The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-28-2015, 04:58 PM

Default guitar cable for "monitor out"

Well...I guess I should know about this stuff already but apparently I need help. Yesterday I had my PA stuff out. This would be a Soundcraft EFX8 mixer and Yamaha DXR10 speakers. This was set up in my house, I was just using one speaker, it was at low volume and my brother and I were singing and playing into a condenser mic. Everything was really good. We love just using a single mic.
Anyway...the issue came up when I had the idea of using one of my other speakers--a Behringer 10" powered speaker as a monitor. Just as an experiment. I used one of my guitar cables and plugged it into the "monitor out", and into the back of the Behringer. But I couldn't get any sound to this monitor no matter how I fiddled with things. I did take an XLR cable from the main out and plugged that into the Behringer and the speaker worked fine. (Actually, they are surprisingly good unless you need high volume).
I have since looked at the EFX8 manual and it says: "The monitor outputs are on 3-pole "A" gauge jacks and are balanced connections."
In the front of the manual they show a picture of this connection and it has two black rings versus the one ring on the guitar cable.
So...if I want to use monitors am I right to think that I am going to have to buy some cables with this 3 pole A gauge connector as I don't have any like that in my modest equipment arsenal. I'm assuming they'd be ready available on line or hopefully at a local music store. Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:33 PM

Yeah, it's a common cable often called "TRS to XLR." TRS = Tip Ring Sleeve which goes to a usual XLR microphone type connector at the other end of the cable. Just be sure to get the correct XLR end for your speaker.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:43 AM

A balanced cable with TRS to TRS connectors will also work.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:24 PM

There's no problem with the type of cable you used. An instrument cable isn't shielded against RF interference like a TRS balanced cable would be, but works just as well otherwise (ie, it'll carry the line level signal to the board just fine).
Old 03-29-2015, 04:19 PM

I have the same mixer. I'll have to try those outputs as I
I usually just use the aux send for a monitor feed. Using an unbalanced cable shouldn't be an issue though there is usually about 6dB less level running unbalanced. Also if you're running the unbalanced mono out on that mixer you need both faders up or you will get half the signal b
Old 03-29-2015, 07:50 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. Cochese, if you do experiment with the outputs, please let me know what you find out. Also, at the time I was using only one speaker for the main. I can't remember if put up both sliders. I'll have to do some more experiments myself.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:05 AM

Without knowing which model Behringer speaker you are using it is hard to be specific, but sometimes you need to actively switch inputs between xlr or instrument cable. On our analog Allen and Heath mixer for example we won't hear a thing from an instrument input if we haven't pressed the pad button (the pad button drops the input level on the xlr input and at the same time activates the tele input on the same channel strip). If it is a combined xlr/tele input then either contact should work though the levels may be a bit off, you certainly shouldn't get silence.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-30-2015, 08:20 AM

You shuold have got sound using the TS-TS cable, but there may have been a humm noise, too. Bet you didn't have the monitor send (it may be 'aux send') on the mixer's mic channel turned up if you tried the main monitor send volume with no luck.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-30-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelakekid2 View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. Cochese, if you do experiment with the outputs, please let me know what you find out. Also, at the time I was using only one speaker for the main. I can't remember if put up both sliders. I'll have to do some more experiments myself.
I hooked up my Soundcraft EFX 8. For the monitor outs to work the Monitor push button under the master LED's must be out or up. If the monitor button is engaged the monitor outs still work but you must also engage the PFL button on the channel you want to send to the monitors. The monitor level control works independently of the yellow master faders. When the monitor switch is engaged the signal is "mono" and when out stereo.

Using a balanced cable will give you more output on those outputs. Running unbalanced should still give you enough level to run in most circumstances.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification