trade of singing melodies and harmonies. The female/male voices work really well with my hearing in that we are often a tenth rather than a third apart and this doesn't seem to alias anywhere near as bad in my more damaged ear.

With my reduced hearing, audio quality is even more important than it used to be when I play. It used to be that if the sound was to bright or too boomy, or the monitors weren't right, I could just roll with it. Now I am really picky. I try to play at conversationally low levels: a little louder than just an acoustic in a room, but not by much. If the sound isn't just right, I don't hear what I'm doing well enough to play well.

So when I ask the question: "Is it just me?" I really am quite serious. I know what I think I'm hearing, but I really am not confident in it at all.

Thanks for the explanation. I vaguely recalled you mentioning something about a bad ear. I do, in fact, wonder if some of your dissatisfaction with the sound/processing equipment is a function of fluctuations in your hearing. I lost my high frequency hearing due to a series of ENT infections. My ears ring mercilessly too. With hearing devices, I've regained most of that HF. And the ringing recedes some while wearing them. Prior to the hearing devices, I swapped guitars, amps, and speakers like crazy. Something would just stop sounding good and it would drive me crazy. I kept getting brighter and brighter Taylor guitars. After the devices, I bought 3 new Martin dreadnoughts and I'm a happy camper. I also refrain from any gig that is loud. It causes distortion and pain in my ears. And, that's OK because I'm a folkie. Acoustic bluegrass is OK. Bluegrass on stage with mics requires hearing protection for me.

I don't think there is much too the body Rez except 4 band para EQ, shelving, filters, compression, and a small bit of reverb tail. Other than finding something "better", or getting bored as we often do, I'm not sure there is anything to cause offense to the ears.

Cheers
Old 07-18-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I've gone though a number of piezo base pickups that benefited from the TC Body Rez in the Play Acoustic Pedal. With the Fishman Aura Plus system, I don't need any pedals. I plug in direct and go. But, for my K&K, I actually like the Body Rez feature....
Yep, that's to my (too long) point as well. I think the Body Rez, in particular, works really nicely with a passive piezo like the K&K. That touch of compression, EQ, and splash of reverb really complements that style of pickup. I can't see it doing much for the Baggs Element or Fishman Matrix or anything active for that part.

Obviously the Aura & Tonedexter are more advanced devices than the Body Rez and they seem to work miracles with whatever runs into them.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 07-18-2017, 11:21 AM

Hi,

I tried Body Rez, Fishman Aura, Zoom A2 and A3, Korg (a hundred years ago), Yamaha AG-Stomp. I did not like any of them.

Fell out of love? Never been in love.

cu

erniecaster
Old 07-18-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
When I first got my Voicelive 3, I couldn't get enough of the "BodyRez" modeling. Slowly, my ears started to adjust and I grew to prefer the sound of the guitar without it. When I got my Boss VE8 and AD-2 pedals, I really liked the sound of the body resonance modeling all over again, but now some months later, this love affair has gone away as well. I remember going through the same love to dislike thing with my Line6 acoustic several years ago.

Is it just me, or do a person's ears eventually learn to hear through the trickery? I really, really liked it at first, and it bothers me to the point where I'd rather leave off the effect now.

I've gone through something similar with vocal harmonizers: initial love gradually turning into mild, then more intense dislike.
It only does its magic with a piezo. It did almost NOTHING with my Baggs M1.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

The audience doesn't care

Part of that process was based on the truth that audiences-don't-care about our pickup sound (unless it's making their ears bleed, and feeding back). Once I start a gig, I have 30 seconds to grab their attention, and if I don't have their attention, it doesn't matter what kind of guitar, pickup, PA I'm using.
So. Much. This.

I want my live rig to work and be simple and not annoy me/sound as good as I can make it while still having it "work" in live applications (which is way, way different than recording). Beyond that, as long as it works and meets those requirements, I'm generally not too picky.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:57 AM

I gave up on the Fishman aura stuff rather quickly. I currently augment any pickups with a mic and eq the pickup.

I'm not really interested in modeling... However, I will say that some of the tone dexter clips are pretty impressive.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 07-20-2017, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I'm a fan of just using a good pre-amp. I use the RNP, 2 channel, one for guitar and one for my mic. It makes every guitar I own sound better than just going straight in. I've tried too many modelers over the years, and they just aren't the sound and punch I'm looking for.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification