The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-07-2024, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I struggle to understand how something doesn't feel up to the quality of a Gibson etc? The Epiphone factory surely uses the same tools as the Gibson shop etc? A guitar in the Epi shop is put together the same way as one in the Gibson shop. I honestly think of people were blindfolded and handed various guitars, they'd not be able to tell the difference.
I’m no expert but I can tell the difference. The finish is thicker on Epiphone (and most other imports) and they use cheaper parts and woods. Every Gibson I’ve held was just better made, had a thinner finish and a neck profile that I prefer. The Épis feel like a coated M&M with the amount of poly on them. Yes it’s a first world problem but if I’m gonna spend my dollars I’d rather it have the features that I like. Maybe it’s just unachievable at the lower price point. I’ve been looking hard at the new Harmony Comet with nitro finish made in USA. Need to try one in person.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
I see Epiphone has just released their new 1959 ES 335 model. It is supposed to have Gibson quality electronics, Gibson custombucker pickups… a pretty true to form reissue version of the 1959 Gibson ES 335.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tar-cherry-red
Ooooo… that looks nice! Now it’s on my “wishlist”
Old 04-16-2024, 08:09 AM

xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 04-16-2024 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:13 AM

Epiphones are all good imitations of Gibsons.

But if I couldn't afford a Gibson, I doubt I'd settle for an Epiphone. There are plenty of other good brands to choose from that aren't poor cousins of another brand and don't have the Gibson price tag. Guild, Hagstrom, Hamer, Harmony, Reverend, Yamaha . . . . Even Fender offers some good humbucker options.

You could also go the used route. A good used Gibson is a step up from a good new Epiphone.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 04-16-2024 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Epiphones are all good imitations of Gibsons.

But if I couldn't afford a Gibson, I doubt I'd settle for an Epiphone. There are plenty of other good brands to choose from that aren't poor cousins of another brand and don't have the Gibson price tag. Guild, Hagstrom, Hamer, Harmony, Reverend, Yamaha . . . . Even Fender offers some good humbucker options.

You could also go the used route. A good used Gibson is a step up from a good new Epiphone.
I may be wrong, and I certainly don't have the experience or ear of some of you folks who have more time on electric guitars, but I've found that Epiphone seems to be more in line with the Gibson feel and tone than the others. Those other guitars are, or can be, great guitars, and in some instances better than Gibson. But, they usually have a feel and tone that are their own. If your goal is to get as close to a Gibson as possible, an Epiphone is a good option. I do of course realize that some other companies (like Heritage) do in fact attempt to clone the Gibson, and there's nothing wrong with that either. I'm not sure they have the same tone though?
Old 04-21-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
I see Epiphone has just released their new 1959 ES 335 model. It is supposed to have Gibson quality electronics, Gibson custombucker pickups… a pretty true to form reissue version of the 1959 Gibson ES 335.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tar-cherry-red
Actually they are 355 models.
A new Gibson 355 Custom will run your north of US$6K.
The Epi version (I like the white) is US$1.3K. At this price, I am gonna take a shot at one.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Based on some good reviews and consensus that it’s a sleeper guitar , I may pull the trigger on a Yamaha aex-520. Supposed to be light weight, mini humbuckers, and the finish looks to be fairly thin compared to my Ibanez. It’s probably not a huge departure from mine but folks say it’s like a hollowbody les Paul.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars